News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

i5 and "new" i7's...

Started by veebee, August 27, 2009, 05:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veebee

My favourite online parts shop has just started advertising (maybe I nevr noticed that they started a while ago..) the i5 and a diff version of i7's..

I never realised the i5 were gonna be a different socket than the original i7's... and that they were only gonna be 4 core / 4 thread !

for the extra few dollars, and the extra 35W , arent you better off with another  4 threads available ?

kashi

Yes i5 750 is base model quad with no hyperthreading. I think you need a Core i7 860 to get 4 cores with hyperthreading. That's a socket 1156 i7. "It's i7 Jim, but not as we know, not as we know it"

veebee

so then, any news on when a real 8-core CPU is coming our way ?

I have read abou tthe "hydra" 8 core of AMD, supposedly being released "Mid 2009 or a little later".... but nothing other than the original articles is out about them..

kashi

Yes there's always something new coming, but sometimes the plans change along the way. There's 8 core Beckton Nehalem EX from Intel and 12 core Magny-Cours from AMD. They are both server type CPUs though. You could have a dual processor platform (2 sockets) Magny-Cours computer with 24 cores but I don't think a 2 socket Nehalem-EX system is planned only 4 or more. When AMD goes to 32nm Bulldozer core they are planning 16 core Interlagos, so you would have a 32 core system with 2 of them.

For systems more suited to home crunching of CPU applications, in theory it currently looks like the Intel Gulftown 6 core is the one to watch for. However the way Intel is pushing socket 1156 as the mainstream choice it may be that Gulftown will be offered in a market segment that is priced too high for many crunchers. So depending on how many more BOINC projects start supporting GPU processing, by then some BOINC contributors may instead be looking for power efficient dual cores with hyperthreading running on motherboards that support multiple high end graphics cards.

veebee

yeah, I am beginning to think that multiple GPU's might be the way to go, rather than clogging the room up with more boxes (although there WILL be some empty cardboard ones..).

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: kashi on August 28, 2009, 02:49:39 AM
Yes there's always something new coming, but sometimes the plans change along the way. There's 8 core Beckton Nehalem EX from Intel and 12 core Magny-Cours from AMD. They are both server type CPUs though. You could have a dual processor platform (2 sockets) Magny-Cours computer with 24 cores but I don't think a 2 socket Nehalem-EX system is planned only 4 or more. When AMD goes to 32nm Bulldozer core they are planning 16 core Interlagos, so you would have a 32 core system with 2 of them.

That's the sort of thing I need for virtualiasation. That's where we put lots of virtual servers on one stonking great computer. A four way 32 core with HT and 512 GB RAM server with attached mass storage would really rock my socks and would make a half-way descent boincer box.  :thumbsup:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti