News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

PRPNet

Started by Dingo, June 06, 2014, 07:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Has anyone done any PRPNet work recently ?   I know that it is done outside of BOINC with an app that you download but does the credit go on your BOINC account ?   I see that the Primegrid Message board  has a board for it but not much info on what it is all about.  Lots of info on how to install and setup though.

I am going to create a board as an NON-BOINC project if I can find more info.

I have two running on my PC now just to test it out, but have setup so it uploads then quits.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

kashi

I used to do manual sieving years ago. You had to reserve a range to work on by posting on a special forum separate to the main PrimeGrid forum. It ran in command line box and credit from that used to be manually tranferred/assigned to the BOINC PSA (Project Staging Area) subproject. It used to take a fair while before the credit showed up in BOINC and it used to come in dribs and drabs so as not to spike your RAC.

Haha I found the "secret" http://primesearchteam.com forum which I hadn't visited since 2009, logged in with my old user name Tombei the Mist and sieving there is still going on and the current sieve is PPR9M. It makes use of graphics cards now. Here is how the credit works:

Receiving Credit

Manual BOINC cobblestones are earned while participating in these sieves. They are awarded in batches and then averaged out based off your current RAC.

Once COMPLETED ranges are moved from the main reservation post to the Archive post, credit is calculated and applied. However, it is distributed in relationship to your RAC. This is done so your daily credit more reflects the type of work you're doing. One day spikes do not represent that.

Daily distributions will continue to rise each day until most of your credit is distributed...then it will start to fall. However, if you are continuously doing manual work, your distributions will most likely level off as steady work continues to come in.

Not sure if that manual sieving is related to PRPNet though, it seems that PRPNet is run separately to that.  

Edit: Yes from further reading, PRPNet credits are manually assigned to BOINC just like the manual sieving:

- Credits for all PRPNet projects are combined into PrimeGrid PSA subproject (BOINC) credit.
- But stats for the separate PRP projects can be found on http://u-g-f.de/PRPNet/: tests done, primes found, credits earned.
20 PRPNet credits to 1 BOINC credit for most projects. wwww projects are 10:1 PRPNet to BOINC.
PRPNet credit is all converted into "PSA" BOINC credit on a periodic basis manually by our admins.

Dingo

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Dingo

I joined the prp-net challenge on my Windows pc and laptop but I couldn't get it to run on my Linux servers. I am the only member running the Challenge but the Team is in fourth place and I am in fifth place.  So turned off all CPU work on the PC and laptop and have eight cores running prp-net

Stats = http://u-g-f.de/PRPNet/challenge_stats.php

PrimeGrid: PRPNet March Challenge
Happy St Patrick's Equinox Challenge

Announced is a PRPNet challenge at the 121 prime search project from the 16th till 21st of March.
Work in PRPNet counts towards your PSA badge.
Leading edge of the search now up to 7,360,477 on both the plus and minus side. Goal will be to get both to 7.5M.
More about the 27121 prime search can be found here . News and infos about the PRPNet client can be found here .

To take part, you have to activate the following lines in prpclient.ini:
server=121:100:1:prpnet.primegrid.com:12001
Stats will be available at the well known place here .
All previous PRPNet challenge stats can be found here .
Discussion and more information can be found here: 2017 PRPNet March Challenge .

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

:mee-too
OK, I'm in.  v: 

Shame to leave you there on your ownsome.  :cry

Have set up a hexadeca on the duallie. Haha, hexadeca, now there's a word not often seen, sounds like an incantation by Magica De Spell.

Think I've done it correctly, will find out in about 12 hours when the tasks finish.

Dingo

I have eight cores running on a Linux server, seven cores on my windows PC and two cores on my lappy.  So far so good the lappy returned two and the PC returned seven and the Linux is still processing.  Should be a big change by the time I get up tomorrow as it is well past my bedtime at 01:08.

:yes  :rocks and  :smilefriday

EDIT:  I added another 8 linux instances before bed.  Should have a good tally in the morning.

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Ah, good you've got it working on Linux.  v:

Noticed it said something about AVX in the DOS box, so maybe that's why it's slow on duallie as its older Sandy Bridge architecture has an earlier AVX version. Will try running 4 instances on Skylake and see if improved AVX version there makes it much faster. Would run more Skylake instances but have a cache of Smash Childhood Cancer tasks there that I need to keep bubbling along a bit on BOINC together with my 4 Gekkos.

Not many participants, makes it easier to get a top ranking. :jester:

Hmm, "top ranking", now there's an earworm for today and yes they're actually wearing khaki suits:

https://youtu.be/KVBmeWAsRAA

Dingo

@Kashi I looked about an hour ago and you had 2 tests done and just now it is 10 tests.  You are really pumping them out.  :bravo

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Haha, "pumping them out" alright, yeeha, 20 tests now and straight into a top ten ranking and the team is up to 4th. v:

Too many "ERROR: ROUND OFF" restarts on Skylake, will shut it down when I work out how to do it cleanly. Have edited all 4 prpclient.ini files to activate stopasoption 6 but it isn't working and new work is being downloaded. Not to worry, the 16 instances on the other box all run without error and will help us keep on chooglin'.

Something is wrong with Skylake box, that's 2 projects now with heaps of errors. Could be memory related, will do some memory testing later. This high speed G. Skill memory has been a bit dodgy right from the start, bah, humbug. That's 2 memory makers in my bad books now, Corsair and G.Skill. That's the beauty of having 2 boxes though, one mucks up and the other just keeps on crunching.

Just got latest electricity bill, 42.63 kWh per day which is only 5% more usage than same time last year. Considering aircon has been on more than ever before due to record heat this year, means dual socket box can't be too power hungry. Of course haven't done much GPU crunching so that helps keep it down a bit.

Dingo

I jumped you for a while I am now in 5th place and you are in 8th and the Team is in 4th place but closing on the PrimeSearchTeam.  I am not having any problems but the linux are only running on 32 bit I think as they are using the llr app and not the llr-64.  There is no llr-64 for linux but maybe the llr is 64 bit who knows but they take a lot longer to run that the Windows ones up to 20 hours.

Radioactive@home graph

Dingo

With two and a half days to go the Team is in Position3, just hanging in there, and Kashi is in position eight and I am in position five.  Not sure where we will finish as I need to close down 9 instances on Sunday just leaving 16 running on a dedicated server on the web, but we have done good with just two members.   :rocks

Work in PRPNet 121 Prime Search Project Challenge counts towards your PSA badge on primegrid.

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Aargh, my last 34 tests completed have come from server 27 not server 121 so haven't been counted in the Challenge.  :banghead

Wondered why my Challenge stats haven't been increasing. Should have had an extra 2 million or so points by now. Only selected server 121, definitely didn't select server 27, wonder how it changed itself, weird.

Ah well, never mind, I'll change it back to server 121 only now and hope it sticks this time.

Dingo

I was wondering why your task number never went up all day.  Those gremlins have been at it again,  :banghead but we have a chance to get the Team to second place maybe  :BigGrin

Radioactive@home graph

kashi

Have started returning correct 121 server tasks again. :thumbsup:

Looks like those prpclient.ini configuration gremlins may have mucked you around too.  Noticed you have 8 tests pending completion during the last day on client "dingo7" that aren't assigned to any team plus another test on "dingo7" from a few days ago also unassigned to team.

Seen on bottom of this page: http://u-g-f.de/PRPNet/user_search?uid=Dingo

Dingo

Yes the Team was taken out of the file for Dingo7 so none of the task done for who knows how long have gone against the Team, but I fixed that so they should have the team on them from now on.  The others are tasks that when I first set up prp-net I had a lot of problems on Linux and I guess these are the tasks that I tried to run then but it just looks like four are not going to run ?

Radioactive@home graph