News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

New App?

Started by veebee, August 15, 2009, 09:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

This morning has seen a new ap (I think).. 2.35 MT.

The work units take way less time to complete, and sadly, I dont think the credit is anywhere NEAr as good as it was....

EDIT: done a few quick sums.. on both my  i7 (clocked to 3.3) and a Q6600 (@3.1) both running WIN7 x64,  these new WU's are paying a touch over 25 credits per hour per core.   :furious:

WikiWill

Yes I saw some of those too, and found the shortness/credit discussed on the forum:
http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=307

veebee

I have been reading over the 2 or 3 threads on these short WU's, but cannot work ou tif they are going to increase the crdits, or if they have already dones so ??

Someone mentioned finishing the cpl he was doing , then resetting the project.... but I am already running the same "32-3M" WU's he is talking about.

I'll wait a little while and see if it gets "corrected", but will move elsewhere if it isn't done by say, lunchtime.

WikiWill

I just connected and picked up two 48-3M units.  At 10% through the first, it should run about 6 hours.

veebee

my i7 has done 4 of the 48-3M WU' the first two took 15000 odd seconds (4.2 hrs) each, the next 2 only took 5000 seconds each ! (1.4 hrs) - for around the same or higher credit !

It i sstill a lot lower than the old long WU's..

kashi

I did one of the 48-3M. It took 51 minutes to complete on 8 cores and granted 378 credits.

veebee

mine are still around the 5K seconds mark, yet credit jumps from as low as 380, up to 495 ish. (most are around 420 - 450)

kashi

The time reported on the AQUA site is only the time between when you received them and when you reported them. It has no relationship to Run Time or CPU time. The last 7 48-3M completed by your i7 took 45 minutes each on average.

veebee

@ kashi - where did you get that from ? I have looked in all the details to do with the Wu's (from the info in "my account" at Aqua@home site).. but I cant find those figures anywhere..

I'd love to know where that info is so i can get a good look at what my boxes are doing..

WikiWill

Maybe I see different info too.  For one of my hosts (an E8400) I see a collection of short WUs picked up through the day, and then returned in groups, and "run time" seems pretty close to expected.  If this works see http://aqua.dwavesys.com/results.php?hostid=4633

kashi

Quote from: veebee on August 15, 2009, 11:12:14 PM
@ kashi - where did you get that from ? I have looked in all the details to do with the Wu's (from the info in "my account" at Aqua@home site).. but I cant find those figures anywhere..

I'd love to know where that info is so i can get a good look at what my boxes are doing..

You can't get it from the AQUA website task details for an individual task. You need to look in BOINC Manager for your Elapsed time for an individual task.

However if you have been running AQUA tasks continuously for a while you can calculate an average from the website. For example between 5:03:17 UTC and 10:21:39 UTC your i7 completed 7 48-3M tasks. So that is 5 hours and 18 minutes divided by 7 tasks or about 45 minutes per task.

This only works if you are processing the same type of AQUA tasks continuously. From a combination of the times involved and the average time calculated it was a fair assumption that your i7 had been running 48-3M tasks continuously during that time. The first 48-3M you completed was not included because the time indicated it was either an outlier or more likely there was some time after you received it during which you were not processing it.

If you are not processing AQUA tasks continuously then you cannot use the "Run" time shown on the AQUA site to calculate anything except how long has elapsed since you received the task from the AQUA server until you reported it. The "Run" time shown on the website is not calculated using the actual computer time you took to process the task. If you have the maximum of 2 tasks and process AQUA continuously without any delay then the actual run time of any tasks of the same qubit size after the first one completed is likely to be on average half the time reported by the website. This is because there is one task waiting while one task is being processed, so the time since a task was received from the server until it is reported is double the time to complete one task. Except for the first one you do of course, because then there is no waiting time involved.

veebee

thanks Kashi, never thought of looking at it that way. provided it runs the sam TPYE of WU's continuously, there IS the one which is always waiting, and starts up "instantly" after the one before finishes.

Cheers mate !

kashi

You're welcome veebee. I am staying on WCG for a little while until the 200 qubit tasks are available. I'll get those 2 gold badges one day!

By the way, great work on your interview in the Herald. +1  :thumbsup:

New heroes with a hard drive