News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Optimised App Question

Started by den160593, April 08, 2010, 08:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

den160593

Hi,

I was just wondering, with these optimised apps. Are they stable and do they really offer faster results? If so, do they do this by using more of my comp's resources or by using a better algorithm?

Thanks!

kashi

I only use the ATI optimised app at Collatz. It is stable for me on my HD 5870. It is a little faster than the automatically downloaded app because I have changed one of the parameters to allow my GPU to operate at 99-100% GPU load instead of 95% load with the automatically downloaded app. Many prefer to use the standard ATI app that is automatically downloaded because there is no installation needed and the performance is not very much different.

They are actually the same app, just the optimised one gives you the ability to tweak things. I use it for a little extra speed, others use it to reduce GPU load slightly to make their desktop more responsive or reduce the temp of their GPU.

The optimised CPU app adds SSE support for 32-bit Windows, but really the best idea if you wish to run Collatz on the CPU is to use a 64-bit operating system as Collatz runs much faster on the CPU with a 64-bit OS, compared to a 32-bit OS.

den160593