News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 06, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

I share your disappointment but I'm not giving up on it just yet. It's only the beta so far, there will hopefully be some changes before it is released.

In more pleasing news I have now completed 12 CFSW tasks on Windows.:thumbsup:
They all completed in 3.2 hours and claimed 31 cr/hr which doesn't set the world alight but is heaps better than whatever CreditNew host scaling horror was happening with my Linux tasks. Wingmen will drag that down but not as far as some of the last Linux tasks I completed which claimed 23 cr/hr and were granted 21-22 cr/hr. Atrocious. Both OS on the same Nehalem @ 3.6GHz with only 7 cores loaded.

Dataman

I my case I have already crunched my target of 5 years for HCC. I have a lot of work to do for Shisto, Leish, Malaria & SWater. I'm keeping some GPU's busy maping the Galaxy but I am so above my electrical  use for this month.  :cry2:

I have ruby in SWater but they had the validator lock up for 6 hours last night and 2/3 of my wu's didn't validate. It should be a BIG night tonight. :dance: Maybe straight to emerald .... not likely thought.

:aus1: :US

kashi

+1 for your Ruby.:thumbsup:

Well I was keeping a minimal cache of only enough work for each active core so I wouldn't end up with too many quorum of 2 tasks in my cache before it switches to single replication. So what happens: I go to bed and 1 hour later the tasks finish and the server is out of work. Wake up, have some fish, kiwi fruit and a cup of Precious Eyebrows then stroll back and check the computer. Arghh, idle for 6 hours. Servers have feelings too, after I have criticised the WCG one for slow validation it has decided to get back at me, "right, now he's  asleep we'll starve him of work, cackle, cackle". "We won't give him a proper server status page like other projects because he's too dumb/we can't be bothered/it's too hard."

Have switched to Docking, it's a relief actually, fair dinkum fixed credit again plus I've been neglecting other projects and doing so much badge hunting that I was at severe risk of turning into a badgeaholic.;D

Dataman

WCG is FUBAR this morning. Validator backed up and no SWater.  :furious:

tazzduke

Morning fellow members, too late for me, my name is Tazzduke and I have a mild case of badgeacolism,  :rofl:

AA 24 - 53 participant

kashi

They're back.....

Haha couldn't stay away long, could I. New batch are finishing in 2.9 hours, are single replication and currently claiming/granting 34 cr hr. Now that's more like it.:thumbsup:

Dataman

I have over 350 PV's (on a single quorum project), over 60 invalids and over 60 inconclusives. I turned it off and turned on Schisto. It was a nice project roll out and then the wheels fell off the bus.

:aus1:

kashi

Urk, invalids, did they only start appearing in recently received tasks? I haven't had any invalids or inconclusives yet but I've only completed 97 tasks so far, 82 valid and 15 pending waiting on wingmen.

Hmm, I wonder if CFSW runs homogeneous redundancy. On one project that had HR I used to get matched with server type Xeons which returned work slowly and claimed low. Even though my CPU was virtually identical to a Q9450, because it was called a Xeon X3350 it got matched with other Xeons because I think BOINC used the processor name string instead of the vendor string together with the CPU ID, which is a more reliable way to match CPU types. Don't know if BOINC still works that way, I remember it caused invalid problems in the past on some projects with different CPU types that had the same/similar name string. If your CPU type was the odd man out in a quorum of 3 after an inconclusive match of the first 2 replications, your task would get marked invalid and you would receive no credit.

My current CPU is a Xeon too, a W3520 which is the equivalent of an i7 920. Maybe that's why I'm not getting any invalids or perhaps it's because I have a one day cache of CFSW work so haven't finished any recently released tasks yet.     

danhtruong

Kashi,
You're absolutely right actually.  I didn't even look twice at the WCG Beta results.

I just know that i recently enabled Beta testing and assumed that the beta work units were all processed by the GPU for WCG.

I'm not quite sure how to explain my results... other than there must be some CPU thrown into the mix as well.

kashi

Yep you possibly received a few CPU betas. I must have received one or two also because my beta stats show 156 tasks completed in about 20 hours which is an average of 7.7 minutes per task. The longest beta GPU task I completed had a runtime of about 4 minutes and most were much shorter. Strange, I can't remember receiving any beta CPU tasks, maybe a few sneaked through or I had done some earlier when I first enabled beta and had forgotten about them.

Or perhaps they could have been trying to change the GPU tasks from CPU time to elapsed time and added a little runtime for the first ones they missed. Or something like that, it's only a GPU beta and still quite unpolished in some respects so little quirks like that are possible. It's certainly not going to alarm CPU only people, I've still got less than a day showing for beta for work that if done on my CPU would be almost Bronze badge level.

Dataman

One of WCG's problems is they are 100% date driven to release. They toss out 10K wu's and then put it into production. Most memebrs have no idea what a beta test is and just want a badge.

I do know one thing; since I shut it down yesterday morning I stopped getting invalids, inconclusives, errors and single quorum PV.  I rotated the farm to MW and Einstein. Shut down half the machine as it is getting warm here (88F yesterday).

:aus1:

kashi

Well I stayed on, I have suspended the 2 tasks with quorum of 2 I have in my cache just in case they get marked invalid which would cause my computer to become untrusted and all single replication tasks from then on to go inconclusive and risk becoming invalid. That could create a vicious circle. I have assumed the single replication tasks are OK if they don't go inconclusive as all mine are validating so far. When the periodical check of trustworthiness comes I may be in strife.

BOINC has wilfully disobeyed my resource share settings so I've set Docking to No new tasks for now and downloaded a few days of CFSW work to ensure I don't run dry again. Fingers crossed that it will soon be time for a Silver song:

And it's hi-ho silver lining
And away you go now, baby
I see your sun is shining
But I won't make a fuss
Though it's obvious

gm:

tazzduke

Greetings fellow crunchers

So far (knock on wood), I have had no invalids or inconclusives with CFSW, but I did have a outage on my computer over the same period when CFSW was having some glitches causing invalids and such.

Happy crunching
Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

I only had one inconclusive but it is gone now and validated I think as there are no errors.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

JugNut

Hi all, I wonder if I could be so bold as to ask a few questions rattling around in my noggin ?

And I hope you'll excuse my noobish questions & if this is not the right place to ask or it has been asked before err sorry ;D   Questions like........

... I accidentally discovered WCG had a challenge issued by B@A ie: "One week Challenge" in Computing for Sustainable Water that finishes on 29/04/2012.  My question is, is there a central place on the board that one might peruse upcoming challenges for all Boinc projects between AA's so as to help the team?

&... I read somewhere that Kashi said there's very few people doing SIMAP  & then went on to another topic.  Err are we supposed to be doing SIMAP during non AA times? Again is there a way to find out?

Also... I too have now noticed 1 invalid and now 30+ inconclusive cfsw. Is there a way to stop the flow on effect as Dataman & Kashi mentioned, other than stopping?

And even....Kashi you mentioned "tasks with quorum of 2". I understand basically what it means but... is there a way of checking quorum while the task is on your system with out going to WGC & checking & re-checking in boinc manager one by one?

I have read so many posts and help topics that I have square eye's. There was nothing for it but to ask the good & cluey folk here at B@A. Stay tuned to this station more questions to come....

Thank in advance...(JugNut).......... err was this post to long?......   :boom: