News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Solar panels

Started by jave808, January 13, 2021, 06:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jave808

Hi,
My father is looking at getting solar panels installed to reduce his electricity bill. There are 5 people that live on the block, including my father. (But not me, I live with my mother and am her carer.)

Can anyone here recommend a good company that could supply and fit panels in Newcastle NSW?

Or can anyone recommend companies to avoid?  Brand of panels etc to avoid?  Those ads on TV that say $3500 for a 6.6kW system.  Any good or just rubbish?

All responses welcome.
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

shift

I looked in to solar for a bit but didn't pull the trigger.

I asked solar quotes (the website) for recommendations and got a few. The one I would go through (and will once I have some money) is MJJ Electrical. https://mjjs.com.au/ they do Newcastle.

Avoid ausave like covid. They are a nightmare. Glad I eventually got my deposit back.

Hunter solar solutions is a good company but probably more expensive than the one you quoted.

Most good companies don't need to advertise and are run off their feet installing without paying salespeople or for commercials. That being said plenty of people seem happy with places like Aztech and arise solar (but maybe they don't know any better).

Some people get solar and don't change their behaviour/time of use etc and don't keep the panels clean. They don't see as many benefits to solar.

If it's a standard string system without optimisers then something small like a TV antenna or chimney can reduce the whole system (the whole thing is as strong as its weakest link and a small shadow makes a noticeable difference).

jave808

@shift - thanks. Will look into MJJ Electrical tomorrow.
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

chooka03

Like shift, I too started with the website Solar quotes.

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EtmNEKj5jTgeN3Mp8r8qt_5izGOempF4SDpqr7luYNkbO7dpFVx9H8aArrsEALw_wcB

It was really informative and gave me 3 options to choose from with regards to companies. After getting quotes from those 3 companies I chose one where I live and they were great!
That first electricity bill was AWESOME when the power bill dropped.
I don't seem to notice the saving as much these days with 7 pc's crunching basically 24/7.... not to mention they tightened up on the rebate (Ithink I get 11c now but I use just about all I produce thanks to my crunchers) That's a 5Kw system.

Sean

I came to post a link to the solar quotes website too.  :jester:

It has The Good Solar Guide which has lots and lots of good information. It has cost vs performance ranks for both inverters and panels.

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/good-solar-guide/contents/

Mysteron347

Hmm. Solar power - too late, you've got me started...

When the Federal government established the rebate scheme - in 2005 (I think) - a 1KW system cost $15K-20K, so essentially the rebate was 50%.

The incoming government simply maintained the rebate at the same value, so as the world price of the systems plunged, it became possible for solar installers to install a 1KW system for free. In fact, the local price was above the world price - supported by the rebate (I mean, if the installers could install the system for 7.5K say, why are they going to drop their price below the 8.5K rebate?)

So there was a great rush to install the "Free" 1K systems. In WA, all you had to do is pay for the new power meter ($750 from the monopoly supplier - and the meter belongs to THEM even 'though YOU paid for it) plus the OTT "safety" additions - like an isolation switch "so that your generator doesn't electrocute people who are working on the mains supply" Yeah - so when the local hoon wraps himself around a power pole, the repair crew visits each house in the area and turns off the solar, then returns post-repair to turn each solar-generator on again...

It's all troglodytes running the system and they don't want all this new-fangled technology stuff getting in the way...

Yes, I had a system installed "For Free" in 2009. Still working well, too.

So, a few years later, I thought I'd add another bit of solar. 3KW this time - it was the smallest available. Couldn't add a 5KW - the next step up - because of the contract which stops the rebate for power returned to the grid (a generous 7c/KWH, which they sell at 24c/KWH to other customers) if you have more that 5KW generating capacity.

So now we have it - a 5KW limit established in 2009 when a 5KW system was huge and expensive now supported by 6.6KW panels.

Well, OK - so the 6.6KW panels will get up to 5KW output more quickly as the sun rises, and drop below 5KW output more slowly as it sets - but the "extra" 1.6KW is tossed away for a substantial portion of the day.

So what we have is obsolete rules obstructing the system. Federal government financing 6.6KW but the State government doesn't allow that potential to be used.

And if we're really worried about "green" then my extra roofspace could carry even more panels which would shade the roof making the roof insulation (remember that debacle) less necessary and air conditioning less necessary - IF I was allowed to do so by the government which trumpets its "green credentials"

Yes - I've tried talking to the pollies on both sides and they pretend not to understand.

jave808

Quote from: Mysteron347 on January 22, 2021, 02:11:35 AM
Hmm. Solar power - too late, you've got me started...

No, it's not too late. I only got a quote for a system yesterday - yet to explain it to my dad and he is yet to make a decision.

So your input is valued.

Actually, if anyone is interested, I can post up the two PDF files I now have. One is the quote for a 7.77kW system - 21 panels. And the other is a quote for a 10.36kW system - 28 panels.

I would really like someone else's opinion.

All feedback welcome.

shift

Do they use most of their electricity during the day or night? Any idea?

jave808

Quote from: shift on January 22, 2021, 10:42:32 AM
Do they use most of their electricity during the day or night? Any idea?

I think mainly during the day, and some at night.

shift

If they can afford it the more expensive one is what I'd suggest. Do you think the bill that the solar people used was indicative of their normal usage or were they trying to save electricity at the time? If the bill didn't include data on the time of use then most of their estimates are useless.

The best thing they can do is use the electricity that they generate (when they generate it) that is where the most savings are. So if they are out all day and then come home and use the aircon, TV, computer, dishwasher, washing machine, lights etc they will see less savings then if they wait until the middle of the day to run the washing machine/dishwasher etc. I'm guessing with that many people in a house it would be hard to get everyone to adjust their behaviours though.

I know some people who use a clothes dryer for every load instead of using a clothes line, and people that run air cons with doors left open for dogs to walk through, these people could save a lot by modifying behaviours. Do you suspect any of the residents are guilty of similar behaviours?

jave808

Quote from: shift on January 22, 2021, 11:03:10 AM
I know some people who use a clothes dryer for every load instead of using a clothes line, and people that run air cons with doors left open for dogs to walk through, these people could save a lot by modifying behaviours. Do you suspect any of the residents are guilty of similar behaviours?

Probably, although I can't be sure. Not that many air-cons around the house (the block has two houses on it). The other residents could modify behaviours although I am not at liberty to tell them!

I will be getting another quote to compare. Stay tuned!

shift

Don't forget to delete those links or documents unless you want anyone that looks (including guest users) to know that address and your name (probably not a huge deal).

jave808

Quote from: shift on January 22, 2021, 11:08:18 AM
Don't forget to delete those links or documents unless you want anyone that looks (including guest users) to know that address and your name (probably not a huge deal).

I will delete them soon. I don't even live at that address so no big deal.

Mysteron347

Suggest you have a gander at this : https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/solar-export-limiting/ - a scheme to, at cost, limit the output of SP systems so you don't fall afoul of the rules and regulations and have your energy exports grabbed by the authorities for free.