News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

GPU

Started by daveandton, January 26, 2010, 05:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveandton

Just noticed that you can use your Gpu on this project. Has anybody had any experience of it?
Dave

veebee

I looked through all the applications availablw, and through the forums. but couldn't find anything about it.

I did find someone asking IF GPU would be used..

daveandton

Ap26 search uses cuda and I've just started it , so far so good
Dave

BF

Looks like you're getting valid results Dave, but your CUDA tasks are taking 4 times as much time as the CPU ones, for the same amount of credit..  Looks like they have a great deal of optimising left to do with the CUDA app..

Thanks for the heads up though! +1

veebee

Yeah, found "them" thanks Dave.

tried a few on my GTX 275.. it completes them in around 12 - 13 minutes.

but for only 35 credits per WU, that only works out at around 160 credits per hour or 3800 a day.... my 275 gets around 40,000 a day at Collatz... I think I'll stay there until they improve the app a bit.. ( a LOT ! lol)

daveandton

I agree but it was worth taking a look
Dave

veebee

I agree definitely. During an AA on primegrid it would be the way to go, along with cpus.

Having a look at the freehal stuff (uses "only" RAM..), also tryin gto set up a virtual machine to have a second set of WU's crunching.