News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 06, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruncher Pete

Influenza Antiviral Drug Search - From World Community Grid Webside

5 May 09:

World Community Grid is pleased to announce the launch of the Influenza Antiviral Drug Search project by Dr. Stan Watowich and his research team at The University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston, Texas, USA). They are collaborating with researchers from the Galveston National Laboratory at UTMB (Galveston, Texas, USA) for testing of drug candidates. The mission of the Influenza Antiviral Drug Search project is to find new drugs that can stop the spread of an influenza infection in the body. The research will specifically address the influenza strains that have become drug resistant as well as new strains that are appearing. Identifying the chemical compounds that are the best candidates will accelerate the efforts to develop treatments that would be useful in managing seasonal influenza outbreaks, and future influenza epidemics and even pandemics. For more information click on the link above.

Note from Cruncher Pete.  In view of the current Influenza scare, whatever you like to call it weather Swine flue or H1N1, I am going to donate most of my resources to this project for awhile.  I had a relative who died of Influenza (some years ago) so in a way it effects me personally.  However, some of you might  question and in fact have done so, as to why we promote projects of questionable value to the community, hence wasting money on Electricity.  I submit and recommend all of our members to think about the value of this research, and if you consider it worthwhile donate some or all of your resources to this project.

Mysteron347

I've heard the current term is "Hamthrax."

yoda

I have been supporting WCG on a small scale over the past month or two and will continue to do so - might even allocate a few more cores next week. 

I am currently concentrating on the two sub-projects dealing with Cancer in WCG since I have known quite a few people (including an uncle) who have died of it.  But I will add the influenza research once I get to silver badge status in "Help Fight Childhood Cancer" (probably early next week)

Dataman

After only five years,  :rofl: WCG installed the long awaited upgrade to their forum software today. The search facility is better and you can now page backward. It fixed a lot of annoying bugs.

Mike Mitchell

If only they would fix up their website now.  :furious:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

Quote from: Mike Mitchell on September 01, 2009, 07:11:59 AM
If only they would fix up their website now.  :furious:

... And their credits.  :rofl:

veebee

well, I have a heap of WU's sitting here which wont upload for some reason.... that wouldn't have anything to do with their recent work woul it ?

WikiWill

I had some upload fine about 30 mins ago. Might be a temporary issue.

Dataman

FYI: There was a rather large SPAM assult on the WCG forum today. Also some member question on forum security. This was knreed's response.

"
I want to comment on this statement. This is not a security issue. World Community Grid is designed to allow easy registration and open forum discussions. This can be abused as occurred in this case but this is very different than it being a security issue. At no time was user information exposed that members didn't want exposed nor was ever a thread to any of our servers that could have allowed someone access to our servers.

However, as we do not desire to have abuse such as this on our forums, we have tightened some policies regarding posts and quick registrations like this. We will watch to see what happens going forward. The forums software and the website registration has additional tools available to us that we can use to prevent this from happening. However, these tools all increase the chance that we will inadvertently prevent someone who is real and wants to join from having that opportunity. So we will proceed cautiously and only when necessary.

If this had been an actual security issue we would have acted swift and decisively."

Cheers!

Dataman

Apprently Didactylos has either quit or was removed as Community Advisor at WCG.  :yahoo: His Facebook app seems to be the proverable straw the broke the camel's back. It's been long over due, IMHO.

LoneWolf_53

A novice2

Quote from: Dataman on September 30, 2009, 03:03:41 AM
Apprently Didactylos has either quit or was removed as Community Advisor at WCG.  :yahoo: His Facebook app seems to be the proverable straw the broke the camel's back. It's been long over due, IMHO.

Best news I have had in a long time.  ;D  I can't say what I thought of him, because I would probably get banned
   Rob 

Dataman

From Stan Watowich (IADS & DDDT) on estimates for the Phase 2 of these projects:

"Here are my preliminary estimates (this will likely change when we finish beta testing) that should hold for either project. These estimates may be on the optimistic side.

WCG CPU time: 41 days/ligand x 2000 ligands/target x 10 targets x 2 (redundancy) so ~4500 WCG CPU yrs

Wall time: assuming 30 WCG CPU yrs/day gives ~150 days to complete Phase 2

Workunits: 200 WU/ligand x 2000 ligands/target x 10 targets x 2 (redundancy) so ~8,000,000 WU

I hope my math skills are intact this morning...."

150 days is a very short life for a project and those seeking a phase 2 badge should be aware of it. Cheers!

veebee

so when are these phase 2 projects starting??

Dataman

Quote from: veebee on November 06, 2009, 05:40:52 PM
so when are these phase 2 projects starting??
Don't know as they never say. But the second round of Beta testing has not started so it will be at least a couple of weeks.

:oz: