News:

Main Menu

no connection

Started by Furlozza, October 28, 2009, 06:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furlozza

Downloaded and installed the version of BOINC recommended by GPUGrid (after a series of crashes of wus) and now get the occasional message that BOINC is unable to connect to the net, and I am to check 'Advanced/Options/connections'.

I have looked into it, and see no way of setting up the connection they require, at least to this bloke's (limited) knowledge. The projects themselves are having no problems connecting with the sights..... well, CPDN is being stroppy, but besides that no real troubles other than when sites are down/updating.

AM I alone? Or should I reboot and cross fingers?

Vajras

What version BOINC? - what version OS? - do you have your p'word to connect done correctly, e.g. gui_rpc_auth.cfg? Have you selected (in Boinc Mngr) Activity/Run always and /Network activity always available - have you done Advanced/Do network communication?

Similar intermittent "connection" prob here too but not toooo terminal - i just close the pop-up as i know everything is going up and down fine!

If, doze - aslo suggest you make sure boinc.exe, boincmgr.exe, boinctray.exe, boinccmd.exe and boinc.scr are listed in the Allowed tab in your [Windows] firewall/s. No need to add ports, although for Windows Vista and above you may need to enable boinc.exe to act as a server.

Let us all know how you get on

HTH

Furlozza

Vajras

Have done the Activity/run always and /network connection always available. Have also done the Advanced/do network connection... and modem was crazy for a while *grin*

As for the firewall, since ZoneAlarm have changed set-up (or I downgraded to the freebie) can't actually see what is and isn't allowed nowadays. Just know that any pop-up I get with regard to Boinc is always allowed. So, am at a point where I will just bare it.

However, one thing I won't bare is the constant run of computer errors with GPUgrid, which really grates when you look at the wus on site and see that guys with lower vid cards CAN complete them, whereas mine fails. Did notice that those that are passing by other folks are being done on quads or I7s or it just may be my imagination. So am putting GPU to bed for a while whilst I do some serious financial thinking.............. I7.... GTX 285...... decisions decisions decisions :sg1: