News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project News - MilkyWay@Home

Started by Cruncher Pete, March 26, 2009, 08:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruncher Pete

From MilkyWay News Archive:

26 Mar 09:

Sorry for the recent lack of communication, but we've been working on quite a few things behind the scenes here.
First, my new laptop just came in the mail, so I'll be able to seriously start working on a CUDA version of the milkyway application. We'll be developing this for OS X, Linux and Windows.
Second, we're going to be doing a few server-side changes to how things are run, which should significantly help with workunit reporting and work availability. We'll be splitting MilkyWay@Home into two separate applications/backends, Milkyway regular and Milkyway GPU. This will allow us to keep current workunit sizes for non-GPU applications, while farming a lot more work out to the GPUs (so they need to contact the server less frequently). We'll be doing different optimization methods on the regular Milkway and the GPU Milkyway so they'll both be doing equally valid research. In the next day or two I'll be posting the code that the application will be using for the GPU version. After testing to make sure that it's working correctly we'll swap to only awarding credit to the GPU applications for GPU milkyway (that way our servers wont be as bogged down, which will mean better work availability). Also, before a credit firestorm erupts again, we have no plans to award less credit/work to the GPU applications, so you don't need to worry about that.

edit: changed title to Project News

Tixx

WOW! how great are those news!!
:mwalk: :mwalk: :mwalk:

milkyway on cuda, BRING IT ON!!

yoda

Sounds good, especially the CUDA part!

Cruncher Pete

From Milkyway News Artchive:

There might be some downtime this afternoon as we should be meeting with labstaff to get the MilkywayGPU@Home project up and running. I'll also be posting CPU code for the GPU application this afternoon so the people who have made the GPU application for the ATI cards can get their hands on it and modify it so it works with ATI cards. We should have the CUDA code out sometime this week.

Cruncher Pete

From Milkyway News Archive:

19 May 09:

The reason we went down today a few times was that there were power outages on campus while they were doing things to the electrical system. Hopefully things should be up and running smoothly now.

Cruncher Pete

FromMilkyWay News Archive:

20 May 09:

Looks like the power is going to be out until tomorrow morning with another outage tomorrow afternoon. I'll post more information as we know about it.

Tixx

FromMilkyWay News Archive:

20 May 09:

Looks like I've finally gotten the CUDA application working. I'm in the process of cleaning up the code, and it should be available for you to play around with tonight. It's my first crack at a CUDA application, so it's a bit rough, but currently it's crunching the current stripe 82 WUs in around a minute using a GeForce 9600M GT. I'm sure there's quite a bit more optimization we can to do get it running even faster, as this is the first version and not optimized at all. Part of the reason this has taken so long was that I was doing quite a bit of testing comparing double and single precision math on the GPU. I've come up with some schemes that will allow us to use older graphics cards which don't support double precision math (like the GeForce I've been using); which should let a lot more of our users be able to use the GPU application. More news later when I post the code.--Travis

Tixx

whats the go with milky and their cuda app??
aparently its out, but none of my cuda systems are picking any wus.. anything i have to do manually, or will it start crunching the gpu-wus automatically?

kashi

Only the code is released so far, not any work units yet.

It is going to be run as a separate project from MilkyWay@Home on CPU and you will have to attach to it. The url to attach in BOINC is the same as the separate website: http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway_gpu/

After the official MilkyWay GPU application is released, then support for the current third party ATI only GPU application will be removed for the CPU project.

BF

From the MilkyWay news feed:

Monday, 8 June 2009 10:00 AM

Project News: 3 stream searches and the ATI GPU fix

We are once again attempting 3 stream searches. If you are getting errors relating to the search ps_sgr_235_3s_4 you can get a fixed version of the code here ( http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=886#24282 ) compliments of Cluster Physik

BF

June 9, 2009

Power Outage & Work Availability Update

There was just a power outage which took out the server, it should be back up and running now. I also did an update to the feeder which has it running more frequently. I think this should improve the work availability. Let us know how things are working.

Visual Search Progress

I made a little update to the search progress forum thread. You can now see how the searches are progressing here.

BF

Search Progess on the Main Page
Wednesday, 10 June 2009 10:00 AM
If you look below the news, the plots describing the progress of the different searches we're running is now on the main page. They're updated every five minutes.

Nathan Cole's PhD Thesis
Wednesday, 10 June 2009 10:00 AM
Nate finished up his PhD thesis and we've made it available here. Its also in our publications section. Thanks everyone for your help!

BF

Busy news day for MilkyWay today!  :faint:

Science Sticky Thread Started

June 11, 2009

We have started a thread in the science forums relating to the astrophysics portion of the project for those who are interested.

New Search Accuracy and Runs

June 11, 2009

A few more optimizations to the search process have been made, so we're running some of the old stripes again to get better fits. The new runs are ps_new_11_1, for example.

CUDA Code for Milkway@Home

June 11, 2009

Since it looks like the server is handling things fine (no work shortages), I've put out the CUDA code for milkyway@home. If this works and the server holds up we won't need milkywayGPU@home. The code can be downloaded in the usual code release directory. I've also added two CUDA binaries for intel versions of OS X, single and double precision if anyone would like to test them out. They're also in the code release directory. If anyone would like to test the code for linux and windows that would be appreciated. I've started a new forum thread about this here.

Short Workunits

June 11, 2009

Matts searches had the wrong sized integral so they were crunching much faster than expected. We've stopped these so there shouldn't be any new short workunits.

Cuda Update

June 11, 2009

I noticed a problem in the binaries and code I put on the code download page. I removed them to do some fixes, but they should be available tonight or at the latest tomorrow morning.

Camping!

June 11, 2009

Travis here. I'm going to be camping until Sunday so don't break anything while I'm gone. Hopefully Matt and John will keep the server running and filled with work for you guys :) I'm still having a few problems with the CUDA application for regular milkyway, so it'll probably be out Monday or Tuesday after I get back.

BF

From the MilkyWay@Home news feed:

Explanation of Milkyway@Home Astronomy Progress

Monday, 15 June 2009 10:00 AM

John has made the following post in the science section.  It's an in depth explanantion of the current astronomy work being done here and quite readable and easy to understand (even I can get it).  I recommend it if you'd like to know a bit more about what's going on here on the astronomy end of things.

--Travis

BF

From the MilkyWay@Home news feed:

Project News: RAC minimum on the Cafe

Monday, 22 June 2009, 10:00:00 AM

Do to some rather unsavory activity in the Cafe, it now has a minimum RAC of 5 to enable posting messages.--Travis