News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Bizarrely low flops

Started by TouchuvGrey, January 16, 2021, 10:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

I personally think the best value cards for M@H is the R9 280X. At about $100 for a second hand one, it does really well at M@H and Einstein@home.
The RX480 or 580 is also a good option and better on the wallet for power usage. I see you could buy 3 x 280X for the price of 1 secondhand RX580. Again... you may want to factor in power usage though.... and heat.
When i run my 280x or even my Vega 56's, you are pumping out 80 - 90 degrees C per card.

This is where it really depends on the projects you like running. Ie - I like M@H and E@H and my cards do well at those projects..... Primegrid though.... all my cards (including the Radeon VII) get smashed by NVIDIA.

TouchuvGrey

New ( 2nd hand ) box up and running.
i5 4570, 16GB RAM, R9 280X water cooled GPU
running 1 WU at a time right now. Will run that way for a
day or so and then try 2 or maybe 3.

chooka03

Water cooled...wow  :thumbsup:
I run 2 consecutive on my 280x.

tazzduke

Congrats TouchuvGrey, no stopping you now  :cheers:

AA 24 - 53 participant

TouchuvGrey

A bit more in the mix now

Milyway@Home    GPU WU's

Machine #1  R9 280X + RX580
Machine #2  R9 280X
Machine #3  R9 280X
Machine #4  TX 580 (2)

Universe@Home

All machines running CPU WU's

chooka03

It might be early days but are you reserving a core for each of those GPU's? ie - Your 8600K is crunching 4 CPU tasks out of your 6 cores? (because you have 2 GPU's so hence reserving 2 cores)

TouchuvGrey

Thank you Chooka. As usual i have overlooked something.

Like the other day when i spent 2 hours trying to figure
out why a computer would not boot into Windows and
finally realized that i had left one connector unplugged.

chooka03

All good mate  :thumbsup:
I was looking at your credits and they were quite low. The GPU was being starved. Watch it rocket now over the next couple of days!  :cheer1: