News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Cels@Home 2 is still getting started

Started by WikiWill, January 30, 2009, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

Quote from: Mike Mitchell on April 01, 2009, 02:03:16 AM
Vista is just too damn memory hungry. 1024MB for the OS?! That sucks.
that's OK, there's 6Gb of  DDR3-1333 in there - I made sure I went 6 Gb MIN.  The only reason I "want" windows on the box is coz it's the"gaming box". (I play a bit of Crysis,  F.E.A.R. and V8 Supercars on it)

Quote from: WikiWill on April 01, 2009, 08:41:29 AM
Putting on my security hat for a minute - make sure you do boot Ubuntu periodically and install the updates. 

Yes WW, I do that "regularly".. I just meant I haven't crunched with it (maybe a cpl WU's ??) or "used" it for anything else...

yoda

Of course the same advice applies to Windows.  Probably even more so.

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: veebee on April 01, 2009, 11:29:18 AMthat's OK, there's 6Gb of  DDR3-1333 in there - I made sure I went 6 Gb MIN.  The only reason I "want" windows on the box is coz it's the"gaming box". (I play a bit of Crysis,  F.E.A.R. and V8 Supercars on it)

That's a worthwhile reason then.  biggrin I only keep mine for uFluids and minefield, which is particularly good on Vista.   :dance:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

yoda

Quote from: veebee on April 01, 2009, 11:29:18 AM
that's OK, there's 6Gb of  DDR3-1333 in there - I made sure I went 6 Gb MIN.  The only reason I "want" windows on the box is coz it's the"gaming box". (I play a bit of Crysis,  F.E.A.R. and V8 Supercars on it)

But uhmmm, does Windows see the whole 6GB?  Windows XP 32 bit wouldn't...  And if you have a graphics card with a lot of memory (like 1GB or more), it gets even worse. 

Wang Solutions

<offtopic>
32-bit Windows cannot see or use more than 3.5GB of RAM, but any 64-bit Windows will recognise and use 6GB no worries. My Windows XP 64-bit accurately reports 6GB RAM. I understand this is why veebee wants to go to 64-bit Vista.
</offtopic>

veebee

Yep..Wang hit the nail on the head...Im "supposed" to be getting a Vista 64 bit disc, which I am after for a cpl reasons..... 

I want the "Windows" side of things for gaming ability....

and I might also put it on the home theatre setup I'm building.... purely to utilise the software that came with the TV card etc that I got... the mate who has all these spare pc bits, has a HUUUGE screen and projector, for TV, DVD's

etc, and has an amazing program for controlling it all... I will have togo look what it is.. and see if the disc is laying around there somewhere...  :cool:

clownius

I shall continue to keep us well off topic lol.  At this moment in Vista i am using 3.2Gb of RAM!!!!
A whole 4 FF Tabs, One Usb device mid copy (3.5Gb of files from USB to USB) and obviously BOINC (2X GPUGrid (gEV,Je) and 8 ABC WU's).  That's the least RAM i have seen it use in ages.  When i game i suddenly think its time for 12Gb RAM.  But if i want to game its not like i have a choice in the matter.
Whats even worse is the Vista decides my game has crashed due to a graphics driver crash randomly.  Saddest thing is i can see the game happily playing in behind the your dead box.  There's no problem at all beyond Vista being a pain and worse still no matter what i do it closes the game once i click the Close program or the X to close the box!!!  If only it would let me save the game first :cry2:

So as you can tell im a massive Vista Fanboi lol

Oh lastly can anyone tell me what if anything Readyboost does?  I have a 4Gb USB stick for Readyboost and im yet to notice any difference with it plugged in or not plugged in.

Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.3GHz, 64GBRAM, Asus GTX 780 ROG Poseidon

clownius

Explains why its not doing anything for me i still have RAM to use before i start caching.

Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.3GHz, 64GBRAM, Asus GTX 780 ROG Poseidon

Tixx

Mysteron347

WikiWill

Quote from: ONYX on March 31, 2009, 09:26:07 AM
I wouldnt go nuts with this one veebs, its very unreliable at the moment, and I will not be crunching it again untill the B@A team issue is fixed and we can all join WikiWill in racking up the points for the team

Unreliable is probably the understatement of the year :D

Yes the server is down again and has been for a few days, so it's not looking hopeful!