News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

CPU core temps

Started by Tin Man, February 03, 2009, 01:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tin Man

Thought i mig t give this project a whirl.  Its been running for a couple of hours now and i notice that my core temps are  creeping upslowly.  As my computer seems to run very hot anyway ( high 70's).   i was wondering if this is one of those projects which runs hotter than others.  if it is i might well have to go back to things i have been running before.

Dingo

Yes some projects run hotter than others.  I too have found that primegrid is hot on my machines in the summer.  In summer I run 98% ABC@home as it is the coolest running project I have found, although if there is an AA on I will crunch whatever that is most.  Other members will also have projects that run hot and cold to share as well here ?  Winter here at the moment so I can run whatever I want.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

mike047

The Sieve work is less cpu intensive than the LLR work.  I usually run the PsP sieve, it pays good too.

mike

Tin Man

I'll see what its like just running that one.  Thanks Mike.

elftron

It may run a little hotter than other cpu intensive task because of the work it actually does.  Being mostly integer based it will use all integer instruction circuits all the time.  The program itself is a very efficient user of these instructions sets.   Virtually no clock cycle gets wasted when only working with integers numbers.

jmblazek

Quote from: mike047 on February 03, 2009, 10:09:35 AM
The Sieve work is less cpu intensive than the LLR work.  I usually run the PsP sieve, it pays good too.

mike
This is true, the sieve apps run cooler than the LLR apps.  If you're not interested in finding primes (LLR apps), then the sieves are the place to be.  They also benefit from having 64 bit support which earns more credit.  There currently are 3 sieve projects to choose from:

321 Prime Search Sieve (321)
Prime Sierpinski Problem Sieve (PSP)
Proth Prime Search Sieve (PPS)

Additionally, the AP26 app has shown to be cooler than the LLR's and it too has 64 bit support.