News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Cels@Home 2 is still getting started

Started by WikiWill, January 30, 2009, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WikiWill

Just a note to anyone from B@A who stumbles on this project in the next few weeks...  The new server (http://celsathome.bme.utexas.edu/cels/) is still being set up and there are database issues preventing you joining the Cels B@A team.  There's a note in this message board thread that indicates they are working on it.

So meanwhile, create your account and get crunching, and I will post a note here (and PM you if you request it) when the database opens for team joining.

Some vital stats etc:

• It's a Windows-only project for now
  • Work units download one at a time, and it can be hours between successfully picking one off the queue
  • Each work unit is about 800kB and takes 3.5hrs on my Core 2 Duo E8400 @3GHz
  • This is valuable medical research and well worth some of your CPU time
  • We are currently ranked 2nd in RAC, 4th in credit.  Go team!  :D

WikiWill

Hey all, still no update from the project admins about when the database / team issues will be fixed.

However BOINC@AUSTRALIA is now ranked 1st by RAC and 3rd by total credit!
http://celsathome.bme.utexas.edu/cels/top_teams.php

:rocks

BF

Great work WikiWill! Keep that flag flying until we can get there!!

:aus1:

WikiWill

I just learned that the research project behind this may have lost funding, which may explain the lack of admin activity. For now I recommend spending your time on other projects!

WikiWill

The server has been down for 3 weeks now.  My last two emails to the guy in charge of this project have received no response.

I think it's time to move this to the Inactive Projects section!!

ONYX

Well, CELS is back online

Still cant join the team though, but at least its up and running again.

I really hope this project gets off the ground, properly - I liked what I saw the first time around!

WikiWill

Yay, they found someone to reboot the server  :jester:

I'm not putting much into this one until something positive happens on the project admin side.  I did offer but heard nothing back, and probably a good thing too since I've found some more immediate needs for my time!

Let's hope it gets sorted and we can keep  :oz: at number 1 for a while :)

veebee

joined up as well.

I liked the original project too, lets hope thisone kicks off well and lets us get off to a flying start... but we gotta get this "team" issue sorted, or all crunching UNTIL it is sorted is sort of "wasted"..

ONYX

Quote from: veebee on March 31, 2009, 09:15:59 AM
joined up as well.

I liked the original project too, lets hope thisone kicks off well and lets us get off to a flying start... but we gotta get this "team" issue sorted, or all crunching UNTIL it is sorted is sort of "wasted"..

I wouldnt go nuts with this one veebs, its very unreliable at the moment, and I will not be crunching it again untill the B@A team issue is fixed and we can all join WikiWill in racking up the points for the team

veebee

there's no work available ATM anyways ... and its Win only ....luckily (some might say..) my i7 is running Win XP.

Am STILL waiting on a copy of Vista x64 which was supposed to be sent over a month ago.... Im hoping that THAT will speed things up a bit.

Wang Solutions

Sorry, did you say that you hope Vista will speed things up? ???

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:   :rofl: :rofl:

clownius

Vista ewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!  That said im running vista 64bit on my i7.... for games but its lousy for games too.  More crashes per day than ME.

Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.3GHz, 64GBRAM, Asus GTX 780 ROG Poseidon

veebee

may well stick with XP then...I was just hoping that running a 64 bit OS would increase the output (boinc wise).

This is also my gaming computer, so it "sort of" has to be windows.... (it is dual boot... I just havent used the Ubuntu install much..if at all.)

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: veebee link=tojavascript:void(0);pic=5.msg3864#msg3864 date=1238452302Am STILL waiting on a copy of Vista x64 which was supposed to be sent over a month ago.... Im hoping that THAT will speed things up a bit.

Sorry, I'm terribly confused.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? My laptop runs Vista and it needs about 1GB of RAM to run just the minimum amount of services, with everything running it is 1.36GB right now. While that doesn't seem like much of an increase, it's really 368.64MB more to run 12 tabs in Firefox, BOINC, Thunderbird, Yahoo Messenger, Taskmanager, and a few other bits and pieces. No, there's nothing to it. Vista is just too damn memory hungry. 1024MB for the OS?! That sucks.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

WikiWill

Quote from: veebee on March 31, 2009, 11:59:14 PM
(it is dual boot... I just havent used the Ubuntu install much..if at all.)

Putting on my security hat for a minute - make sure you do boot Ubuntu periodically and install the updates.  For example, boot it once a month, start the download/install (from the red icon in top right corner if it's a default window config) then go out for a coffee.

If the time comes when you want to use it, it's more likely to be protected from malware and other issues, and you won't be slugged with a big download of patches in one go.

<security hat off>