News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Where to now

Started by Lionel, March 11, 2020, 12:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel

Quote from: Daniel on March 10, 2020, 09:13:31 PM
Well done Lionel.
:party: + karma

You only have until the end of the month before SETI@Home stops distributing work.
Have you decided what project(s) you'll crunch next ?

Off Topic
Not sure at this stage
Am thinking of turning off my 2 slowest puters
The other 2 will remain on as they are our work puters
Should save some $ on power bill for a while though
Any suggestions on where to go welcome (double meaning intended)
End Off Topic

and No 1 Lionel in the World.....

JugNut

Crazy times hey Lionel? It must be a culture shock hearing SETI is ending after all the years you've put in to it?

Einstein@home might be an obvious choice as to where to go,  it and SETI both use the same data sets. You should be able to get a similar amount of credit too.  Well more or less anyway and that's with just your best 2 PC's(Einstein gives much better credit). While AMD cards seem to work best (especially on Linux) you should still do pretty well with your remaining 4 GPU's & CPU's.  Then if you like it you can build purpose built rigs later on.  But until you know what your doing your remaining rigs should do very well indeed on Einstein and on most other projects too for that matter.  It just depends on what your after?

While it may be the end of an era for SETI crunching it could be the start of a whole new one for you.
You could even choose to do a mix of projects like most of us here do? It helps keeps things interesting, but that's up to you.

Good luck & crunch-on.. :crazy 

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

chooka03

Primegrid makes great use of NVIDIA cards, plus if you discover a prime number, your name goes down in the history books :)
Or Milkyway@Home is another good one.

:AUS:

Lionel

my initial thoughts were Einstein and Milky Way ... but not sure yet ... i like the idea of looking for intelligent life ... pity SKA didn't have something up and running

chooka03

Quote from: Lionel on March 12, 2020, 03:21:45 PM
my initial thoughts were Einstein and Milky Way ... but not sure yet ... i like the idea of looking for intelligent life ... pity SKA didn't have something up and running

Both great projects. Plenty of work.
You can also go down in history with Einstein@Home if your pc discovers a new neutron star. That's cool  O0

Lionel

am changing my mind a bit here
current thought is to put einstein on one of the slow puters to see how it goes
the side thought is to put milkyway on the other slow puter ...
and then see how both puters go
they are both W7 boxes so should be ok ... never know though
maybe einstein could add some additional functionality to look for narrow band signals etc ... (yes seti 2.0)