News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Manual Sieving.

Started by Dingo, December 09, 2019, 08:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

I have been doing some manual sieving and thought that it found the numbers that would most likely be primes.  Well I asked the question on the Primegrid forum and the Project Scientist informed me that was absolutely wrong as the sieveinf ound numbers that were not Primes.

My Question:

What is the meaning of the two numbers of Manual Sieving. Is Sieving finding numbers that might be Prime ?

959815134871698800641 | 709500654^2097152+1
959815195922830196737 | 802617394^2097152+1

A layman's answer if possible.

Ravi Fernando, Project scientist, gave me the following answer.

QuoteIt's the opposite: sieving identifies numbers that definitely aren't prime, because they have nontrivial factors. The vertical bar symbol "|" means "divides", or in normal English "is a factor of". So what you wrote says that the two GFN-21 numbers on the right, each with over 18 million digits, are multiples of the 21-digit numbers on the left, and in particular can't be prime. This saves us the work of testing the 18-million-digit numbers further.

Related thread: here.
[/size]

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA