News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 06, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

Thanks Tazzduke.
Hmm... I'm noit sure I'll make it to the 20 yr badge. I still have 2481 days to go lol.

shift

Quote from: tazzduke on June 02, 2021, 09:50:21 PM

So if there are any goals you want to accomplish with this project, say a next level up badge, might be wise to have a look.

Thanks, Tazzduke. I'm hoping to get the 180-day badge before they turn it off.

Dingo

Ffor a brief time yesterday WCG had Help Stop TB work.  The first I have seen for a very long time.  None left now though :)

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dataman

WCG transition update:

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/article.s?articleId=757

* World Community Grid pauses sending out work units: February 14, 2022.
* World Community Grid pauses receiving work units: February 27, 2022.
* Website and forum will be offline: from February 28 until April 22, 2022. A simplified version of the website will act as a sign post during the transition, to share updates and communicate our progress and roadmap for the World Community Grid in 2022.

Two months of down-time seems like a lot!

:pcwhack:

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dataman on February 10, 2022, 11:11:35 AM

IBM is involved, so that will add time.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

jave808

Quote from: Dataman on February 10, 2022, 11:11:35 AM
WCG transition update:

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/article.s?articleId=757

* World Community Grid pauses sending out work units: February 14, 2022.
* World Community Grid pauses receiving work units: February 27, 2022.
* Website and forum will be offline: from February 28 until April 22, 2022. A simplified version of the website will act as a sign post during the transition, to share updates and communicate our progress and roadmap for the World Community Grid in 2022.

:pcwhack:

Yep, downtime has hit. Time for me to look for a new project...
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

Sean

Quote from: jave808 on February 16, 2022, 08:21:44 AM
Yep, downtime has hit. Time for me to look for a new project...

Me too, I started running Rosetta@home instead, but can only run on 2/4 cores otherwise it slows other programs down too much.

Dingo

For those thay may have missed this

World Community Grid
YtSesdro
·
With a heavy heart we must announce to volunteers our intent to delay restarting the WCG until May 9th, 2022. Several issues discovered in our production environment remain unresolved, making it impossible to meet the April 22, 2022 deadline at this time.
Unexpected issues continue to delay the full validation of the QA environment, meaning there is no path yet to a responsible restart of the Production system even if all outstanding issues were resolved today. Several obstacles that proved difficult to resolve due to inexperience with specific components in the WCG software stack, contribute to our need for yet more time to bring the Grid back online.
Notably, the website build broke due to a dependency that brought React version 18.0.2 into the build, whereas the site was developed against React version 17. The lack of experience with React and modern web development practices within our team resulted in what now seems a simple fix, pinning React to the previously working version 17 for all dependencies that permitted a change in major versions when resolving required packages at build time. Volunteers may have noticed this issue, as it coincided with a long silence at www.worldcommunitygrid.org, which could not be updated. In addition, we overlooked a misconfiguration in the messaging/queueing middleware (IBM MQ), and a missing root certificate took far too long to discover as the reason Apache could not talk to IBM Websphere. The last few public IPs to be assigned were not routable due to a misconfigured VLAN. While these issues were all resolved, we now need more time to ensure there are no more surprises.
As a rule, this level of detail should be omitted from updates and has been omitted from previous updates. From our perspective, the specifics of the technical obstacles that hinder us are immaterial, as what we owe to volunteers is a working backend for the World Community Grid. The Grid is far too valuable to let go - and despite challenges, we are committed to supporting open science on the Grid. Given the already overlong timeframe of the migration, and to assuage concerns as to whether we are progressing towards the goal at all, we thought to make an exception given that we are asking for your patience just a while longer before we are fully ready to restart the WCG. We must and we will succeed.
Thank you to all who have contributed feedback and words of encouragement during the downtime. We do see your posts even if we cannot always reply at this stage. Your understanding and patience is truly appreciated. We will prepare a proper team introduction and answer the questions and address the comments once the Grid is back on.
WCG Tech team

If you want to post something here is the link  https://www.facebook.com/worldcommunitygrid.org/posts/10166367326135652

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dataman

Quote from: Dingo on April 23, 2022, 12:03:59 PM
For those thay may have missed this

