News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

2019 Tour de Primes

Started by chooka03, February 01, 2019, 06:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=8409#125223

I'm looking for something different to do. I might give this a crack for 4 weeks  :crazy

:rocks

tazzduke

Hi Chooka03

I was thinking the same last night, threw a few cores and the gpu on to it for a test run.

This project really heats up the computer lol.

Good luck
Mark

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

I wish they had given us more of a heads up though. I only saw this message this morning. Guess I'll have to dump a lot of Rosetta work to begin.
I'm only going to use CPU task though. PPSE (LLR), & LLR (MEGA)

Actually.... when they refer to MEGA Primes, do they mean running Proth Mega Prime Search LLR (MEGA) or Generalized Fermat Prime Search n=17 Mega (GFN-17-Mega)

Edit - Maybe I'll do GPU tasks also...it's only for 1 month :)

Edit #2 - I re read the tips - • Only run GFN on a GPU. Use your CPU for LLR tasks where it will be much more efficient.

Dingo

I started running Primegrid yeaterday afternoon abd am running CPU, (PPS,PPSE and MEGA) I am not using the app_config to make cpu apps run multi threaded, as detailed on the forum. http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=8409#125783   I am running GFN 16,17 and 18 on my GPU as well.

The rsults are here http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/tdp_2019.php

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

Hey Dingo, when they say change the cache to "0", does that mean I have to set that for each PC running Primegrid? If so, is there a way to do this for all machines using BOINCTASKS?
Because I had it set to 0 today but found no CPU tasks were downloading, just GPU work? Once I set it to 1 day's work, the CPU tasks downloaded.

I'm not bothering with the app_config file either.

chooka03

Gee.... Primegrid runs HOT doesn't it! I can feel the temperature rise in my study even with the air con going. 30.1 at my monitor I've also seen my T/R struggling once again and throttling back to 3.0Ghz :(

JugNut

Yea those LLR work units run really hot,  on your threadripper i'd use no more than 16 threads at a time.

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dingo

Primegrid will test your machines as they run HOT HOT HOT.

BOINC Tasks you can change the "Boinc Preference" on one machine at a time not all at once and the priciple is the same as in Boinc Manager below.

The whole idea of the Challenge is to find Prime Numbers and to do this you must be the first to process the work unit and send it back.  That is why "Store at least X days of work" and "Store up to an additional X days of work" are set to "0".

The preference thing is a bit difficult.  If you have never set preferences in Boinc Manager at the machine level then you are using your Global preferences that was set on on some project in the past http://www.primegrid.com/prefs.php?subset=global and you can change this and it will change all machines the next time they update or the BOINC client is stopped and re started, not BOINC Manager as stopping and starting the manager does nothing.  

However, If you have ever changed the preferences in Boinc Manager then you are using local preferences for that machine only.  You will need to one of the following on all the machines where you have a local preference.

When you open the "Computing Preferences" in Boinc Manager, look at the top it will say that you aree using Local or Global.
a.  If it says "Using Local preferences" then you can.

1.  If you have set you Global preferences on Primegrid then click the button "Use web prefs" , or
    2.  If you want to keep all the local peference change the options in Boinc Manager.

b.  Same as a. but the reverse

a LOCAL preference over rules a GLOBAL.

I have a different preference on each machine because I want to change the CPU % etc locally.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dingo

Just a reminder of the following:

There's only 5 sub-projects that do not count:

* Sophie Germain (SGS) -- it's too small
* GFN-15 -- it's too small

* GCW-Sieve -- you can't find primes with a sieve task
* PPS-Sieve -- you can't find primes with a sieve task

* AP27 -- The primes found here are way too small

Everything else counts.

Radioactive@home graph

chooka03

:holy-moly I dropped the CPU usage to 25% on the T/R.....y CPU temp didn't change! 67/68 degrees!  :faint:
I think I'm going to have to give the case a good clean and reapply some thermal paste.

I've taken some of your advice Jugnut and slashed the CPU usage on my PC's. Can't be bothered with the others.

chooka03

A discovery already!!

http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/tdp_2019.php

PPSE

He can add it to the swag of those he's got lol  :worship :jester:

tazzduke

Hi All

Yeah I would have liked to had a go on this Tour De Primes, but too much heat in my study as well, would have cooked everything (Summer).

Its allright for those Northern Hemisphere crunchers with the Wild Winter they are having.

Good luck to those that are having a crack, may the prime be with you.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

That had crossed my mind too Tazzduke. It's stinking hot and now loud as hell with 6 PC's crunching prime. A whole month?? :faint:
I may follow your lead. It's 31.8 right now in mt study and thats with the rest of the house at 24 degrees.

A great time for the Northern hemisphere indeed.

chooka03

Uh Oh...looks like the decisions been made for me. The wife blew a gasket in regards to the heat  :boom:
Think I'll give this challenge a miss....if I know what's good for me. :thumbdown:

chooka03

LOL...I see the die hard Primegrid crunchers are doing well so far!

:driver-crazy