News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

New work finally here

Started by Rob, September 04, 2010, 12:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

There are currently 289477 wu's in the queue, and Pasquale posted this in the forum
QuoteWe're creating about 300,000 WUs, the largest batch ever created on orbit@home. We will wait a few days to check how this goes trough, and if all goes fine, there will be several other similar large batches this month.

This is real data, and the results will be presented at a meeting in October, and will be tested on real telescopes in mid-October. We plan to write about this in more detail on the front page soon.

Enjoy!
The whole thread is here http://orbit.psi.edu/oah/forum_thread.php?id=397

I have  a couple on my Win 7 machine and about 16 on Kubuntu. The Win wu's have a ETC of a little over 2 hours and the Linux a little over 1 hour, although the first wu just finished in 32 and a half minutes  ;D

veebee

hmmm ... as much as I dont want to steer resources away from the AA - I will put some on Orbit as it is a project I waited for for ages and it hasn't had work for donkeys. A very worthwhile project !

I have spent two months straight on Docking, adding over 400K to my total so a little less wont hurt.

Rob

I've completed quite a few now & My Win 7 machine takes about 52-53 minutes for most wu's & claims around 23-24 credits. Unfortunately the lowest claim is granted so I've received as little as 10.9 which is only about 12/hour.
My Linux comp takes about 32-33 minutes & claims about 18-18.5 & granted in general hasn't been too far behind. So credit is about 2-3 times better on Linux, although still not good. Hopefully it's something Pasquale will work on once he's happy with the performance of the apps.

Dataman

Strange ... I started it today too. Never ran it before. Not a high payer but worthwhile project. I'm at about 14 credits/hr.

Tin Man

For info.
Project has now gone over to fixed credit per WU.
Level has been set at 25 credits initially.
Recent problems with uploads seems to be sorted out.
work coming through ok  (win 7 32 bit)

Dataman

Orbit@Home in Production Mode with Real Data
Submitted by tricaric on Sun, 09/12/2010 - 18:24.
We are pleased to announce that orbit@home is now in production mode. WUs are generated now at a rate of about 300,000 every week, each one requiring about one hour to complete on average personal computers. We plan to maintain this production rate for at least one month, and then reassess how to continue the research.

At this moment the research of orbit@home uses real observational data from dedicated near-Earth objects (NEOs) surveys. These surveys have dedicated telescopes that observe every night (weather and moon allowing), and detect asteroids and comets in the solar system. Most detected objects are already known and cataloged, but occasionally a new object is discovered. Historical observational data is available covering over a decade, and orbit@home is using it to generate an high-resolution population of NEOs, that is, mapping not only the known ones, but also the probability distribution of the ones that are still unknown. When we complete this work, we will have a very clear idea not only of how many asteroids and comets with a given brightness (related to their size) are still unknown, but also how they are distributed in space, and this is a very precious information for NEOs surveys that try to discover them every night. In principle, it will be possible to "hunt down" the large NEOs (larger than about 1 km) that are still missing in the catalog of known asteroids, and then progressively continue the search to smaller ones.

The complexity in tracking NEOs and describing their distribution probability has several sources: first of all, it's not simple to characterize how efficiently a telescope is observing every night, and how different factors play together in determining this; secondly, all asteroids move on different orbits, and when observed from the Earth, they all have different apparent rates of motion and directions, so their probability distributions keep stretching and moving on the sky plane. So doing this on a decade worth of observations, and for the whole NEOs population, is a very demanding computational problem, and tackling it could not have been possible without the help of tens of thousands of volunteers.

Preliminary results will be presented at the AAS Division for Planetary Sciences Meeting in October 2010.

dyeman

'nother batch of new WUs now available

Folding Stats