News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

SETI@HOME going into hibernation

Started by chooka03, March 03, 2020, 11:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

SETI is basically shutting down!

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=85267

"On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.

If you're currently running SETI@home on your computer, we encourage you to attach to other BOINC-based projects as well. Or use Science United and sign up to do astronomy. You can stay attached to SETI@home, of course, but you won't get any jobs until we find new applications.

We're extremely grateful to all of our volunteers for supporting us in many ways during the past 20 years. Without you there would be no SETI@home. We're excited to finish up our original science project, and we look forward to what comes next."

Lionel... what are you going to do now???
Thanks to Tony Bunce for breaking the news!

:thanks1:

Dingo

Never saw that coming. They are continually talking about new sources of data etc.  Well it has been going a long time and was the first Distributed computing project to gain such recognition and BOINC itself came from the minds of SETI programmers and Professors etc.

Must be a very bad day for Lionel, who has concentrated on SETI for his whole computing time while on this Team anyway.  Let us know what you think Lionel and where to from here.

I was doing SETI because it was my worst active project as far as Team position went.  I have moved everything over to PRPNet as a leave and forget way to keep my dedicated servers on the web active while I am away on my travels.  Not very good internet and very expensive on cruise ships.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

tazzduke

Oh well off to GPUGRID and Einstein for now.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

Daniel

:holy-moly

I wasn't expecting that either.
Although I haven't been keeping up with what's been going on over there lately.

QuoteOh well off to GPUGRID and Einstein for now.
That sounds like a good idea.
GPUGrid has work at the moment - I've been crunching these on most of my Nvidia GPUs for a few days now.
I had been doing SETI on the Intel GPUs, but I could switch those to Einstein once the SETI workunits are done.

JugNut

Wow how sudden was that?  :faint:

While I haven't done much Seti in recent times either but I was planning on giving it a push some time in the near future. I guess i'm thinking what most of us are? I wish i'd done more.
It's the same old crunchers curse.. "there's never enough money, cores or time in the day to crunch the projects the way we really want too"

But I wonder what this will do to boinc as a whole?  After boincs biggest drawcard is no more?  Hopefully many will go to Einstein or other project?  That of course would be the best outcome but only time will tell for sure.

chooka03

QuoteBut I wonder what this will do to boinc as a whole?  After boincs biggest drawcard is no more?  Hopefully many will go to Einstein or other project?  That of course would be the best outcome but only time will tell for sure.

Its funny you say that Jugnut. When I tell people about BOINC, the first thing most say is "Oh, like Folding@Home?" Runner up would be SETI :)
Even Steve on Gamers Nexus quoted Folding@Home when recently reviewing the 3990X I think it was.

Dingo

The majority of SETI members of the Team are set and forget crunchers.  It may take time for them to realise that SETI is not sending out work.  Thay may just stop using BOINC as suggested...

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Shocked me as well. They were just trying to get $'s again just a few weeks ago. Does not bode well for BOINC as a whole. "Science United" has been a flop too.

I see the "active members" are down to ~135K. That is the lowest I can remember (albeit memory sucks at my age).

https://www.boincstats.com/stats/-1/project/detail/ 

We have been away for a week and I had everything but the RPi's shut down. I started the 3 x Threadrippers this morning but am keeping the other 7 down until the equities market stabilizes (if it does). We may well be in store for a world-wide recession. COVID-19 is looming as a real threat. California has declared a state of emergency this morning ... like that will help.

As we move into Spring, California faces no water (due to no rain), no electricity (due to PG&E) and no economy (due to COVID-19). Any of you blokes have a spare bedroom?  :rofl:

:rocks

chooka03

Hi Dataman,

Yes I think a recession might be coming to Australia too. I've got a spare room for you and Karen but can you bring your own toilet paper please?  :jester:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/03/toilet-paper-is-trending-in-australia-heres-why

Stupidity is spreading faster than COVID-19 down here.

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on March 06, 2020, 02:52:52 PM
Hi Dataman,

Yes I think a recession might be coming to Australia too. I've got a spare room for you and Karen but can you bring your own toilet paper please?  :jester:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/03/toilet-paper-is-trending-in-australia-heres-why

Stupidity is spreading faster than COVID-19 down here.
:rofl:
Here it is hand sanitizer. Price gougers are selling it for up to $80 USD/bottle. People are nuts! Our species is one latte short of de-evolving into wolves. Next it will be designer face masks.
I'll send you a case of TP if you will send hand sanitizer.  :wink