News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 06, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

I have joined the Team to this Challenge  at WCG.

QuoteDear members of BOINC@Australia,

For Nov 16th to Nov 22th 2016 SETI.Germany is arranging a challenge at World Community Grid on the occasion of the grids 12th birthday:

We would like to invite BOINC@Australia to participate in the challenge and hope that your team and many members of your team will be joining and participting this event.
!!Be aware, only your WCG-Team-Captain can join your team to the challenge!!
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=8127

More information and statistics regarding the challenge can be found here.http://www.seti-germany.de/wcg/1_en_Welcome.html

Many Greetings: Terminator

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

Sean

chooka03

Sorry for the silly question, but how do I join our team for WCG?
I can't seem to work out how to join the team??

kashi

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=teams#121

How do I join a team?

Go to the home page and log in. From the My Contribution page, select My Team from the left navigation menu. From the Find a Team page, under Keyword Search, Next to "Team" select the "Name" drop down and in the text box next to "Contains:", enter all or portions of the team name of the team that you wish to join, Then press search. If there is more than one team name returned, find the one that you wish to join. Then click on the team name and the system will return the team information. Press "join this team" to become a member of the team.

chooka03

WOW...thanks mate.
Gee....lol...I found that very difficult to find. I was looking through all my options.

Cheers Kashi  :thumbsup:

kashi

Glad to help.

Have had more trouble with WCG myself than with any other BOINC project. WCG is different to other BOINC projects in many ways, not just the layout of their website, which doesn't follow the standard BOINC template making it difficult to find things.

The inability to merge the same hosts and delete inactive hosts makes your host list very long over the years and increases the complexity and size of stats sites' databases adding to their costs.

Some great projects but more restricted information from and direct interaction with the scientists themselves due to the WCG administration and/or forum admins running interference. Suppose they mean well but it sometimes comes across as annoyingly paternalistic. Have tried to excuse them by reasoning that it is mainly a cultural difference and only the more brash, assertive and competitive mode of expression of some Americans that grates on my Australian sensibilities. Can't fully convince myself though so still avoid the WCG forum unless absolutely necessary.

Their continued use of the illogical, perverted, unreliable "reduce towards zero" credit scheme is shameful. Credit became so bad years ago they had to introduce badges to compensate. They couldn't even do that properly, basing the badges on hours of computation rather than credit just promotes inefficiency meaning many obsolete "boat anchor" computers continue to be used, belching fire into our skies for minimal research benefit. Have occasionally wondered if these hours based badges are actually counterproductive for WCG. Many people including myself set themselves a target of a certain colour in every subproject and then stop when that coloured badge is attained.

They're not alone in any of this of course, a few other projects have redesigned their websites recently and abandoned the easy to navigate BOINC template. Also Folding@Home forum had a young scientist posting there who was so rude, condescending and contemptous of contributors it made me swear off Folding for many years.

Sometimes we just have to ignore these shortcomings and crunch for the greater good regardless. There's oodles of different projects to choose from. Still seems a shame that so many valuable, interesting research projects get tarred with the WCG brush.

chooka03

It certainly is disappointing that the same format can't be used across all projects.
Gee..... you're right... the amount of credits for WCG is woeful and the WU's take AGES!!! One of my WU's has just ticked over 5.5hrs with another 2hrs to go  :faint:
Now whether that's because I haven't free'd up enough CPU cores I'm not sure.

Slow old process.  :thumbdown:

kashi

It's only a minor irritation really. I can understand why they make a website all bright and shiny to attract children and those new to or less committed to distributed computing.

Although I vent now and again about WCG and its long tradition of perverse "anti-BOINC", "holier than BOINC" culture, some of the projects there seek cures for horrid diseases afflicting millions. And even the time based badges, although in theory poor from an efficiency/greenhouse/fairness viewpoint,  I find enjoyable to collect.

So my occasional WCG whinges are related mainly to frustration as these projects deserve better so that I and others could contribute to them more wholeheartedly. As a single BOINC project the credit of the subprojects are combined in the WCG stats. This means that individual subprojects may receive less contributions from some people than if they were separate BOINC projects. Means you can't ever "roar up the charts" to a high ranking like you could attempt if new WCG subprojects were  separate BOINC projects.

Yeh I generally prefer shorter tasks too. But as long as they checkpoint often and don't crash, then reliable work availability becomes a higher preference.

Dataman

I agree with kashi 100%. I started there on the first day they went live. I was one of the first 3 moderators (they called them Community Advisors but had no ability to delete offensive posts or ban spammers) but I gave it up after listening to the perpetual whining and having to answer questions like, "Do I need to have a computer to participate?" and "How can I get points when my computer is turned off?" for the 1,000th time. When they switched their software to BOINC they totally blew it. They tried to meld both systems together and and kept the ridiculous "dog year points" (7 x BOINC credits = WCG points). They continually shoot themselves in the foot and try to recover by shooting the other foot. I could go on and on over the numerous other blunders like their un-moderated forum where people spew anything that comes into their heads. I finally gave up and now only crunch BETA's and new projects.  :thumbdown:

Dataman

chooka03

11.5hrs and still going  :faint:
Hmm.... I know what you're saying Kashi. I've only chosen to do the cancer marker WU's (for obvious reasons) and I'm currently running WCG because of the challenge running.
I've got to be honest though, I feel like switching back to my favourite projects already (how quickly my sentiment has changed when you watch the credits creep in)

Oh well... I guess that's the beauty of what we are doing... you can pick & choose whatever you like.  :thumbsup:

kashi

Quote from: Dataman on January 27, 2017, 12:57:48 PM
Oh BTW, WCG just launched their Smash Childhood Cancer project.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,39730

Thanks for the info, to avoid a split CPID, am attached to all projects with an old defunct email address, so never get email updates from any projects.

A badge huntin' I will go, just as soon as the credit drops again on Community Science Grid. Been a bit of a bonanza there for a few days but inevitably spoilsports have whinged that it is too high and continue to whine after it has been recently reduced. Now I've got my amethyst-ruby bird, bird, bird, when the sun stops shining there I'll stop making hay and start Smashing Childhood Cancer.

Ruby's little challenge now I've got an extra computer with oodles of cores. Will have to graduate to at least emerald, but Smashing Childhood Cancer surely has a "worthiness factor" that is sky high, so sapphire is my aim this time.

Sean

I was going to post to say that the WCG Smash Childhood Cancer project is ending, but it looks like there's actually a lot more work:

"The Open Zika researchers have recently constructed a cleaned-up library of 30 million ligands (drug candidate compounds) for use in their drug search. They have kindly offered this library to the Smash Childhood Cancer project. This will increase the number of drug candidates the Smash Childhood Cancer project can process about ten-fold. I am in the process of transferring this data to them which should finish in a day or so. They will then construct new work units to use these additional ligands. There might be a few day pause while this all happens, but there should be considerably more work for the project on the current targets and any new targets if all goes well."

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,39993

:crazy

Sean

Mapping Cancer Markers has had more work added, will most likely be a very long project:

"Based on the 30 day running average the current work units should last to about March, 2020. This not an end of project projection, just a projection of a probable end of the current (maybe) known work units."

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=546395

Smash Childhood Cancer has also had more work added:

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=546192

:thumbsup: