News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

New Project -

Started by Dingo, April 03, 2010, 01:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

I mistakenly deleted the post instead of moving the posts.  Me BAD.   :cry2: Lucky I had a screen open with the posts in it so I could copy and paist.

Sorry for the inconvienience but carry on crunching.

kashi

Aussie Karma: +157/-0
  • [-]

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

New GPU project - DNETC@HOME
    « on: Today at 05:10:14 am »
       Reply with quote Modify message Remove message Split Topic
    DNETC@HOME is a new GPU project. It is intended to run on NVIDIA and ATI, however the current NVIDIA CUDA application does not work, so ATI only at this stage.

It is a wrapper project like yoyo and deals with RC5-72 cryptography. I haven't got time now to post a proper project overview but will do so in the next few days. The stats are now on BOINCStats and hopefully should be updated soon.

You can find out more at http://dnetc.net/ and this is also the url to attach to the project.

Work availability has been a bit patchy as they have been changing application versions to deal with various problems.

Currently the credit rate is quite good and it puts a lot of strain on an ATI GPU. To reduce noise, heat and power consumption I recommend that it should be run with a reduced GPU memory speed on recent ATI GPUs. The speed of processing is not affected by memory speed the same as MilkyWay. I run my 5870 at 500MHz memory at both DNETC and MilkyWay. Your experience may vary depending on your model of GPU, I'm just letting you know of my experience on a 5870. It is a CAL 1.4 Stream application so probably requires Catalyst 9.2 or higher.

If you feel like giving it a go then get cracking.   ROFL

dyeman

Aussie Karma: +167/-0
  • [-]

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: New GPU project - DNETC@HOME
    « Reply #1 on: Today at 08:15:25 am »
    This is timely - looks like Milkyway is going to be down for a day or so for maintenance.

(I remember doing this stuff before Seti Classic started !)

BF
    Forum Moderator
    Super Hero

Aussie Karma: +420/-0
  • [-]

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:52:33 am »
    Thanks for this Kashi, I'll attach and wait for some work  Thumbs Up

+1

dyeman

Aussie Karma: +167/-0
  • [-]

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:34:05 pm »
    No luck here - with HD4770, Catalyst 10.3, Win 7 64 bit, app starts processing OK (GPU 98% according to GPU-Z) but progress stays at 0.000%.  Cuda app just errors out as reported by others.

It is great to have more CUDA and ATI  projects!

kashi

• [-]

« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:50:59 pm »
    The length of tasks has been increased by 3 times, this is good as it may help to cure the server sluggishness and make the availability of work more reliable. It also reduces the on/off cycling on faster ATI cards. I have not completed any of the new longer tasks yet.

Slicker has reported the new NVIDIA CUDA 1.14 application is now working. Similar to MilkyWay and Collatz it is likely that tasks will take much longer on NVIDIA GPUs than on ATI ones.

I forgot to mention the Progress bar in BOINC Manager no longer works, my apologies dyeman.
    « Last Edit: Today at 12:54:36 pm by kashi »    

kashi

• [-]

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:33:19 pm »
    I have just completed a few of the new length tasks. They are taking about 405 seconds on my  5870 @ 950/500. Current standard length MilkyWay tasks take about 75 seconds at the same GPU core and memory speed. This means DNETC tasks should take roughly 5.4 times longer than a MilkyWay task on an ATI card assuming different card models scale the same on the 2 projects.

This is just to give anyone with an ATI GPU a way of estimating how long a DNETC task should take to process, seeing as there is no progress percentage shown.

I do not know how long NVIDIA cards would take on the new tasks, or whether they are able to handle the increased length of the new tasks at all.

This is a very new project so it is normal to expect some teething problems if you wish to try it. In spite of this I am always glad to have an extra project for my ATI regardless of what kind of science is involved. Useful also when the 2 other ATI projects are having trouble or are offline.

Excuse double post, thought it was better than editing my previous post in this case.
    « Last Edit: Today at 01:35:46 pm by kashi »    

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

Dingo

It looks like they also have the CUDA app running as well.  There still seems to be a problem if you are running an older card with less than 384 MB ?  :shock

I started a couple with mt GTX 275 and they are crunching, but not have completed as yet.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

kashi

Looks like it works, but in a strange way. After finishing one packet, the CUDA application assesses that the remaining 11 packets will take too long to complete and so terminates at that stage. It validates OK and grants the same proportional amount of credit, that is one twelfth of the credit that is granted for the 12 packets completed on an ATI card.

This is what I was referring to previously when I said that I wasn't sure the CUDA application could handle the new longer tasks. After looking at the stderr out section of task details I realised why CUDA tasks are granting less credit. I assume this is by design and is a way of getting around the problem of excessively long running CUDA tasks with no progress bar.

I don't know how the credit rate compares to other CUDA projects, perhaps not too favourably seeing how long NVIDIA cards take to process packets and tasks on this project.

Dingo

My GTX 275 is doing Wu in about 443 seconds and getting 120.80 credit which equates to almost 982 credits per hour.  It uses more CPU power than most of the GPU projects at 0.40 % CPU where the others like MilkyWay and Collatz only use 0.05 or 0.04 % CPU.

On the same machine Collatz gets about 1762 credits per hour and MilkyWay 1321 credits per hour.   So you get less credit than the other GPU projects and you also loose 40% of one CPU that cannot crunch CPU projects. 

I am still leaving it running with with the other GPU projects for a while while it is new.

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Yep I thought NVIDIA times looked a bit slow.

I agree the CUDA application is using too much CPU time.

Although it is close in your GTX 275 results, the CPU percentage shown in BOINC Manager for GPU tasks doesn't indicate how much CPU time is actually used. The value is used to allocate cores to support GPU crunching. This project automatically uses multiple GPUs concurrently, so 2 GPUs still only use 0.4 CPU core working together on a single task. However running MilkyWay for example if you had 2 GPUs processing a task each and you set the ncpus value to 0.4 cores then together they would use 0.8 of a core so only 3 CPU cores on a quad would be available to process other projects.

That's the original theory of it anyway, although sometimes it doesn't always work that way with some current applications such as AQUA. I can now process AQUA tasks on all 8 cores while doing MilkyWay even though I have a full CPU core allocated to support GPU crunching. If I do other projects like QuantumFIRE only 7 cores of it will run while crunching MilkyWay.

From the look of your results the CUDA application on your GTX 275 uses about 186-189 seconds of CPU time to complete one packet of a standard length 12 packet task.

Contrast this with your ATI card which is also shown by BOINC as using 0.4 of a CPU core but processes all 12 packets and only uses just over a second of CPU time.

BF

Ok, have crunched this project for 12 hours and picked up 100,000 credits already.. for my cards, that's a tad less than MilkyWay and somewhat more than Collatz when calculating cr/hr..

Will stick with it for a few days to see how project stability compares with MilkyWay..

Great to finally have a third option for ATI cards!  :dance:

LawryB

My 5870 on 800/900Mhz fan 60 temp 72 activity 98. 

Now seems to have settled into doing WUs as follows

dnetc_gpu_38xxx_x in 200 secs  (these the old WUs ?????)

dnetc_gpu_11xxxx_x in 480-495 secs.

Went to make a coffee and it racked up 30K (OK slight exageration).  Only had one computation error.

My pair of 4770s on my I7 with 16GB RAM went ape.  A single WU pinched both GPUs.   Little or no activity showed up on the ATI console and WUs were taking over 1.5 hours when they did complete.

I'll swap them for a couple of 5770s later this day (when  >:D allows me to stop working in the yard) and let you know.

I do hope the Milky Way hackers don't get active on this one.

kashi

As you said the shorter WUs are probably old ones, I think they are reissues (-1 -2 etc. at the end of the name).

Yes a few people on the DNETC forums have been having trouble with multiple GPUs although it works well for others. The troubles include very poor performance or the tasks freezing for hours without progressing. The performance issues not the freezing may be the model of cards used, perhaps the more recent ones with a larger amount of memory can handle running one task on 2 cards much better.

If you look at your 3 results with dual cards the only result that has stderr out details shows that the application stopped and started a few times. Your 5870 gobbles up WUs in one sitting however (no restarts).

There is a L'AF member who posted on the forum recently that he had managed to get dual cards to run one task each on his 4850s and this cured his problems. Couldn't understand exactly how he did it. I think he means you start BOINC Manager with one card "plugged" (connected to multiple input monitor or use dummy plug) and then download DNETC tasks and they will be marked to run on a single GPU after you plug the second card again. Don't know what would happen if you downloaded more tasks though. Wouldn't want to have to stop and unplug and replug your 2nd card every 40 tasks.  :(

BTW this project is Windows only, I noticed a member had attached a computer running Darwin.

LawryB

Thanks kashi.  Makes a bit more sense now.  Wonder what my 5970 will do with these?  When I get it that is.

kashi

Ohh a 5970, I've had my eye on those for a while now. The Amaze branded ones were down to from $800 until the Fermi reviews came out, then they popped back up to from $900. I'm not sure one would fit in my case, haven't measured. I was more concerned with noise, I would like to get a reference one and whack an Accelero XTREME cooler on it but they won't be available until May or so, that's if any stock reaches Australia.

DNETC will process one task on both cores of a 5970 same as it does for 2 separate GPUs in a box.

In other news, the team has just cracked 1 million in this project and is currently 12th in the team rankings. It may not last but it's not a bad start.  :dance:

kashi

OK, I did a Project Overview, could an administrator please sticky/pin the post and lock that thread please. Thanks.

Dingo

Done,  Thanks great job  :congrats

Radioactive@home graph

Zed

Hmmmmm

I have 2 Gtx cards running in 1 box and thought i would give this a go. it seems this project wont use the 2nd card and it wont run along side collatz.

Tried to run it on my ati card and all it did was error. not gonna bother with this project

LoneWolf_53

I've put one card on it.

Too bad they don't have a Linux provision.

dyeman

I'm running it together with Collatz on a 4830 (Win XP) and it seems to be OK.  Will drain the Collatz and give it a bit of a run.

Folding Stats