News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 06, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

JugNut

WCG stats have finally exported,  I almost fell off my chair in disbelief :faint:

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,40876_offset,130#588734

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

chooka03

Well they did say on the forum that it was only a matter of time before it was resloved.

Good news then for the scientific community and a win for common sense?

:cheers:

Dataman

Dr Perryman, project scientist for AIDS1, Malaria and Zika, will be leaving Scripts Institute and will become a Senior Scientist II at Repare Therapeutics, a start-up pharmaceutical company in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=570

Cruncher Pete

Quote from: Dataman on August 03, 2018, 08:48:18 AM
Dr Perryman, project scientist for AIDS1, Malaria and Zika, will be leaving Scripts Institute and will become a Senior Scientist II at Repare Therapeutics, a start-up pharmaceutical company in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

So, this is how it works.  The brain behind the project entices us volunteers to do the hard work and hours, days of computations, costing us heaps of money in buying and maintaining our equipment let alone the cost of electricity to run those projects.  We are acknowledge for that by being awarded useless credit and badges worth not one cent of monetary value.. Now that he found an answer that is commercially viable he joins a pharmaceutical Company without as much as saying thank you suckers.

shift

Yep, this is how it works.

JugNut

The writers of the article couldn't resist sprooking some last minute merchandising.
https://www.zazzle.com/openzika+gifts
Zika speakers & coffee cups? Really?

That puts the icing on the cake.

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dataman

Yes, I agree. Can you imagine the stock options on joining a startup when you have valuable research data created by others? This is exactly why I stopped doing med projects a long time ago!

@JN: LOL, I totally missed the merchandising premiums. Since it is a childhood disease, how about Zika diapers and baby bottles?

tazzduke

Greetings All

Latest update on the Outsmart Ebola Sub Project

The Outsmart Ebola Together research team is moving on to the data analysis phase of the project. Read more in this message from principal investigator Dr. Erica Ollmann Saphire.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=576

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant

Lennox84

Thanks for updating us Tazz,

Good little read, and always nice to hear when the results are positive for the project:

"Your response to Outsmart Ebola Together has been terrific, and you have returned more than 350 million results to help find new drug targets against Ebola virus. Thank you!"

You're welcome Doc.
:rocks

MiniFarm:
HP Elitedesk G2 - 6500 - 16GB - HDD - No GPU (Ubuntu Server)
HP Elitedesk G3 - 6500 - 16GB - HDD - No GPU (Ubuntu Server)

Laptops:
Yoga C940 - i7-1065G7 - 16GB - NVME - Iris iGPU +  GTX 680 (Windows)
FrameWork - i5-1240p - 32GB - NVME - Iris XE iGPU (Fedora + Docker) Part-time Cruncher

Server:
B550 Aorus Elite - AMD 3700x - 32GB - Quadro k4000- (UNRaid - Docker)

Desktop:
X570 I AORUS Pro WiFi - Ryzen 3600 - 32GB - RX 5700XT - (Fedora + Docker)

Offline -
Lenovo m700 6500T - 16GB - NVME - No GPU (Ubuntu Server)
Lenovo m701 6500T - 16GB - NVME - No GPU (Ubuntu Server)
Lenovo m701 6500T - 16GB - SSD - No GPU (Ubuntu Server)

Mysteron347

Quote from: Cruncher Pete on August 03, 2018, 12:29:02 PM
Quote from: Dataman on August 03, 2018, 08:48:18 AM

So, this is how it works.  The brain behind the project entices us volunteers to do the hard work and hours, days of computations, costing us heaps of money in buying and maintaining our equipment let alone the cost of electricity to run those projects.  We are acknowledge for that by being awarded useless credit and badges worth not one cent of monetary value.. Now that he found an answer that is commercially viable he joins a pharmaceutical Company without as much as saying thank you suckers.

I don't resent his moving on and making a fortune, if that happens. The entire point of contributing to these projects is the advancement of science. Frankly, if my efforts contribute to less suffering from disease, then that's sufficient for me.

Who knows precisely what happened? I've been involved in many promising projects where some imbecile is parachuted into control at the last second and proceeds to dismantle the project. Universities are notorious for claiming ownership of products that have been developed by researchers despite official opposition.

SO - he picks up the research, develops a successful product, the consumer is better off and he becomes wealthy. Big deal. Good to see the instigator benefit for once - usually, ideas are grabbed by marketeers  and the corporate hierarchy and held up as being their development while the actual developer is lucky to keep his job - which he won't do if he protests.

No acknowledgement? Given today's legal climate, were he to acknowledge the contribution of the volunteers, no doubt there'd be an endless court case generated to return an appropriate proportion of the profits made to those who volunteered their resources. The only people who are going to get rich out of that are the greedy lawyers who had absolutely nothing whatever to do with the issue - just gum-flapping leeches.

Dingo

I got this message from WCG that they want me to share wilth the Team.

QuoteDear Ding o,

We're reaching out to you not only as a World Community Grid volunteer, but as the captain of a World Community Grid team.

It's hard to believe World Community Grid has been connecting scientists with a global gathering of volunteers since 2004. Whether you've been donating your unused computing power to research for a day or more than a decade, we're grateful for your support and hope to be working with you for a long time to come.

Our 14th anniversary is coming up in just a few days, and we're inviting everyone involved with World Community Grid to join our Shining a Beacon for Science campaign by publicly sharing their support. You can read more about how to get involved on our website.

Please forward this email to your team members and invite them to participate.

Thanks for shining a beacon for science.

The World Community Grid team

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

chooka03

I received the email too.

Dingo

If anyone was thinking of using an app_config to run WCG tasks multithreaded, do not waist your time. 

I gave a few of their applications a test and some just abort with an error and other do not record the Run time and CPU time differences and therfor do not give the credit for using multiple cores.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

tazzduke

Oooohhhh, didnt even cross my mind, but thankyou for the heads up Dingo.

Too hot to crunch at the moment, especially with 3 computers in the one small study area, even with a ceiling fan going all the time lol.

Regards

AA 24 - 53 participant