News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Average run time for gpu tasks, app_config and Linux?

Started by shift, February 05, 2021, 12:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shift

Hi team,

I've only been running Einstein for a couple of days recently so bear with me. Is there a way for me to look up all the users with the same GPU or CPU and see how long some of their tasks take to complete? I'm wondering if my gpu tasks are taking abnormally long and would like to look at other people's run times. I also found it weird that in the boinc manager it had 0.9 cpu+1 gpu for each task. Is that the same for everyone? I'm running an asus rx560 and from memory gpu tasks take about 30-45 minutes.

Because it needs a cpu I edited the app_config XML file for my cpu project to only use 3 of my 4 cores. I'm not sure how I will deal with leaving a core free for Einstein when I'm doing multiple cpu projects though (I believe I read that just setting the number of cores in the boinc manager to 0.75 wouldn't actually work, maybe I am wrong tho)

Also I'm running Windows 10 currently but plan to switch to Linux, is that an advantage for this and other projects?

I also got 22 invalids and only 9 valids, so hopefully, I can sort that out, maybe my gpu is just too lame. Edit: I see that there are issues for everyone for the O2MDF app https://einsteinathome.org/content/discussion-thread-continuous-gw-search-known-o2md1-now-o2mdf-gpus-only?page=74

Dataman

Quote from: shift on February 05, 2021, 12:55:12 AM
Is there a way for me to look up all the users with the same GPU or CPU and see how long some of their tasks take to complete? I'm wondering if my gpu tasks are taking abnormally long and would like to look at other people's run times.
In Einstein click Community>Statistics>Top Computers. You will have to look for computers of your type. Cumbersome but that is the only way I know.

shift

chooka03

No idea if Linux is an advantage over Windows sorry.
It's been a while since I've looked at E@H.
If you are crunching other CPU tasks, you just have to accept one or 2 less cores to crunch with.

shift

I just started crunching the gamma ray pulsar binary search GPU work units (previously all I was getting were the GW GPU workunits but I wanted to try the other ones so stopped receiving the dominating GW ones). Boinc manager estimated they each needed 10 hours to complete which freaked me out but actually, they completed in 20 minutes LOL. I wonder how many of them I have to do for boinc manager to realise that they only take 20 minutes.

chooka03

Yeah I'm not sure to be honest. It does average down pretty quickly.