News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Boinc census

Started by shift, November 03, 2022, 11:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

jave808

PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Abruraspingi

Since so many people have completed the census. There was one question that stood out to me. The one asking if you would want to start your own BOINC project

My question to you guys is, what BOINC Project would you like to make/see done?

I read about how a couple of scientists mapped out the volcanoes on Venus. They sifted through heaps of data to discover them all. That would be an interesting project and I'm sure there is more landmarks and geological curiosities to find within the Venusian data

https://source.wustl.edu/2023/03/scientists-share-comprehensive-map-of-volcanoes-on-venus-all-85000-of-them/#:~:text=Byrne%20and%20Hahn%20used%20radar,(5%20km)%20in%20diameter

chooka03

I wanted to see this one get up but I don't think it's going to happen.

https://boincsynergy.ca/blog/blackholeshome/

Abruraspingi

Yeah Black Holes at home would have been interesting.They teased it for a while but I'm at the point that I'm doubtful.

I also saw this one as well and it would be interesting if rather than simulate a particle shower it would map old and historical ones. It's amazing reading about monks seeing supernova, solar storms and meteor showers
http://aires.fisica.unlp.edu.ar/

ryzenmulti

Thanks for the link. I've done the survey for 2023. Folks get paid to crunch?!?

I would happily run 8 machines crunching 24/7 if there was a way to be paid for it. Is that even possible? My combined power supplies are well over 5 kilowatts.

:rofl:  Bashhead
The further back you look, the further forward you can see.

COMING SOON!! (2024)
136 intel cores (no H/T), 212 AMD/ryzen cores 8 RTX GPU's, 10 Tesla GPUs and 1.5TB RAM

Home cooked twin primes using python ... it started out with 256 digits of pi and eulers number ... and has ended with
(6*(3358638*(5^6137)+177))-1 ,4297 digits, is prime
(6*(3358638*(5^6137)+177))+1 ,4297 digits, is prime

Abruraspingi

There are ways to get paid such as Gridcoin and Foldcoin but they aren't really worth it as they won't even pay for your power costs
https://steemit.com/boinc/@kennybll/doing-good-and-getting-paid-to-do-it-b40db49c5f4dcest

I also have seen some people go onto folding forums and offer to lease their computers similar to cloud for a price

You could try and setup a not for profit or charity but that's a lot of work

ryzenmulti

Thanks AB, had a look at the link. I figured it was a pipedream.

My level of skepticism on humanitarian projects has never been higher in my 50+ laps around the sun. Sadly too many ongoing examples of exploitation under the cover of helping the suffrage of children and women that end up being a source of funding that actually pays for the exploitation - including religion. So much so that they are now red flags for me. I've lived long enough to watch many 100's of so called charities come and go while the underlying problem grows bigger and bigger.

The red cross fire relief (in AUS) was the final dagger for me. Grubs the lot of them. It doesn't stop me from wanting to help those less fortunate, but I'm not interested in feeding the wolves who slaughter the sheep.

COMING SOON!! (2024)
136 intel cores (no H/T), 212 AMD/ryzen cores 8 RTX GPU's, 10 Tesla GPUs and 1.5TB RAM

Home cooked twin primes using python ... it started out with 256 digits of pi and eulers number ... and has ended with

jave808

Quote from: ryzenmulti on December 27, 2023, 12:24:54 PMThe red cross fire relief (in AUS) was the final dagger for me. Grubs the lot of them. It doesn't stop me from wanting to help those less fortunate, but I'm not interested in feeding the wolves who slaughter the sheep.

I completely understand your concerns re donations to charity. Yes, the Fire relief donations in 2019/20 were meant to help those affected by the fires, but it all went to the CFS I believe. I could be wrong there.

I personally sponsor a 9yo girl in Nth Queensland through The Smith Family. I'm guessing it works as I receive short notes from her etc and I wish her well on her birthday.

I also donate to Kiva occasionally. Again, I'm guessing it works as sometimes I get updates about the people I've lent money to.

So I really don't know. You'd think with all the money and resources in the world we could end hunger and unnecessary illnesses. :-(
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Abruraspingi

I agree. I'm really against charities and really scrutinise them.

I really like AWC (Australian Wildlife Conservancy Fund) they look after large amounts of national parks. They do an amazing job and I love hiking through the parks they manage. You can see the amazing work they do for themselves.

I was a big fan of CORENA (Citizens Own Renewable Energy Australia) where it's a not for profit who installs solar panels onto the rooftop of other charities and not for profits. They add an extra thirty percent panels in order to build up a fund that will eventually pay for maintenance and installation of new panels.

A few years ago they started taking a salary and that left me a little sour.

ryzenmulti

I could really get behind Gaia@Home but it never got off the ground. Webb Telescope would be another great project. The Gaia data is fascinating, and GaiaSky is amazing software to use (can search and download). How kids can't ignore Fortnight completely and discover stuff with GaiaSky or NASA Eyes is beyond me. If someone could gamify the real life universe surely it would engage the young peoples. But wtf do I know.

NASA Eyes now has an Asteroid module that is wicked. Just in the last 10 years we now have access to real time accurate orbits of all observed NEO's and PHO's. How this doesn't captivate people is mind blowing. I would have loved it as a kid in school. No shortage of class projects ...

COMING SOON!! (2024)

Abruraspingi

The 2023 BOINC Census results are out. It's pretty much what you'd expect, I didn't see anything surpring

https://thesciencecommons.org/BOINC/Census/2023/

Dataman

Quote from: Abruraspingi on January 25, 2024, 12:07:09 AMThe 2023 BOINC Census results are out. It's pretty much what you'd expect, I didn't see anything surpring

https://thesciencecommons.org/BOINC/Census/2023/
I agree. My biggest takeaway was last poll there were 1119 responding ... this time only 552. This correlates to the dramatic drop in active BOINC participants last year. Does not bode well for the future of BOINC. BOINC desperately needs a "killer project" like SETI & WCG once were or it will fade away.

:greet

Abruraspingi

Couldn't agree with you more. I keep wondering how many people have dropped BOINC with the WCG debacle. They touted a new project once the transfer was complete but that hasn't manifested.

Also with AI and new super computers there is less reason to crunch on BOINC, especially with AI and folding models.

Folding@home received a big boost from COVID and I feel we'd need a project from NASA or something equivalent to restart interest. I kept hoping JWST or SKA would bring in a few projects

jave808

Quote from: Abruraspingi on January 25, 2024, 09:18:28 AMCouldn't agree with you more. I keep wondering how many people have dropped BOINC with the WCG debacle. They touted a new project once the transfer was complete but that hasn't manifested.

Yep, the long loss of WCG during the changeover really would of put a lot of people off crunching altogether.

PLUS another big factor is the cost of energy. Hardware is cheap enough if you go for used items but electricity is a killer.