News:

Main Menu

Graphics Slowdown

Started by MIGHTYMAN, May 02, 2009, 12:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGHTYMAN

Have the latest Nvida drivers and latest version of boinc, i find that when its running on the gpu my graphics slows down, when i stop the cuda its back to normal.
Im running a 8800Gt.

Is this normal?

yoda

As far as I know, it should follow the rules you set up in your global BOINC preferences.  If that's set to run BOINC all the time (i.e. not stop when you;re using the PC), it would probably keep running, although at a lower priority than other programs.

But I haven't had any experience with it as I only have CUDA capable cards in my crunchers which I don't use for anything else.

MIGHTYMAN

I have my Q6600 to run Boinc at all times and dont notice it affecting the computer at all, i might have to set
this to a yes at Gpugrid.

Suspend GPU work while computer is in use?
Enforced by version 6.7+

ONYX

GPUGrid totally kills my PC - Q9550 with a 9600 Nvidia

Everything is jerky, slow etc. I have to suspend it when I want to do any decent work ... otherwise, if just browsing the net, I will leave it on and endure the blockiness

veebee

my 9600 and 9500 dont seem affected when running GPUgrid - everything is smooth..

I even have a 7300 in one Q6600, running F@H and just tried Googlearth..... works better than I ever remember seeing it run before (must be all that mucking around with drivers etc I did trying to get GPUgird running on it...)

Wang Solutions

I see the same effect on my 8500GT 256MB, but my other cards are all 1GB and it is not noticeable. Is your card 256MB, 512MB?

Scott

I've got an 8800GT 512MB on Vista (with Aero enabled), and I can use the computer fine unless I want to do something particularly graphics intensive (3D games, TV on my tuner card).  In these instances there is a minor framerate hit although in most cases still usable.

MIGHTYMAN

Quote from: Wang Solutions on May 02, 2009, 09:49:33 AM
I see the same effect on my 8500GT 256MB, but my other cards are all 1GB and it is not noticeable. Is your card 256MB, 512MB?

Its a 512Mb one.

clownius

If you want problems lol a slowdown is fine for me but i BSOD if i pause crunching and restart so i learn to live with it.