News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

POEM GPU

Started by kashi, December 27, 2011, 12:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazzduke

Hiya Sean

That how I got my seti past 100K, now I just gotta get SETI Beta upto 100K, also ALBERT@Home is the beta for EINSTEIN and is testing ATI GPU at the moment, so that they can put it up at EINSTEIN once its all bug free, albeit they pay a fixed rate of 500 a workunit

Regards
Tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

kashi

There's currently some POEM tasks available. Only had 50 left in cache last night and when I woke up 400 had downloaded, so I'm fuelled for 3 days. :thumbsup:

I'm still moving up the POEM ranks, but as we all know it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n roll. :crazy

Edit: Looks like all the tasks are gone now, more computers must have woken from their backoff times and gobbled them all up.

Sean

Quote from: tazzduke on February 03, 2012, 11:42:14 PM
Hiya Sean

That how I got my seti past 100K, now I just gotta get SETI Beta upto 100K, also ALBERT@Home is the beta for EINSTEIN and is testing ATI GPU at the moment, so that they can put it up at EINSTEIN once its all bug free, albeit they pay a fixed rate of 500 a workunit

Regards
Tazzduke

I downloaded the GPU-only AstroPulse application and extracted it with Winrar. But when I click the .exe file a console window flashes up then disappears followed by nothing. I am downloading SDK at the moment, is that needed to run the executable?

tazzduke

Hi Sean

Have sent you a PM regarding Seti and Seti Beta

Regards
tazzduke

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

Mad Matt is sure crunching up a storm over here on Poem.  Well done and +1 karma  :congrats :congrats   http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/show_user.php?userid=21782

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

LawryB

That is a Category 5 cyclone.   Well done Matt.   Karma as well.    :thumbsup:

JugNut

Some mighty powerful crunching Matt  :thumbsup:

Now if you'd just leave a couple for the rest of us... :wink

Mmmm 2 machines crunching air, no Poem gpu's WU's.  Back up project Prime Grid both server & site down mmm.   Next i'll check Boinc Stats "what the" it's down too..   It's a flippen conspiracy I tells ya...

EDIT: Well at least Boinc Stats & PG is back!! Sheesh what next..

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Mike Mitchell

Damn, that is impressive!  :shock Plus one if I can find you matt.
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

Mad Matt

I am happy you like it. I completely forgot until Pete told me it's of course the hottest time of the year for you, so hopefully I could help you a little bit over that heat-steaming period.

I have been working for months on optimization of POEM with a bunch of nice guys at SUSA, so if I can offer some knowledge to you, I will be happy doing so. Though I have to say basically since AMD's 12.11 'Never Settle' beta it's all easy on AMD and does not need a lot more than an app_info. But still there are some tips how to make it scream, both for AMD and NV... ;)

:penguin:

Cruncher Pete

Quote from: Mad Matt on December 23, 2012, 04:56:03 AM
I am happy you like it. I completely forgot until Pete told me it's of course the hottest time of the year for you, so hopefully I could help you a little bit over that heat-steaming period.

I have been working for months on optimization of POEM with a bunch of nice guys at SUSA, so if I can offer some knowledge to you, I will be happy doing so. Though I have to say basically since AMD's 12.11 'Never Settle' beta it's all easy on AMD and does not need a lot more than an app_info. But still there are some tips how to make it scream, both for AMD and NV... ;)

:penguin:

Thanks Matt.  You are a legend.  I have been using your app_info and compared to others I found they certainly doing a great job.  Previously, I could not get my HD 2xHD7970's going.  What are the tips to make it screem, and is there any way to run the CPU apps at the same time, that so far has escaped me and can not do..  In the New Year, I intend to put all on Pogs though and not  POEM and beat Terminal* for third spot.  I love breaking sici's run and hold. At least they won't be abl;e to say we hold first, second and third places. :worship

Mad Matt

Cheers, Pete.   :wavey2:

Some of my favourite tips are:

Get Process Lasso from www.bitsum.com.  Set standard core affinity for all POEM cores (ideally you have one CPU per WU) and for CPU-project cores if you have any left. Next set POEM to standard priority high and standard I/O priority high.

Try to get as many PCIe lanes as possible, x16 is best and has a significant impact. If possible PCIe 3.0x16 for any capable card.

Put NV cards on old CPUs, in relation they perform better (except for the 6xx cards that really live up with highly-clocking CPUs and PCIe 3.0).  CPU load is high for NV, but you can safely clock GPU and Video-RAM to extreme levels.

For AMDs use highly clocked CPUs (best i7 using HT)  and try using your fastest CPU-RAM on good OC timings (look for OC references on the web to avoid crunching errors). You can usually get to extreme clocks since CPU load and temps will be extremely low. However, clocking V-RAM has little effect. On 5870s, you can downclock RAM to cut temps.

For AMDs 12.11 beta is a must. I found several rigs show great run times on Win 8 (especially the 7970). But if you want to work with your rigs, Win 8 is a risk and at best in public-beta stage...beware of Windows update. :P

:cheers:

kashi

What a coincidence, I just updated to 12.11 beta an hour before reading this thread. It really makes a big difference. Running 4 POEM tasks on my HD 5870 with 4 POGS tasks also running, GPU load has increased from 91% to 96%. The previous highest GPU load I could get was 95% by running no CPU tasks but now I prefer to do some POGS as well. First batch of 4 have just completed and are about 12% faster than before.;D

Thanks for your tips Matt, I'll give ProcessLasso a whirl later today, I've previously used it to speed up BOINC projects so it is already installed and I'm familiar with using it.

I can only run POEM for intervals due to heat and noise concerns but I'm enjoying giving it lash again. You're certainly going to town on POEM, always good to see someone getting really stuck into a project.:thumbsup:

Mad Matt

Quote from: Cruncher Pete on December 23, 2012, 07:53:10 AM

and is there any way to run the CPU apps at the same time, that so far has escaped me and can not do..  

It certainly could be done, but I have in total 7 cores left on 6 rigs running POEM, everything else goes into GPU feeding. So I never considered doing so and happily kept my poor CPU output for other projects.

Quote from: kashi on December 23, 2012, 12:01:15 PM
You're certainly going to town on POEM, always good to see someone getting really stuck into a project.:thumbsup:

Cheers, I am really loving it. It's one of the first times (almost completely missed the great days at MW) a science project offers real return for investing a little effort. So the choice was easy for me.  :dance: