News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

With Windows 7 & Vista, it can be impossible to securely delete a file.

Started by Vajras, December 26, 2009, 08:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vajras

What you should know about Volume Shadow Copy/System Restore in Windows 7 & Vista

i thought this to be very interesting esp for those who now have it in comparison to the way XP handles file deletion.

http://tinyurl.com/yleobxl

And an MSDN article on Excluding Files from Shadow Copies

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa819132%28VS.85%29.aspx

Mysteron347

All rather interesting for those of us that have commercially-sensitive data that needs to be securely-deleted. Other than brew-yourself restore points and installation-triggered restore-point creation, it would seem to be more reason than ever to turn OFF automatic update-installation.

From the first link
QuoteIn addition, Windows automatically creates restore points at hard-to-predict intervals. The first thing to understand here is that the System Restore task on Vista and 7 will only execute if your computer is idle for at least 10 minutes and is running on AC power. Since the definition of "idle" is "0% CPU usage and 0% disk input for 90% of the last 15 minutes, plus no keyboard/mouse activity" (source), it could take days for your machine to be idle, especially if you have a lot of programs running in the background.

would appear to imply that BOINCers would never get one of these when-idle restore-points. I wonder whether this could explain the abominably-long start-up time on Vista - it's off creating a secret snapshot?

AusCavalier

Quote from: Mysteron347 on December 26, 2009, 05:37:54 PM
I wonder whether this could explain the abominably-long start-up time on Vista - it's off creating a secret snapshot?

It's about the only explanation I have left for my machine. I've gone through it a stripped everything out of the start-up list bar the absolute bare neccesities for the machine to operate, and it still takes close to 60 seconds.... compared to my wife's XP machine (which seems to be filled with more crap than the Werribee Sewage treatment Plant) taking only about 15 seconds or so...

I'm seriously debating the switch to Windows 7...

veebee

Win 7 is great ! and go the 64 bit install... makes a big difference on some projects/ makes SOME difference on most projects..

and it seems to be fully supportive of all/ any 32 bit apps/ programs that you require - it has two separate "program files" folders - one called "Program files" and the other , "Program files (x86) ".

I still have the 64 bit RC version, build 7100 on my two i7's, but have purchased an OEM 64 bit install of Win 7 ultimate ($219) - first money M$ have gotten off me in a looong time ! (since upgrading to Win95 on my first PC: a 486 DX2-66 )

Mysteron347

QuoteI still have the 64 bit RC version

Do they have a non-denominational version?