World Community Grid
YtSesdro
·
With a heavy heart we must announce to volunteers our intent to delay restarting the WCG until May 9th, 2022. Several issues discovered in our production environment remain unresolved, making it impossible to meet the April 22, 2022 deadline at this time.
Unexpected issues continue to delay the full validation of the QA environment, meaning there is no path yet to a responsible restart of the Production system even if all outstanding issues were resolved today. Several obstacles that proved difficult to resolve due to inexperience with specific components in the WCG software stack, contribute to our need for yet more time to bring the Grid back online.
Notably, the website build broke due to a dependency that brought React version 18.0.2 into the build, whereas the site was developed against React version 17. The lack of experience with React and modern web development practices within our team resulted in what now seems a simple fix, pinning React to the previously working version 17 for all dependencies that permitted a change in major versions when resolving required packages at build time. Volunteers may have noticed this issue, as it coincided with a long silence at www.worldcommunitygrid.org, which could not be updated. In addition, we overlooked a misconfiguration in the messaging/queueing middleware (IBM MQ), and a missing root certificate took far too long to discover as the reason Apache could not talk to IBM Websphere. The last few public IPs to be assigned were not routable due to a misconfigured VLAN. While these issues were all resolved, we now need more time to ensure there are no more surprises.
As a rule, this level of detail should be omitted from updates and has been omitted from previous updates. From our perspective, the specifics of the technical obstacles that hinder us are immaterial, as what we owe to volunteers is a working backend for the World Community Grid. The Grid is far too valuable to let go - and despite challenges, we are committed to supporting open science on the Grid. Given the already overlong timeframe of the migration, and to assuage concerns as to whether we are progressing towards the goal at all, we thought to make an exception given that we are asking for your patience just a while longer before we are fully ready to restart the WCG. We must and we will succeed.
Thank you to all who have contributed feedback and words of encouragement during the downtime. We do see your posts even if we cannot always reply at this stage. Your understanding and patience is truly appreciated. We will prepare a proper team introduction and answer the questions and address the comments once the Grid is back on.
WCG Tech team

If you want to post something here is the link  https://www.facebook.com/worldcommunitygrid.org/posts/10166367326135652

I saw that too. The software mistakes made when IBM kluged United Devices with BOINC originally ("dog year" points, etc.) still come back to haunt them. I was hoping against hope that Krembil would take this opportunity to replace the cumbersome IBM WCG with vanilla BOINC.

I doubt if I will ever return to this project.

Dataman

Can you believe this $#!+

"Restart update

We continue working hard to restart WCG as soon as possible.

Published on: 7 May 2022

While we continue working hard to restart WCG as soon as possible, we want to provide an update on the current status. We are currently facing unexpected issues with the load balancer - a small but critical component that ensures science servers will cope with increased workloads. If we do not resolve this in time, it would prevent us from restarting on May 9th. We will provide an update on the result of our efforts to resolve the issue Sunday evening."

Dataman

:shock ...  :rofl:

"We conduct further testing to confirm that the system is ready.

Published on: 8 May 2022

Unfortunately, we must now conduct further testing starting tomorrow to confirm that the system is ready. While we were able to resolve issues with the load balancer HAProxy and partially address a second issue preventing clients from accessing certain queues published by our message broker internally, additional testing to confirm there will be no unexpected effects resulting from these changes is now needed due to security implications. We continue to work on this tonight and we aim to update you tomorrow [May 9th, 2022] with the revised start date for the WCG, unless we run into some unexpected challenges."

chooka03

Oh well...the longer they are down, the more crunching on other projects :)

Dingo

They are still screwing around ...  Now Evening May12 which will be morning May 13 in Australia

We performed further investigations into issues we have been experiencing with our message broker and IBM WebSphere. We were able to address the stale JAAS configuration in IBM WebSphere causing the issue whereby JMS connections that required updated credentials were not re-initialized so long as any credential of the correct alias already existed in the WebSphere config. Hence, the outdated credential simply survived scripted reconfiguration of WebSphere to pollute all queue and topic connections anew on restart. While our team used the typical diagnostic tools for IBM MQ we gleaned no additional insight from them and were significantly delayed in discovering the bug in our deployment scripting. Stepping through all configuration scripting and checking each referenced object manually in the WAS command line console revealed the issue only this morning.

As we are now able to continue with testing the system we plan to reassess the earliest WCG restart date we can commit to by Thursday evening (May 12th, 2022). We will post an updated schedule to social media and to the website on the 12th.

Thank you

WCG Tech team

Radioactive@home graph

Dataman

What a bunch of clowns ...  :faint:

"The revised date for launch will be May 24th, 2022, after Victoria day.

Published on: 12 May 2022

We were able to solve a redirection loop that caused much of the website to be unusable due to incorrect rewrite rules in Apache and their interaction with self-hosted DNS. Additional issues were then resolved that had resulted from the previously discussed necessary changes to the configuration of HAProxy, internal server certificates and thus domains, and IBM WebSphere.

We are now updating the content on the production website to include the updates that were published during downtime, porting the React dependency pin to version 17 from the current website hosted at www.worldcommunitygrid.org to the full-featured production website which was also affected. We then need to ensure functionality on all major browsers manually. Once finished, the website and forums will be good to go.

Finally, we were able to test BOINC client connections to our servers from newly created/registered accounts. While we were able to contact the BOINC scheduler and check for available workunits, we are now diagnosing a failure to validate the project key that occured in some cases.

On the server side, we were able to verify the flow of data from our research partners into the workunit management layer in our stack. Thus, this part is fully validated, and will proceed smoothly upon restart. We continue to assess readiness of the workunit management stack for launch together with the website.

Thank you

WCG Tech team"

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Dataman on May 14, 2022, 12:36:25 AM
What a bunch of clowns ...

It's been a long time since I did any work for or after IBM but isn't this starting to look familiar?? If I remember correctly, only the original IBM crew can make their bespoke projects work...

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. ;-)
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti