News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Optimised apps

Started by veebee, February 12, 2009, 07:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WikiWill

Some advice needed.

I run BOINC inside a 32bit Windows XP install on a host with an Intel E5335 CPU.  I want to run the optimised app.

• CPU-Z reports the same thing when run inside the VM as on the host: Instructions supported include SSE3 and SSSE3.
  • BOINC startup message reports the processor features include SSE and SSE2 but not SSE3 or SSSE3.

The Milkyway forum has no relevant info.  So I'm trying the SSSE3 app to see what breaks.  Anyone tried anything like this?  Any ideas?

Furlozza

WW

Install the SSSE3. TheGnat's Boinc summary also didn't mention the SSE3 or SSSE3...... but CPU-Z did, therefore go fur it.

Wang Solutions

Yes, CPU-Z accurately reports processor capability, so use the SSSE3 app.

WikiWill

Thanks guys.  I've run a WU through on the SSSE3 app and looking good so far on the computer results page - it was successful and took 75% less time.  Just what I need for the coming AA  :cheer1:

teemac

Dumb question time  :hbang:

I use Kubuntu on my main machine and it takes about 1 second to change permissions for the new apps.

My other 2 Q6600 crunchers do nothing but run Ubuntu and Boinc.

I cannot for the life of me work out how to change the permissions to allow the new enhanced apps to work.  :cry2:

Everything is so hard to find and hidden away in Ubuntu. I can't even access the Milky app folder - it says you don't own it and don't have permission to alter it ( or something very close to this).

In Kubuntu you just click on folder, open as root, change permissions to anybody to do anything, done.

Any help greatly appreciated to do this in Ubuntu.

veebee

teemac, in ubuntu, I start "Nautilus" as a super user from a console (sudo nautlius) - I think you use Konqueror?

go to the files in var/lib/boinc-client/projects/ "milkyway", and then right click on them then select "properties".. there is then a few tabs, one of which is "permissions". click on it and then
there are some boxes that have "you" as the "owner".... these need to be changed to "boinc-client" or "boinc".

teemac

Thanks mate - got it.

A lot more involved than in Kubuntu. but it seems to be working.

:thanks1: :thanks1: :thanks1:

clownius

If it makes you feel any better i broke a few Wu's working out permisions for optimised apps myself.  All fixed now thankfully

Wang Solutions

You can also use Dolphin or Konqueror (install either through Synaptic). Then just launch them in a terminal using sudo .. and then as per VBs instructions. It only takes a few moments once you get the hang of it.

ONYX

Because of the great Milky optimized app for 32 bit windows, I stopped using my Ubuntu installation :(

I really wanna go back to Ubuntu, but the lure of Milky credit in XP is tooooo hard to break.

Can someone please provide me, in a nutshell, how the 64bit Ubuntu optimized app and the 32 bit optimized XP app perform against each other?

Rocoll

ONYX I'm someone and I can provide an answer in a nutshell ....

Same computer (Q9450), same clock speed(3.2ghz), same type of work unit (ps_s22)

Ubuntu 64      -   16 minutes 5 seconds
Windows XP 32 - 12 minutes 45 seconds

Tixx

dont venture to the dark side onyx!! stick to windoze ahahahh

clownius

Im running around 17-18mins on my Q9550 for each WU using optimised app for SSE4.1 on Kubuntu 64bit.

yoda

I actually ventured to the dark side for Milkyway.  My Xeon X3350 (effectively the same as a Q9450) takes 33% less tim efor the same work in Windows as it does in 64bit Ubuntu.   

It's getting approx. 142 credits per hour (on each core) when running Windows while I'm at work.  But when I'm home it goes back to Ubuntu where it gets around 100 115 credits an hour (based on the last 20 work units).  Both use the SSE4.1 app

Rob

My Q9450 gets about 107/hr & my Q9550 gets about 111. Both on Kubuntu. I'm more than happy with that as it's about 3 to 4 times the credit I get on most of my other projects ;D