News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

My cc_file

Started by Razankar, June 21, 2012, 05:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashi

Hi Razankar, welcome to the forum and +1 for your first post.  :wavey2:

I'm late to the party because I've been visiting my mum every day in hospital for the last 2 weeks and haven't been on the forum.

Your card should handle 4 at a time which will be more efficient than only running 2 at once. So if you wish to try it later, copy and paste the below into Notepad:

<app_info>
<app>
<name>poemcl</name>
<user_friendly_name>POEM++ OpenCL</user_friendly_name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>poemcl_1.3_windows_intelx86__opencl_ati_100</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>poemcl</app_name>
<version_num>103</version_num>
<plan_class>opencl_ati_100</plan_class>
<avg_ncpus>0.5</avg_ncpus>
<max_ncpus>2</max_ncpus>
<flops>2.1e10</flops>
<coproc>
<type>ATI</type>
<count>0.25</count>
</coproc>
<cmdline></cmdline>
<file_ref>
<file_name>poemcl_1.3_windows_intelx86__opencl_ati_100</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
</app_info>

Save as app_info.xml. Make sure to click drop down box Save As type: and select All files (*) so that .txt is not appended to file name. Place this app_info.xml file in C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\boinc.fzk.de_poem folder.

Restart BOINC, you should see something like "Poem@Home | 30/06/2012 6:55:18 PM  | Found app_info.xml; using anonymous platform" in BOINC Manager Event Log.

Download some fresh WUs and go to town. Good luck and good crunching. :thumbsup:

This app_info.xml uses 2 CPU cores to support 4 GPU tasks.
Because your AMD Phenom CPU has 6 physical cores this should work OK. Once you have it working satisfactorily you may wish to experiment with allocating 3 CPU cores to support GPU processing and/or running 5 tasks at a time. The aim is to reduce average task time, which is achieved by maximising GPU load percentage and thus increasing efficiency. What you finally decide on depends on the performance of your hardware and your own preference.

The use of this app_info.xml will prevent your NVIDIA card downloading and processing POEM GPU tasks. It is better not to use it and the associated CPU resources for POEM GPU when you have an ATI card available in that box which is more efficient for POEM. You could perhaps use it for another less CPU intensive GPU project if you wished.

Unlike some other GPU projects, POEM OpenCL GPU uses a lot of CPU resources so the performance/efficiency directly relates to the quantity of CPU resources allocated. If you allocate no CPU resources the POEM GPU application may be extremely sluggish and in some cases may freeze. If you allocate all CPU resources, POEM GPU performance will be maximised. The compromise you select will depend on the level of support you wish to give to CPU projects. Because of the reliance on CPU and the large amount of data transferred, performance is also affected by CPU speed and system memory speed/latency.

POEM GPU application on ATI/AMD cards does this research up to 100-130 times faster than a CPU core, that's oodles of research work processed so it is worthwhile to give it a whirl now and again when electricity bill allows. As a side benefit the credit rate when processing multiple concurrent tasks, although not as high as some code cracking GPU applications, is quite generous for a biology type project.

I am currently on one of my POEM "binges", running 5 tasks at once on my HD 5870. This processes lots of POEM protein research every day, which grants about 500K credits. It requires 5 of my 8 hyperthreaded CPU cores though, so only 3 CPU cores are doing CPU projects. I could do a bit more POEM work by allocating all 8 cores to support POEM GPU but I still like to support some old and new CPU projects, even if it's only with 3 cores.

kashi

New pills eh, often takes a while to get used to them. Do not hesitate to seek professional advice if you feel very poorly on them. Sometimes they need to change the ones they give you or adjust the dosage. Some may have side effects and it is reassuring if you can receive a proper explanation of what is happening.

I didn't like them but pills helped me survive until a daily routine, hard physical work and singing purged the unnamed terror and reawakened joy. For me this required a stay at an ashram. I had lots of different ones for years, now I only have fish oil, aspirin and the occasional Coopers Pale Ale.  :jester:
Most of the time now I'm as happy as Larry which I never thought was possible years ago.

Here's a limerick I wrote 30 years ago about Melleril and my psychiatrist:

A clever young doctor named Bardon
Grew colourful pills in his garden
Though they make one seem sane
One still has to complain
It's difficult getting a hard on.

Believe it or not, one of the nurses didn't know what a hard on was and she was most embarrassed when another nurse told her. biggrin

JugNut

@Razankar: No worries Ashley, pleased to. 

For the hard stuff kashi's the man to see.

@Kashi: Good to see you back, hope your mum's doing OK.

Cheers & happy crunching ..JN..