News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

microsoft interfering with firefox

Started by Brendano, June 07, 2009, 05:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brendano

Mirosoft have gone too far!
ther have snuck into your Firefox ... and sneakily installed an 'add on' to make your computer comply with .NET

no 'please may we install this?'
no 'would you like this add-on for your Firefox?'

they just did it!!!! and up till just recently tthe uninstall button was greyed out and you couldn't even get rid of it!!

what next? the'll start directing you to websites without asking you?

time for Linux and open source folks!
cheers,
brendano

Wang Solutions

I think you are very much preaching to the converted here! Welcome aboard, and have your first Aussie Karma for your first post.  :congrats

yoda

I couldn't agree more :)   

I still have Windows on two computers (the kids like their games) but the rest (including my new Atom box) all run 64 bit Linux.  Mind you, in my case it was more of a cost consideration.

Vajras

Quote from: Brendano on June 07, 2009, 05:25:09 PM
Mirosoft have gone too far!
ther have snuck into your Firefox ... and sneakily installed an 'add on' to make your computer comply with .NET

no 'please may we install this?'
no 'would you like this add-on for your Firefox?'

they just did it!!!! and up till just recently tthe uninstall button was greyed out and you couldn't even get rid of it!

Yes, you are right.

But they did this first back in February of this year.

If you or anyone else has this problem and are concerned enough to remove it, then go see the FF Tweaks/Tricks & Questions thread, scroll down to my post dated April 20 and there you'll find various links and screenshots to help you understand why and to safely remove the prob.

i don't think M$ will ever learn but thanks for the alert again +1  :angel:

BTW the FF thread is a good one to read biggrin

veebee

Thanks for the "prompt" Brendano....

Has this happened on XP machines? I will have to check my partners.. I dont use it much - certainly not Firefox

(only go on there to make sure my BOINC install has plenty of work etc ..)  ::)

Mike Mitchell

I had a look for that damn thing on my laptop when I read the other post. It's disabled but not removed. I have no need of .NET (and lock me into the Uncle Bill Monopoly for the next hundred years) or the non-standard programming.

+ 1 for the Kubuntu  biggrin Linux recommendation.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

veebee

Oh... by the way Brendano...

if you want/ need help in setting uo Ubuntu (or whatever flavour of Linux you prefer..) just ask whatever questions you have...

there is a section on the forum dedicated to linux, and plenty of members use it (many happy converts - including yours truly) after changing from Windows for various reasons...