News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Possible work from LHC

Started by Zed, February 08, 2010, 10:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zed

This is only hearsay but thought it might be worth mentioning .

On ABC radio today there was an interview with a scientist from ANU who is working at the LHC. He said that sometime in the next month the LHC will be up and running but only at 1/2 power due to current equipment not being able to handle the amount of heat generated running at full power. He says it could be up and running for at least 12 months to do limited research until such time as they can do upgrades to cope with the heat,which could take up to another 12 months to complete.

So sometime in the next couple of months we might see some work generated to feast upon.

veebee

THAT would be lovely !

my favourite project from day 1 - without a doubt .

Mike Mitchell

I hope so. The project was down for a while yesterday, Monday, and came back a while latter. I tend to suspect that that happened a few times. Which may be an indication that someone has already been checking the server.  :thumbsup:
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Zed

Good news  just received 2 new wu's from the project  :cheer1:

but the sad news is 1 errored out after 5 secs when i tried to see what the screen saver might have been  :boom:

so i guess if you do score a wu don't attempt to view the screen saver  Bashhead

Zed

Has any1 else gotten there share of LHC wu's ?

just been through all the wu's i've successfully completed and it seems i managed to get 60 or so but only 40 were validated the rest were deemed redundant or some sort of error  :hbang:

some wu's were completed in seconds but theres 1 that went for 15 or more hrs claiming a miserly 255 creds  :cry2:

Oh well its a start

veebee

nope - had none, with 3 computers opened up and begging nicely...

shame too, as it has been my favourite project since day 1.

Mike Mitchell

Quote from: Zed on February 27, 2010, 02:53:08 PM
Has any1 else gotten there share of LHC wu's ?

I also got three or so but no credit yet. I'll check and see if they are still pending.

edit: Nope, they have been awarded but my LHC credit hasn't changed.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

tazzduke

Greetings to one and all

Just for those that aren't aware there is a massive amout of work available at the moment, which is good news for those who are dedicated to crunching this project.

Regards
Tazzduke

Crunching For The Benefit of Humanity :-)

AA 24 - 53 participant

chooka03

Just broadening our topics of conversation on the forum here...... I went to the museum in Brisbane today and saw the LHC exhibition.
It wasn't bad...nothing great either actually. The video they showed really was quite boring actually. Despite paying $15.00 to get in, my wife made a hasty exit after that video. The rest of the exhibit was ok. Great to see some cross sectional areas of the project and explain how the detectors work.
I don't think it was worth paying to get into though.

http://www.hadroncollider.qm.qld.gov.au/

I just saw they have an "After Dark" exhibition which might have been more entertaining.

chooka03

Do you guys find it hard to get WU's sent to you?

I see there's HEAPS of sixtrack work but no matter how many times I manually update the project in the BOINC manager, no new work is sent.  :thumbdown:
Even if I restart BOINC it doesn't fetch work. Strange. Every other project it's straight away.

Daniel

I have the same problem.
When I try to get work, I get the message "No tasks are available for SixTrack".
But when I look a the "Server Status" page it says there are 1135229 unsent tasks for SixTrack.

kashi

Tried it myself and yes me too.

Hmm, over 1 million Sixtrack tasks loaded into the server queue.

They've been repeatedly warned of the server upload/download constipation and the obnoxious resend delay this may cause yet they continue to do it.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." No matter how many times their server gets whupped it seems they just cain't get their mind right, boss.

Ah well, guess everyone can't be perfect and pretty like me. :wink

Dingo

I am getting work well sometimes.  They have had a lot of problems uploading and downloading tasks lately.   I just leave LHC@Home open for work and if it comes I crunch it but I only have sixtrack option ticked as I can't seem to get any VirtualBox project application to work consistently.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Daniel

I got a big lot of workunits today. :thumbsup:
I set it to "Allow new tasks" earlier today and just a few minutes ago when I checked on it I found it had downloaded 155 tasks.

kashi

Wait a minute, it's stopped failing.
Server's working, tasks are sailing
Getting credits, gee that's bettah
Sixpack crunchers kindly disregard this letter!

(Apologies to Allan Sherman.)