News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

FreeHAL@Home looking good

Started by WikiWill, January 27, 2010, 02:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveandton

Okely Dokely buddy. Thanks
Dave

veebee

well, 0530 hrs and there's no wok left...

seems like everyboincer had a run on freehal ...

Zed

I'm curious as to how long these wu's are supposed to take ? do they use cpu or gpu or both ?

i just checked 1 box and it was still crunching 1 wu after 90mins ..if this is the case then 12 credits for 90 mins work is pathetic.

WikiWill

They take between 90 and 110 minutes on my machines.  However they only use about 10 seconds of CPU time.  No GPU.  They are designed to be very light on CPU and just use RAM.  They sit on 0% for about 8-10 mins, then when they reach 100%, they take another 5-10 mins before completing.

You get 15 credit, but the stats page at FreeHAL shows 12 due to old calculations that have not been updated.  You can read more in their forum.

Dingo

Quote from: veebee on January 30, 2010, 05:32:27 AM
well, 0530 hrs and there's no wok left...

seems like everyboincer had a run on freehal ...

Seems to be OK now, I am getting work  :yahoo:

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

daveandton

Now the sites crashed. Thought it was too good to be true        :compbash:
Dave

Zed

bugger just when i had 10 wu's to return  :faint:

WikiWill

Yeah, I've got a few due back too.  The server has had pretty close attention by the admins in the past few days so hopefully it will be sorted in the next day or two.  It is an Alpha project so these things can happen  :cry2:

In the three days we've been giving extra attention, the team RAC has jumped from ranked in the 90s to the 40s and still climbing steeply.
http://boincstats.com/stats/team_graph.php?pr=freehal&id=92

Agnew

There back up and the work units are flowing,,,

kashi

Yep crunching along nicely again. The outage was caused by a DDoS attack. The administrator needed to block 117 IP addresses.

I myself suffered a BDoC attack yesterday (BOINC Denial of Crunching), when the benchmarking that happens every 5 days caused all 25 tasks to restart after 90 minutes. :)
If it happened with a project that used any resources I would be tempted to try out the --skip_cpu_benchmarks command.

The team is roaring up the charts, that's always good to see.

veebee

looks like the site is down again - cannot upload  or even get to the site.

Is there somewhere we can get the "alternate" address or "proxy" or whatever they are called ?

I remember similar happening with another project when I first started and we put an IP address in the HTTP proxy (or the SOCKS one, cannot remember exactly) to allow uploading/ downloading of work etc.

WikiWill

Hmm the title of this thread is a bit misleading now!

I haven't read anything about this site having a proxy or alternate server.  I expect that only helps for projects with a working server and redundant ISP connections?  I may be wrong, but I can't see how a proxy could collect or issue work if the project server is down.  It would be great though - I have a bunch of WUs ready to go up.

Agnew

Before the site went down, the home page mentioned they were hoping to more onto a new, dedicated server (i7) & array, independent of the previous YoYo hosting, this weekend.

kashi

Hope they get it fixed so it is more reliable. I like the idea of doing some extra work and only using minimal CPU resources.

If anyone wants to do some SIMAP, work units are currently available. At a team ranking of 31, this is another project that is rated urgent on Teemac's chart. Haven't done any SIMAP for a while, can't remember what the credit rate is like. It's probably not generous like most medical/biology projects but that won't stop me doing a bit there.

WikiWill

For anyone following along the FreeHAL story...  In the last 2 days they've been dishing out new version WUs that throw computation errors on all my boxes, but in the last hour there is finally some valid work completing (win7 x64 anyway), and supply seems good.

Give it another go if you're game  :thumbsup:

The team is certainly jumping up the chart so congrats everyone  :congrats  39th by project RAC, 77th by total credit.

UPDATE: Success is a state of mind :)  Some of the WU batches are still failing.  It's unpredicatable.  But the only impact is bandwidth for the failed downloads, as they use almost no CPU.