News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Power prices 2022

Started by chooka03, May 02, 2022, 10:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Quote from: chooka03 on August 20, 2022, 11:07:05 PM
@Dingo - Gee that connection fee is high. My Alinta letter says it's going from 116c to 117c daily charge.

Yes but it is just over $32 for a 90 day bill difference.  It is the kwh rate that is the killer on the bill.  I am just happy my bill is not going up for a few more months.  I can always look around then.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

jave808

These are the current prices that I have with the plan selected (Energy Australia)

Electricity rates

Daily supply charge $0.9350 per day
Peak Usage:
27.4813 cents/kWh

Other rates such as Off Peak / Dedicated Circuit usage:
27.4813 cents/kWh

Shoulder usage:
27.4813 cents/kWh

I think there is also a 5% discount for early payment.
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Dingo

I am also with energy Australia and there rates change depending on where you live.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

chooka03

It seems that 2023 is no better :(
This is just alllllll bad for BOINC crunching  :cry

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/electricity-prices-set-to-rise-by-up-to-30-per-cent-in-some-states-energy-regulator-says/p4y0w2sce

I can't justify adding any more hardware when I can't run it all full blast.
Really makes me a bit depressed.

ryzenmulti

Youch! At 27c/kWHr running my 5kW farm at 50% PSU power is AUD 67c/hr ($16 per 24 hours, $160 per 10 days). For comparison, you can hire 50 Premium CPU's from TSC for USD 55c per hour which would be AUD 77c at the current FX. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it when you run 100% capacity with little discovery to show for it e.g. checking primes. Being a benevolent donor of spare computer capacity has limits of practicality.
The further back you look, the further forward you can see.

COMING SOON!! (2024)
136 intel cores (no H/T), 212 AMD/ryzen cores 8 RTX GPU's, 10 Tesla GPUs and 1.5TB RAM

Home cooked twin primes using python ... it started out with 256 digits of pi and eulers number ... and has ended with
(6*(3358638*(5^6137)+177))-1 ,4297 digits, is prime
(6*(3358638*(5^6137)+177))+1 ,4297 digits, is prime

chooka03

Received this quarters power bill..... :cry
I've been using 53kWh/day (or about $14/day)  :holy-moly  That's over $1700 without my discount!  :faint:

tazzduke

Ouch Chooka03, that one hurts

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

Ouch is right.  My meter is being read this week and I think I will owe about $800 before discounts which is a lot when you consider I live alone. Also my rates go up very soon and they will add about $200 a quarter on the bill.   I have a spreadsheet to keep track of how much my bill is and read my meter each week.

Radioactive@home graph

tazzduke

Sorry this is only for comparison

My last bill was for $280.00 (I have Solar, plus 2 kids)

Daily usage was 14.82kwh, which equals to $5.53

My farm at the moment
1 x Ryzen 5700x + RTX 2060
1 x Ryzen 2700x + GTX 970 (Still can't believe this is still going)
1 x Dual E5 2470 V2 Linux Server

Now I do micro manage as well, some days they go full tilt, other days it's CPU or GPU depending on if there is any team challenges or how intense the Project is (IE Primegrid) and some days there is no crunching at all.

This is managable, but I am heading towards (saving) only having 2 x Ryzen 5700x Machines with an RTX 2060 in each, actually I would be happy with an RTX 3070 in each though lol. 

The GTX 970 and even the GTX 1060 (Plex Server) are really starting to show their age.

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

LOL... I have solar and 1 child!!  :BigGrin

The ducted air con has been running a lot over summer though.

tazzduke

Prices will rise a little this period, so many cloudy days.

Yes, totally understand how the heat is in Summer over there in QLD, felt it a few times when I have visited.

Its a different type of heat, due to the high humidity.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

I'm going to make TimB work hard to overtake me at Einstein but the upside is, it will reduce my power bills by only running my GPU's at the moment :D
My pockets aren't deep enough for the greatest GPU's AND pay power bills on top. I simply can't put BOINC ahead of my family. Got to be a more balanced approach these days.
Plus I have other projects that I want to keep a good rank in.
This upcoming 20+% power bill hike from July 1 will REALLY hurt  :cry
I wonder if we'll ever see a 30%+ DROP in prices one day. Somehow I doubt it.