News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Project News - PrimeGrid

Started by Cruncher Pete, May 12, 2009, 12:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

Quote from: Dataman on January 19, 2011, 06:56:13 AM
Brett is a member of the BOINC@AUSTRALIA team.  

hmmm ... got me TWO of those machines.... makes me want to swap over to Primegrid !  :greet

actually - I shall go and do the 'build/ upgrade story' I want to do for the "Newcomers" section here... for those who may want to do some work of their own (save BUCKS) but may also think it is a bit beyond them ---- well, it aint !

Sean

Is anyone else getting Computation errors? I've been trying to run the Proth Prime Search (Sieve) on ATI 4560 but they keep failing a few seconds in. When I check the work unit stats on their web page it shows that everyone with the duplicate tasks (sorry not sure what to call them) also gets the computation error. But nothing on their homepage that i can see. hmmm..  ???

LawryB

All sweet here Sean. My 59xx is crunching without problems (touch wood)

kashi

Upgraded to Catalyst 11.6 recently, Sean?

The OpenCL drivers included with Catalyst 11.6 may be incompatible with Proth Prime Search (Sieve) v1.38 (ati13ati) tasks on HD 4xxx series cards.

You could try an earlier Catalyst version. Someone recommended 11.5 or 11.3 but not 11.2 or 11.4 for some reason.

Try installing Cat 11.5 or 11.3 first. If it still doesn't work and gives the same "Error: Building Program (clBuildProgram): Program build failure calclCompile failedError: Creating kernel start_ns failed!" you may need to run DriverSweeper or something similar to remove the OpenCL component of Catalyst 11.6 before installing Cat 11.5 or 11.3.

Sean

Thanks Kashi, I installed Windows 7 and Catalyst 11.6 yesterday so you are more then likely correct. What still confuses me is that when I view the tasks online and go to the work unit details it shows the states of the other duplicate tasks being crunched by other people as "In progress" or "Error while computing". ???

I will try the older Catalyst tomorrow as you suggested, I'm sure it will get it working again, and post back to let you know. thanks again.

kashi

It's not certain that an older driver will fix it, it is only a possibility that I gleaned from reading the PrimeGrid forums.

Yes it's very deceptive on PrimeGrid ATI currently. When you look at the details of the work units of your errored tasks, you often see many other tasks sent to wingmen that have also errored. This would lead you to believe that there is something wrong with the work units themselves because the iterations (tasks) appear to be erroring for almost everyone. However if you look closer at the errors you will see a pattern of HD 4xxx cards with Catalyst 11.6, a few HD 38XX incompatible with OpenCL, HD 57xx with something also incompatible, either Catalyst 11.6 or possibly an older driver with no APP section (OpenCL) and a lesser number of HD 58xx with errors.

But when you look at the details of work units of an ATI card that is successfully completing tasks, you will often see the same thing. Many errors in the tasks sent to wingmen. It's because there's a number of people with misconfigured/incompatible ATI cards on PrimeGrid currently and if the number of tasks sent to these cards is not properly limited they become "runaways" and produce thousands of errored tasks very quickly. So even a relatively small number of runaway ATI cards can give the impression of almost everyone having errors.

Sean

Everything is fine now, I have moved back to 11.5 and all seems well.

thanks kashi

kashi