News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Cels@Home 2 is still getting started

Started by WikiWill, January 30, 2009, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

Quote from: Mike Mitchell on April 01, 2009, 02:03:16 AM
Vista is just too damn memory hungry. 1024MB for the OS?! That sucks.
that's OK, there's 6Gb of  DDR3-1333 in there - I made sure I went 6 Gb MIN.  The only reason I "want" windows on the box is coz it's the"gaming box". (I play a bit of Crysis,  F.E.A.R. and V8 Supercars on it)

Quote from: WikiWill on April 01, 2009, 08:41:29 AM
Putting on my security hat for a minute - make sure you do boot Ubuntu periodically and install the updates. 

Yes WW, I do that "regularly".. I just meant I haven't crunched with it (maybe a cpl WU's ??) or "used" it for anything else...

yoda

Of course the same advice applies to Windows.  Probably even more so.

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: veebee on April 01, 2009, 11:29:18 AMthat's OK, there's 6Gb of  DDR3-1333 in there - I made sure I went 6 Gb MIN.  The only reason I "want" windows on the box is coz it's the"gaming box". (I play a bit of Crysis,  F.E.A.R. and V8 Supercars on it)

That's a worthwhile reason then.  biggrin I only keep mine for uFluids and minefield, which is particularly good on Vista.   :dance:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

yoda

Quote from: veebee on April 01, 2009, 11:29:18 AM
that's OK, there's 6Gb of  DDR3-1333 in there - I made sure I went 6 Gb MIN.  The only reason I "want" windows on the box is coz it's the"gaming box". (I play a bit of Crysis,  F.E.A.R. and V8 Supercars on it)

But uhmmm, does Windows see the whole 6GB?  Windows XP 32 bit wouldn't...  And if you have a graphics card with a lot of memory (like 1GB or more), it gets even worse. 

Wang Solutions

<offtopic>
32-bit Windows cannot see or use more than 3.5GB of RAM, but any 64-bit Windows will recognise and use 6GB no worries. My Windows XP 64-bit accurately reports 6GB RAM. I understand this is why veebee wants to go to 64-bit Vista.
</offtopic>

veebee

Yep..Wang hit the nail on the head...Im "supposed" to be getting a Vista 64 bit disc, which I am after for a cpl reasons..... 

I want the "Windows" side of things for gaming ability....

and I might also put it on the home theatre setup I'm building.... purely to utilise the software that came with the TV card etc that I got... the mate who has all these spare pc bits, has a HUUUGE screen and projector, for TV, DVD's

etc, and has an amazing program for controlling it all... I will have togo look what it is.. and see if the disc is laying around there somewhere...  :cool:

clownius

I shall continue to keep us well off topic lol.  At this moment in Vista i am using 3.2Gb of RAM!!!!
A whole 4 FF Tabs, One Usb device mid copy (3.5Gb of files from USB to USB) and obviously BOINC (2X GPUGrid (gEV,Je) and 8 ABC WU's).  That's the least RAM i have seen it use in ages.  When i game i suddenly think its time for 12Gb RAM.  But if i want to game its not like i have a choice in the matter.
Whats even worse is the Vista decides my game has crashed due to a graphics driver crash randomly.  Saddest thing is i can see the game happily playing in behind the your dead box.  There's no problem at all beyond Vista being a pain and worse still no matter what i do it closes the game once i click the Close program or the X to close the box!!!  If only it would let me save the game first :cry2:

So as you can tell im a massive Vista Fanboi lol

Oh lastly can anyone tell me what if anything Readyboost does?  I have a 4Gb USB stick for Readyboost and im yet to notice any difference with it plugged in or not plugged in.

Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.3GHz, 64GBRAM, Asus GTX 780 ROG Poseidon

clownius

Explains why its not doing anything for me i still have RAM to use before i start caching.

Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.3GHz, 64GBRAM, Asus GTX 780 ROG Poseidon

Tixx

Mysteron347

WikiWill

Quote from: ONYX on March 31, 2009, 09:26:07 AM
I wouldnt go nuts with this one veebs, its very unreliable at the moment, and I will not be crunching it again untill the B@A team issue is fixed and we can all join WikiWill in racking up the points for the team

Unreliable is probably the understatement of the year :D

Yes the server is down again and has been for a few days, so it's not looking hopeful!