News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

In Ubuntu....

Started by Furlozza, July 20, 2009, 07:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furlozza

Just what do I have to do to get up and running? I have downloaded the object files, but where do they go..... since I guess they are required to get the beast up and running, and asking the server the right questions for work.

yeah, WS's big jump (or was it Wiki's) brought out the greed factor *sigh*

Wang Solutions

There is no work at the moment and has not been for around a week. You don't actually have to do anything other than to attach. If you want to use the GPU app, you need to make sure you do not have the latest driver which causes crashes with most projects, but any of the ones before are fine.

They are not going to release more work until they have the apps giving similar performance across platforms. The current apps very heavily favour 64-bit Windows over other  platforms. They are currently porting the optimisations to the other apps and there might be more work next week.

Furlozza

Have completed two wus and have been slightly off put by the fact that it uses all four cpus in iGnatious. Credit has just been for 75, so for having (nearly) all four cpus working on it is a slack return. The only thing I can say in its favour is that when using the four cpus it runs the coolest of any project I have used on Ubuntu. Oh they took just over an hour each.... so effective return is less than 20 cr /hr. MW is definitely quicker, even on TheGnat, and definitely more productive. I suppose that Aqua is not unlike ABC in that it is the variation missing as yet that brings forth the greater rate.

kashi

Yep I had a go too on Win 7 64. Runs cool because it only uses about 80% CPU. Tasks take between 14 and 30 minutes to complete so cr/hr/core ranges from very poor 20 to middling 44.
Interesting concept though multi threading like that. Runs on all 8 cores and doesn't share correctly with ATI MilkyWay so I went back to WCG. Need more and better colour badges. :)

Had to switch to Win 7 to get my new GPU to work with MilkyWay. Woke up this morning and everything was very quiet but the power light was slowly blinking, power saving had kicked in 30 minutes after I went to bed and everything was hibernating. Thankfully it wasn't meltdown like I first suspected. No thank you Mr Hibernate, I prefer tasks to take a minute rather than 6 hours.  

Wang Solutions

Quote from: kashi on July 26, 2009, 01:14:01 PM
Had to switch to Win 7 to get my new GPU to work with MilkyWay. Woke up this morning and everything was very quiet but the power light was slowly blinking, power saving had kicked in 30 minutes after I went to bed and everything was hibernating. Thankfully it wasn't meltdown like I first suspected. No thank you Mr Hibernate, I prefer tasks to take a minute rather than 6 hours.  

Yes, that is my big complaint abut Windows 7 - the default power setting is to turn the computer off after 30 minutes of "inactivity". Of course, only mouse or keyboard input counts as "activity" - never mind that the CPU is flat out processing!!

It is now the first thing I change when I install Windows 7.

Regarding the mutli-threading, it is an interesting and sensible concept, but they have certainly not got it right yet. There is currently no way to limit the number of cores that the AQUA app uses, so you really cannot properly run it alongside any other project. It is a bit of a hog.  ::)

kashi

Haha, oink, oink Aqua. Yes if it becomes possible to configure the number of cores to use then multi-threaded Aqua will be useful for BOINC scheduling issues.

I needed to install in a hurry and hadn't read up on Windows 7 at all, so it's not surprising I ran into a few glitches. I have no DVD burner so had to install from a USB stick which worked quite well. Lots of eye candy and services running means it uses a lot of ram and the install size is gigantic. It's trying to annoy by impersonating Linux with security measures preventing me from doing simple things but have recently had such trouble with different versions of BOINC misbehaving I have no malice left to direct towards Windows 7. I suppose it's like hitting your toe to cure a headache. Thankfully back on BOINC 6.6.31 now and going faster than a speeding bullet. :)

Not only that but the heat coming off the GPU is keeping my feet warm!