News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

BOINC 6.11.x

Started by Dataman, September 30, 2010, 04:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

I thought I would open this thread for those that want to discuss the "New and Improved" BOINC 6.11.x

I put BOINC 6.11.8 on a machine today. Win7-64 bit, I7 920 upgraded from 6.10.58. There are quite a few changes.
1. It installed fine (I had BOINC shut down).
2. I went to click the messages tab and ... WHAT??? ... it's gone! It was not apparent just where it went. Now you now have to click on Advanced ==> Event Log (I guess Messages are now Events) and it opens in a separate window. Personally I think this is a nuisance not an improvement.
3. They rearranged the tasks tab. The order is now Project, Progress, Status, Elapsed, Remaining, Deadline, Application & Wu Name.
4. There is a new tab "Notices". Nothing is in it on the projects I am running on that machine.
5. When I did the install (Win7) it turned off LAIM and I had to turn it back on.
6. There are new "features" in computing preferences. I would advise you check out everything here after the install. What you "had" may not be what you "have".
7. The high order tabs (File, View, Tools, Activity, Advanced, Help) had their contents shuffled around (e. g. Computer Preferences is now in Tools rather than Advanced)

I have not seen any crunching problems but I am not really Beta testing it ... just poking around. I've only run it for a few hours.

What do you think of BOINC 6.11.x?  

For what it's worth....  :thumbdown:

:aus1:

kashi

I've had problems occasionally testing newer versions, so now I just stay on one that works for me, unless a new version has an improvement or bugfix that I need. Currently still on 6.10.56. I had noticed some of the changes you mentioned on an early 6.11.x version I installed on a VM when I was doing a little AlmereGrid and FreeHAL. I didn't like it. Appreciate your thorough report and warnings about changed settings with 6.11.8.  :thumbsup:

LAIM, is it:
Leave An Instant Message?
Latin American Indian Ministries?
London Acting and Improvising Meetup?
Large Animal Internal Medicine?
League Average Innings Muncher?
Log Anonymization and Information Management Working Group?
a disrict of Munich?
a crazy hillbilly?

No, it's none of the above, it is Leave Applications In Memory. :)

Dataman

:rofl: LAIM = Let's All Invade Maui.  :rofl:

I found out the "Notices" is for RSS pop-ups from BOINC, the project or the client. This could be a real pain in the @$$. Imaginge if Dr. Anderson starts pontificating in there.  :hbang:

Thanks. Just wanted everyone to know there are big changes and beware of "land mines". Also heard 6.12.x may be out in a few weeks. The Berkeley people should get a life or go to Maui.  biggrin :jester: biggrin

Mysteron347

So - an improvement from the "any change is an improvement" school of thinking?

You'll be telling me next that they haven't had the sense to include "CPU time" on the tasks display and you still have to go through the "properties" tab dance to get that :rofl:

Well - at least they had the presence of mind to allow you to brew-your-own on the layout, just like the accounting packages have had for - well, a decade or more.....

And you don't mention how the logfile is now maintained  as a set of local files, not just overwritten on restart - how many generations are maintained, and where do you adjust it?

Naturally, the new .CSV with the listing of completed WUs will be useful to some, no doubt. Save all that logging-in to various projects to track them, for those who are interested. Nice-looking display facility for that, too?

Maui, you say?

Dataman

QuoteMaui, you say?
Yeppers mate. I'll buy the first two rounds of those drinks in a coconut with little umbrellas in them.  biggrin :jester: biggrin Rather have a Fosters.  :cheers:

What can I say? ... It's UC "Bezerkely" and I was graduated from the University of California San Diego. We should all genuflect when we are in the presence of God (Dr Anderson).  :rofl:

Their "improvements" always mystify me. But Dr A holds the "Master Plan"  :rofl:

+1 mate.  :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Mike Mitchell

Plus one for the report Dataman. I hadn't noticed that there was a new version and I usually install them as soon as I do. Not this time though!  :wink

By the way, you right like Dingo.  :dance: I saw your avatar but about half way through the first item I thought it was a Dingo post. It didn't click back until item six.  :sg1: Beam me up Scotty, I can do nothing further here.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Dataman

Thanks Mike I can always use some good Karma in this world. biggrin

I finished poking around in the nooks and cranies of 6.11.8. From a crunchers point of view, I can find absolutely nothing new that is useful in this release and the "messages" issue is very anoying to me. The RSS notices feature is scary. To me it is just change for change sake and for some very big egos at BOINC. I am going to roll back to 6.10.58 this evening. I guess someday I will be forced to upgrade but I see no reason to do so now.

Cheers all.  :cheers:

EDIT: Oh by the way, I just discovered that in BOINC's naming convention (A.B.C) if B is an odd number it is an Alpha test version and if it is even it is a Beta test version. Then one of the Beta's becomes the "recommended version". This apparently why 6.12.x will be out soon. Live and learn.  biggrin

veebee

I tried 6.11.x a few weeks ago and initially had the same "concern" .. "where is the message tab ???" but soon found it and yest, it is a pain to have to open it seperately.

I am also not keen on the changes to the tasks tab contents, but I did like how the computing preferences were split into "CPU" "GPU" and "NETWORK" activity.

All in all though, I found it so different after years of a pretty 'set" formula that I changed back to 6.10.58 on all machines.