News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

If you use app_config.xml then must see this

Started by Dingo, August 25, 2019, 05:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

PrimeGrid: Upcoming REQUIRED changes to app_config.xml

If you don't know what app_config.xml is, or if you don't use it for PrimeGrid's LLR apps, you can ignore this notice. This doesn't affect you.
But if you are using app_config.xml on any of our LLR apps, we are changing the plan class of the LLR app versions, and therefore your app_config.xml won't work after the changes. For details, as well as what you should do right now, please see this message. Comments, questions, and discussion are also located in that thread.   Also see this message.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

Hey Dingo,
With the Tour De Prime on, could you please post the modified app_config that now works?
I know you've posted the full list somewhere but I can't find it. I'd like the one for PPSE if that's possible?

I can't remember how this really worked.

Thank you :)

Andrew

chooka03

Gee... got to remember how this works. PPSE is best change of a prime from memory. Not sure about the GPU side of things. GFN 16?
Dingo going for another MEGA this year?

I think my Radeon cards are a waste of time against the NVIDIA cards like the 2070. Maybe I should just go CPU only?

chooka03

Is this right?

<app>
<app_name>llrPPSE</app_name>
<max_concurrent>4</max_concurrent>
</app>
<app_version>
<app_name>llrPPSE</app_name>
<plan_class>mt</plan_class>
<cmdline>-t 1</cmdline>
<avg_ncpus>1</avg_ncpus>
<max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>
</app_version>

For a 6C/12T pc does the max concurrent change to 1 and the other "1's" below become 6 ? Is that right?
Running at 50% CPU.

tazzduke

Greetings Chooka03

Don't need it anymore as you can stipulate in your preferences how many cores and how many task do download.

Cheers
Mark

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

I'll PM you Mark.

Sadly I can't get my head around how the new way works. If I have 7 PC's all crunching PG and each pc has a different core count, I don't know how to set that up.
Do you still need to set your CPU usage to 50% to basically turn off H/T?

It's taken years for me to understand the old app_config way.

I have no idea.  :cry

kashi

As well as the default BOINC separate preferences as on other projects of Home, School and Work, PrimeGrid has an additional 10 preference configurations available, Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.

So you can have 13 different computers attached to PrimeGrid, all with different preference settings.

Setting your CPU usage to 50% does not turn off hyperthreading. Turning off hyperthreading is done in the BIOS. If you are crunching something on GPU as well, it is usually better to leave hyperthreading turned on and limit the number of cores/threads used by CPU applications.

chooka03

Quote from: kashi on February 01, 2020, 11:44:52 AM
As well as the default BOINC separate preferences as on other projects of Home, School and Work, PrimeGrid has an additional 10 preference configurations available, Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.

So you can have 13 different computers attached to PrimeGrid, all with different preference settings.

Setting your CPU usage to 50% does not turn off hyperthreading. Turning off hyperthreading is done in the BIOS. If you are crunching something on GPU as well, it is usually better to leave hyperthreading turned on and limit the number of cores/threads used by CPU applications.

Oh god...... :faint:
Ok... at least I get the part about setting the CPU usage to 50% which means I can run a GPU task.

Are you saying that for my PC's which are only crunching a CPU wu (Like PPSE), I can have my setting set to use 100% CPU? That would be 1 w/u crunching across 4 cores on say my 3770? Even if I leave it set to 100% CPU usage?

chooka03

Finally got it allllll sorted. It's pretty much taken me all day to get it :D Not sure my wife is impressed. I've barely seen her   :wave:

If anyone gets stuck, I can now assist.

Going to look for a MEGA again Dingo?

Dingo

Just doing GFPN-17 Low and  Mega on GPU and PPSE and PPS on CPU.  I was doing GFPN-16 but too many people doing that one and my ratio of first and second was not worth it.  Although the only GFPN primes so far have been on GFPN-16 ??
Good luck and  :gt

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

chooka03

I've decided on going for the best odds to get a badge crunching PPSE & GFN - 16. If I score a badge, I'll switch to looking for a MEGA.
or something different again...PPS or GFN - 18.

Goodluck!

tazzduke

Greetings All

Well ran a few GFN16 GPU tasks as well as some PPSE CPU tasks, but now have shutoff for the time being.

@Dingo - Yep so far the Primes have been either GFN16 or PPSE and a couple of MEGA's, but we are up against some heavy hitters.

One of the crunchers leading at the moment with 3 primes already has an arsenal of 16 GPUS, a mix of GTX 2080's and Radeon VII's, so yep makes it a bit hard.

Happy Crunching.

PS, Perth is about to have a at least a 6 day stretch of 35 plus days including a 41 on Tuesday, which means for even hotter weather at the end of the Week for SA/VIC/TAS.  ouch.
PPS, well it is back to school week over here in Perth and pretty much 90 percent of the time for back to school week (Summer) its bloody hot lol.

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

Hey Tazzduke.
That's what I was alluding to when I answer Cruncher Pete the other day and mentioned the hardware we were up against. People like RFGuy_KCCO must be millionaires with the hardware he has. It's mind blowing really.
bcavnaugh - Well he's just a PG crunching legend. I think he has his plan set out pretty well these days. Same with Scott Brown.
ChelseaOilman - He's another person with VERY deep pockets.

Oh well...that's the way it goes. I'm definitely handicapped running a Radeon card.... even a Radeon VII

We have rain coming this week  :worship Can't wait!

Dingo

I am not going to stop crunching because other people have better equipment.  I am always behind the times min equipment but I am doing fine in Primegrid.

Radioactive@home graph

tazzduke

Well it wont stop me crunching either, I will plod along, I managed to score 2 x Primes last year, so hopefully I can get 2 or more this year lol.

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant