News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

2019 Tour de Primes

Started by chooka03, February 01, 2019, 06:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Yup the more crunching power you have the more chance to find a prime.  I am still trying and have 238 tasks pending which means I was the first to return the task and if it is a Prime it is mine.

:AUS: :uk :sc :USA1 :ch :rocks :can :fr :rom :NZ :pf

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

WOW  :faint:
Mot sure if this will work - http://www.primegrid.com/primes/?section=primelist&userid=1178

Has anyone seen Scott Brown's stats?  :faint:
Check out how many primes he's discovered. It's crazy!  :crazy

Oh and I believe he's a world record holder.

http://www.primegrid.com/download/pps-F2543548.pdf

chooka03

So how does this work guys?

http://www.primegrid.com/workunit.php?wuid=596203723

Scott Brown's i7-3770S completed this PPSE WU in 819 sec (well that' the run time anyway) and my Threadripper completed the wu in 2009 seconds. What am I missing here?
All my PPSE work units are taking 2000 seconds. Is that longer than usual?

Also.... if the wingman finished 1sr, do they get the credit if a prime is discovered? Meaning, if I have very few 1st validations, am I wasting my time?

Even an i5 8400 finished a PPSE WU in 635sec vs my 4930K which finished in 1800 seconds?
http://www.primegrid.com/workunit.php?wuid=596107468

I'm not really sure how this all works.

Dingo

He has put in the app_config to use multiple threads I think.  The run tine is 819 but the CPU time is 1323.5.

I have just started using the config file and am using this on my 16 thread Ryzon

<app_config>
  <app_version>
      <app_name>llrPPSE</app_name>
      <cmdline>-t 4</cmdline>
      <avg_ncpus>4</avg_ncpus>

<cmdline>-t 1</cmdline>
      <avg_ncpus>1</avg_ncpus>
  </app_version>
  <app_version>
      <app_name>llrPPS</app_name>
      <cmdline>-t 5</cmdline>
      <avg_ncpus>5</avg_ncpus>
  </app_version>
  <app_version>
      <app_name>llrMEGA</app_name>
      <cmdline>-t 5</cmdline>
      <avg_ncpus>5</avg_ncpus>
  </app_version>
</app_config>

EDIT:  the conffig only seems to be downloading PPSE work for some reason.
EDIT 2 I changed the config file so PPSE only used one core and the other tasks downloaded ??  Something to do with total of 11 ??
No answer for the i5 is seems very quick.

My machine was doing a PPSE between 1500 and 2000 seconds on a single thread.  Still waiting to see a new tasks run through on 4 threads.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

chooka03

Oh ok. Thanks Dingo  :thumbsup:
I just re read this bit.. " He (or she) who finds the prime FIRST is the discover of the prime. It's a competition between you and your wingman. While having a fast computer helps, your computer is only useful when it's running a task."

Hmmm... I think I might be wasting my time then. I have bugger all 1st validations.

Dingo

Your wingman on that first task does not have hperthreading tuned on so 1 core is one core not two threads.

EDIT:  Just looked at the second wingman and he also is running 6 cores no Hyperthreeading. 

CPU type   GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S CPU @ 3.10GHz [Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9]
Number of processors   8
Coprocessors   ---

My computer has hyperthreading on which I might turn off later:

CPU type   AuthenticAMD
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor [Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1]
Number of processors   16

@Chooka You have a lot of tasks "Pending" which means you were the first to return the task.

Radioactive@home graph

chooka03

Oh ok.

Gee...well I tried that app_config file and I see it just runs 1 WU at a time. Is that right?
I have my BOINC settings to "use 50% of CPU"

I notice it now says (16 CPU's) because I set mine to "16" as that's the number of cores I have. I thought it would run 16 WU's consecutively? Mind you... My T/R is now running at 70% load but back to full speed! yay  :crazy

Hope this works -

Dingo

It runs what ever you state as long as you have enough cores or threads.   You set yours to 16 so it will run one task on 16 cores.  if you set it to 5 it would run 3 tasks five each but you would not use the 16th core unless you had a application set to 1.

I would abort all the ones "Waiting to Start" if you are going to leave it at 16 so you can return work quicker.  

I edited the post I put up before as I found that your second wingman does not have hyperthreading on either so is using true cores not threads.

Which one is set to 50%, it must be % "CPU Time" which will just use 50% of the CPU processing power  ??  Unless you have 32 threads and you set "% of the processors" to 50% which is 16 threads ??

Radioactive@home graph

chooka03

Ahhhh ok.
No I have it set to 50% of the CPU's.

So I tried setting it to 5 and you are right. I now have 3 WU's running. I'm not worried about the spare core. The GPU can have it lol. So would 3 tasks running at the same time be best? And I gather that I leave the CPU usage to 50%?

I just tried setting it to 100% but I think that's going to be too much?

Edit - Wow... If I just ran 1 WU across 16 cores, WU's complete in about 10min instead of 30min. I'll wait and see what 3 WU's does across 16 cores.

chooka03

Nope...just can't get my head around these app configs  :compbash:
Trying to set it up for my 6 core and I don't know if I should have BOINC set to 50% or 92%. Then in the app config, if I set it to >1<, 6WU's run. If i set it to >2< & 92% usage, then 5 WU's run.
If I set it to >2< and 50% CPU usage, then 3 WU's run :(

I get so frustrated when app configs are involved :thumbdown:

chooka03

Ok ok .... I managed to find a few minutes for testing. This is what I came up with.

i7 4930K 6C/12T

1) App config setting - >2<. @ 50% CPU usage set in BOINC = 640 seconds. That has 3 WU's running consecutively not including the GPU WU. 640/3 = 213.3 seconds/WU.
2) App config setting - >2<. @ 92% CPU usage set in BOINC = 980 seconds. That has 5 WU's running consecutively not including the GPU WU. 980/5 = 196.0 seconds/WU.
3) App config setting - >6<. @ 50% CPU usage set in BOINC = 314 seconds. That has 1 WU's running consecutively not including the GPU WU. 314/1 = 314.0 seconds/WU. (Funny enough, changing BOINC from 50% to 92% made no difference what so ever.)
4) App config setting - >1<. @ 50% CPU usage set in BOINC = 1260 seconds. That has 6 WU's running consecutively not including the GPU WU. 1800/6 = 210.0 seconds/WU. (I think this would hurt my GPU crunching as it appears starved of a core)

Firstly...have I done the above correctly?
Secondly, it would appear that running >2< @ 92% is the best option? Or is it the first method at 50% CPU because it finishes in 640 seconds?

Did I get that right?
:fingers

Dingo

You add the complexity with changing the % usage.  I have 16 threads and I am running at 93.75% so I am using 15 cores for CPU work and .203% on my GPU.  I have set my app_config to 5 and have 3 tasks running each using 5 threads.  I am only crunching PPS and MEGA tasks and because all the tasks are not the same they are running between 1700 and 4000 seconds for MEGA and between 1090 aand 5000 for PPS.  I only change my % when the computer runs slow and with Primegrid I can max it out.
http://www.primegrid.com/results.php?hostid=914558

Not sure if that helps  No matter what your times are a mile better than mine and it may be because of the % usage ???

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

I see we have two members of the Team that has found a prime in the 2019 Tour de Primes.  

:congrats01 to David Steel and GlenM74 for finding a Prime each during this Challenge.

v: :rocks v:

Radioactive@home graph

chooka03

:bravo

Shame they aren't here to read it :)

chooka03

Quote from: Dingo on February 06, 2019, 12:07:55 AM
You add the complexity with changing the % usage.  I have 16 threads and I am running at 93.75% so I am using 15 cores for CPU work and .203% on my GPU.  I have set my app_config to 5 and have 3 tasks running each using 5 threads.  I am only crunching PPS and MEGA tasks and because all the tasks are not the same they are running between 1700 and 4000 seconds for MEGA and between 1090 aand 5000 for PPS.  I only change my % when the computer runs slow and with Primegrid I can max it out.
http://www.primegrid.com/results.php?hostid=914558

Not sure if that helps  No matter what your times are a mile better than mine and it may be because of the % usage ???

Thanks Dingo.
I just decided on the running of >2< and 50% usage on my Hexacores. That'll do bugger it :)
I have noticed a HEAP more 1st's so I guess something is going right.

Edit - I just looked at your link Dingo. Your PPSE run times are what mine were like prior to using my current settings. Mine have come down to around 800 seconds.
It's a difficult pill to swallow only using a fraction of the cores available but the WU's are finishing much quicker.

Mt T/R is set to >5< and 60% usage, so I have 4 WU's crunching + the GPU. My speed is down to 3.4Ghz in task manager due to the heat but I can handle that.

:AUS: