News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project News - AQUA@home

Started by Cruncher Pete, February 11, 2009, 09:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Good to see them back in action.

On my computer these short WUs are about as hot as a paddle pop, still anything is better than Ibercivis. Hope the longer ones are have a bit more curry in them. :)

dyeman

They're back but the credit isn't unfortunately - I'm seeing 200 credits for 5 hours processor time.  Still, it's better that WCG  ;D

Folding Stats

kashi

Haha yes, the shorter tasks traditionally have a lower credit rate at AQUA than the longer tasks. 32 and 48 qubits tasks should start getting better, they are due to be issued in 2-3 days time.

WikiWill

If anyone is wavering on their decision to install a 64 bit OS - I'm running these 2M tasks on two identical boxes running XP x86 and Win 7 x64, and the latter completes them almost twice as fast.   :wink

kashi

They're back.

32 qubits tasks now available. Give 'em a try, they should be better than the earlier ones. :)

I've ripped into my first one, looks like they will take about 2 hours on 8 cores @ default clock.

Vajras

Quote from: kashi on October 14, 2009, 06:14:18 AM:)
I've ripped into my first one, looks like they will take about 2 hours on 8 cores @ default clock.

About the same time for a quad on stock.

Kashi, perhaps you could answer this one for me - why is it saying i'm crunching 2 at the same time when clearly there's only ever been one going at any one time? It wont send me any more until i've returned the finished one and it wont do that automatically until i hit "update"?

Host   Project   Date   Message
   harry-desktop   AQUA@home   14/10/2009 2:09:07 PM   Message from server: (reached limit of 2 tasks in progress)
   harry-desktop   AQUA@home   14/10/2009 2:09:07 PM   Message from server: No work is available for D-Wave's Adiabatic QUantum Algorithms - Multi-Threaded
   harry-desktop   AQUA@home   14/10/2009 2:09:07 PM   Message from server: No work sent

Also, what would i need to include in my "app_info.xml" in order to "return tasks immediately" thus saving me constantly monitoring it to be able to hit "update" to get more (there's only ever 1 spare in cache at any one time, sometimes none 'ti i hit the update).

Thanks in advance

kashi

A quick answer. Have to go out and drive someone to the doc.

It's just the way BOINC  phrases things, in progress doesn't mean 2 tasks are running concurrently, but that 2 tasks are in your cache. Depending on how you have your cache and connection configured, it should download another task before the last of the 2 you were originally assigned is finished processing. It is quite normal that it won't give you another one until you have completed and reported one. The limit of 2 is designed that way to stop people hoarding large numbers of tasks and not returning them promptly or at all. It also has the additional benefit of allowing more people to participate, rather than all the tasks being downloaded by a much smaller number of contributors.

Not app_info but cc_config is what you are seeking.
Create a file in the BOINC data directory named cc_config.xml and copy the following lines into it:

<cc_config>  
<options>  
<report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>  
</options>
</cc_config>

After you create the cc_config.xml, click Advanced -> Read config file in BOINC Manager. Thereafter, cc_config.xml will be read whenever BOINC Manager starts.

Edit: Back now. Reworded and expanded a bit to make it clearer. If you don't wish to use report_results_immediately because it is unsuitable for other projects (perhaps GPU projects) then you can just use Windows Task Scheduler or an update script in Linux to update AQUA regularly at an interval of your choosing. If you have your cache and connection settings suitably configured you shouldn't need to do any of this however to keep 2 AQUA tasks in your cache most of the time. I understand that may not be an option though if you need particular cache/connection settings to support other projects.

Vajras

Thanks - much appreciated

Final Q - how come it "appears" that all 4 cores are not crunching 4 WU's but only 1 WU at a time - as opposed to MW where 4 WU's are crunched, 1 by each core?

How many WU's are you showing for your 8 cores?

kashi

Up until June AQUA employed a single core to process its data. Starting with version 2.18, AQUA's application used multi-threading to use multiple cores and speed up its computation. AQUA's application uses OpenMP to create and manage its threads and to decrease its execution time. This is why single core computers are no longer able to download and run AQUA tasks.

In default configuration the current AQUA application will use all available cores up to a maximum of 8. So my Nehalem is running 1 AQUA task at a time and it is using all 8 cores. Actually my computer only has 4 physical cores but it can process 8 threads due to hyperthreading, so it is generally considered to have 8 "cores".

So you could say AQUA is using all 4 physical cores (or 8 virtual cores/threads) in parallel as though it were one single core. AQUA doesn't use all the cores completely, on my computer which also processes MilkyWay or Collatz tasks on the graphics card this results in a total CPU load of 89-95%.

WikiWill

We have picked up in this project and are currently the TOP TEAM by RAC: http://aqua.dwavesys.com/top_teams.php 

Great work everyone!  There is plenty of work in the queue.  Those of us running AQUA on 64 bit Linux will see some improvements today after Neo found a problem with that app build: http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=345&nowrap=true#4834

:rocks

WikiWill

AQUA@Home has issued some big new work units today.  If you are crunching this and nothing else on slower dual-core systems, you might find that the estimated time to complete exceeds the WU deadline.  You might not get any work.  For example on one of my boxes, the initial estimate for a '09nov09-96-4M-128' task was 27000 hours!

There is more info in this thread: http://aqua.dwavesys.com/forum_thread.php?id=355

However if you're having trouble getting a new WU and you see a BOINC error message related to insufficient time, wait for existing WUs to complete, then reset the project (or detach and re-attach).  That should solve the problem.

The new WUs should pay very well but will take a long time (days) and don't like sharing CPU with other projects.

BOINC@AUSTRALIA is currently 2nd by RAC and 5th by total credit, but moving up on 4th spot: http://aqua.dwavesys.com/top_teams.php

Dataman

Yep, I just got one for 3692 hours on a quad.  :shock It's starting to look like CPND.  biggrin

Furlozza

xtermiGnator received two 98 series and they had a time of 127 hrs......... and the currently being processed unit has been going for just about 9 hrs and is 58+% completed.

Am glad I am NOT doing this one on iGnatious *wiping sweat from brow*, let alone TheGnat *shudder*.

Now, to do some reading about how to increase GHz without crashing system............... oh, and just fur a laugh......

Here's xtermiGnator's CPU Cooler

Dataman

Quote from: Dataman on November 11, 2009, 09:57:31 AM
Yep, I just got one for 3692 hours on a quad.  :shock It's starting to look like CPND.  biggrin
After 19 hours, this work unit is showing 127 hours to completion. Either my machine is running like a scalded dog or their estimates are hosed!  biggrin :jester: biggrin