News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Anyone using an Imac?

Started by owner, March 08, 2010, 02:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owner

Thinking about dipping a toe in the water with one of these.  Reservation is how they would run temperature-wise with CPU and hopefully GPU running24/7 .  Anybody got any experience?

LawryB

Ah, the laptop built around a huge screen  :rofl:

I have an IMac 9.1 (early 2009) model with an Intel Core 2 duo processor speed of 3.06 Ghz.  It came with an ATI 4850 (512 mb). Has 8gb RAM.

PROs
Great for photo processing (why I got it)
Pleanty of software at reasonable prices.
Easy to use when you put your fingers in the right place.

Cons
Should have got (at minimum) a Quad.
At the moment have to run Win 7 via Boot locker to run GPU. Takes about 20 mins to churn through a collatz WU.
Means a log out/log in to change OS.  Tried VM ware but can't run GPU tasks using that.

Heatwise:  have run it 24/7 for a week (with a wacking big floor fan behind it) in temps up to 32C.

Would I do it again?  Probably not.  For the money I would be looking at one of the MAC Pro range or at least checking what was available PC wise for the money.
Check out the forums, there are heaps.

owner

Thanks LawryB. 
Thought that the Mac pro machine would probably be the better choice.
Will do a price/performance check against some PC's before mking the final choice
It's for use in the UK as I have to go back for a couple of months, and the laptop's getting a bit tired these days