News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 06, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

New WCG project: Microbiome Immunity Project

"The project is initially focusing on the genes found in the microbiome of the human gut, and on diseases which have already been shown to be associated with gut bacteria including type 1 diabetes, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis."

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/mip1/overview.do

Dingo

I setup a Challenge to last till the end of the month.  I am a badge hunter when these new sub projects start, I am a bad boy.  :holy-moly     https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=8558

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

Aha, was going to sneak a quick Bronze myself before switching to the AA. Now I'll give the Challenge a go and see if I can reach Ruby. It'll be tight as I still have a day or so badge hunting elsewhere first.

Thanks for the heads up Sean.+1 :thumbsup:

And thanks also Dingo for the Challenge allowing me a quick pre AA badge attack, yeeha. v:

Maximum hyperthreading selected, load all cores with WCG, fire!!  :boom:

Dingo

We are coming second on our challenge with Team China (big team) at #1.  Does not look like we will loose second place at this time.  https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/challenge/viewTeamChallenge.do?challengeId=8558

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

chooka03

Oh THERE'S the challenge!! :shock
I couldn't see it on the BOINCSTATS page so flipped between POGS and WCG. Sorry guys..... I'll halt POGS for a bit Bashhead

Edit - Double bugger.... I see the challenge is ONLY for Microbiome Immunity Project is that right?
Because I also selected Smash Childhood Cancer.

I don't think my small effort will help overtake Team China though :/

kashi

Was looking at the signature.statseb.fr BOINC badges signature site and remembered the WCG badges sig site hosted by SETI.Germany I used before. It's still working.

Here's mine:

Had forgotten there is also a webpage that lists all the WCG badges for the team. Gee it's a big list now:

All badges of the members of BOINC@AUSTRALIA v:

Cruncher Pete

1 Mar 2018     

Summary
We are performing database updates on our servers on Monday, March 5 beginning at 18:00 UTC.

We will be performing a database update to our servers on Monday, March 5, beginning at 18:00 UTC. We anticipate that the work will take approximately one hour.

During this time, volunteers will not be able to download new work. No action is required by you, as your devices will automatically retry their connections after the maintenance work is completed.

We appreciate your patience and participation.

Dingo

:thanks1:I would update your BOINC Manager "computing Prefernces" / "Store at least XX days of work" to at least 1.0 so you have work for at least a day as sometimes these maintence works last longer.

Thanks Pete for the info..

Radioactive@home graph

chooka03

Urgh...typical!
Thanks Pete for the update  :thumbsup:

Dataman

If you crunch WCG and use BOINCStats or FreeDC (and probably the other services) you will notice you did not get stats updated. This is due to WCG's changes to comply with GDPR. Willi (BS) says he will make the changes necessary but until then BS will not collect WCG stats.

https://boincstats.com/en/forum/5/11967,1

Bok (FreeDC) indicated he may shut down his site because it is too much effort for a hobby to comply and also because compliance is a "legal agreement".

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,40815_offset,10

As far as I know (with only a limited search), WCG is the only project that is in compliance with GDPR. However if/as others comply your stats may not be imported by these services.

:panic:

chooka03

Oh boy...... what will be the point in crunching without stats??  :thumbdown:

JugNut

Quote from: chooka03 on May 26, 2018, 07:19:59 AM

Agreed,  if free DC & boinc stats were ever both forced to shut down then i'd go down with them,  no questions asked.  Credits are not why I crunch but it is a huge part of what keeps me interested from day to day,  without them I imagine crunching would quickly become boring to say the least. :thumbdown:  :thumbdown: 

While it's far from over yet,  it does make you wonder how many others would do the same?

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dataman

Quote from: JugNut on May 26, 2018, 09:01:34 AM
Quote from: chooka03 on May 26, 2018, 07:19:59 AM

Agreed,  if free DC & boinc stats were ever both forced to shut down then i'd go down with them,  no questions asked.  Credits are not why I crunch but it is what keeps me interested day after day,  without them crunching would quickly become meaningless. :thumbdown:  :thumbdown: 

While i'm sure i'm jumping the gun here,  it does make you wonder how many would do the same?
I think the issue is the huge amount of work to do this for 50+ projects. In Willy's case he has to sign an agreement with IBM that the stat's extracted from WCG meets GDPR's use requirements and will not be misused (and the same for each other project that complies). This gives IBM (and every other project) legal recourse to BS if the occasion arises. As this is a hobby and not a for-profit business why would he do that? I certainly would not.

Should be an interesting future.
:fingers

JugNut

LOL You caught me mid edit DM.. 

But your right Interesting times ahead,  still it's at least possible it could end disastrously for the boinc ecosystem.

What do you guys think? Theoretically if there were no stats or bages at all would you still crunch?

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dingo

It was not the stats that interested me when in 1999 I stated crunching SETI, BUT without the statistics sites it will be very hard to keep up to date with how you are going compared to others etc etc etc.  I still try to convince myself that science is the reason I crunch but why did I crunch Belgian beer@home or Bitcoin Utopia ??

I also wonder how this affects the way the Team Founders can get the email addresses of their members if the members authorise it ?

I think that it will work itself out or a new player will start something if their is a vacuum.   I hope so anyway  :rocks

Radioactive@home graph