News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project News - Poem@Home

Started by BF, June 16, 2009, 12:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JugNut

Yea it's back but not quite like before.  I left POEM open to receive GPU tasks & woke up late this morning with 10 units running at once from my old app_config.  *LOL*  They had been running  over 3 1/2 hrs & had only gone 35% the way through.   

It looks like if you run 2 or 3 at once on modern AMD cards they would take 2 - 2 .5hrs for 6,500 credit. Not sure about Nvidia's yet.
Not much being said yet at POEM other than dual Nvidia's aren't working yet & there seems to be other Nvidia problems as well. 
So far for my rig its at most 2 or 3 at once.  Not what I had expected but I'll test for a while & see what happens.

Crunch on..

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

LawryB

All sorts of problems with the GPU side of POEM.  SysOp doesn't know what is wrong and will have a look at it tomorrow.  Most WUs seem to be failing at the end of processing.

kashi

Yep, I did 3 tasks and 2 errored. Near the end too, bah. :thumbdown:

On my 7790 single task gives erratic GPU load percentage and runs at reduced core clock of 1015 Mhz. Need to run 2 concurrently to get stable high GPU load and force default clock of 1075 MHz, but GPU memory still does not move off idle clock of 150 MHz.

CPU utilisation is much lower than previous application but still about 3% or 25% of a single HT CPU core. Could be better but common problem with OpenCL GPU applications. Still a big improvement as it means CPU tasks can be run at the same time as GPU tasks.

With 6 cores loaded with CPU tasks, 1 GPU task takes 2 hours and 2 tasks take 3 hours. Will try a single GPU task later today with no CPU cores allocated to other projects to see if it speeds up GPU processing at all. Edit: No I won't, no tasks left. ;D

With 2 concurrent tasks, credit rate has reduced by about 85% compared to previous application. :pcwhack:

JugNut

Hi all,
FYI:  I was surprised today to find a small amount of POEM GPU work on my PC's(6-10 WU's on each).  Not from the test server either but from the proper POEM servers.   Unfortunately I didn't notice them straight away & by the time I did & then tried to snag some more they had already run dry.

The bad news is they haven't changed much since last time, except GPU usage is now lower.  On my HD 7970's, GPU usage is at about 52%.   I then set up an app_config to run 2x at a time which seemed about right for a few tests.
Run time averaged about 2hrs 15mins when running 2x at a time.  So half that for 1 WU of course.

1 x WU  = 1hr 7mins
2 x WU's = 2hrs 15mins
All validated with no errors
Credit = 6,500 per WU

Unless there is a change credit will be poor to say the least.

Also I did try 3x WU's which did not go well at all, not only was there no gain from running 3 at a time, there was a big loss from doing so.   More testing needs to be done on this when adequate work arrives.

So it appears POEM GPU WU's aren't far away...   Good luck & crunch, crunch, crunch

My personal stat's

JugNut

New POEM GPU WU's are available for those wanting to give them a try.  Come an get em' while they last..

My personal stat's

Dingo

Make sure you have BOINC configured so you have enough work to last over the outage.

Maintenance on 05/09/2015
The whole IT infrastructure of our institute will be maintained on Saturday, 5 September 2015, 6:00am to 4:00pm UTC. The POEM@HOME BOINC Server will not be reachable within this period.
Please make sure to have enough cached work units, if you want to keep your crunching machines fed.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA