News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Project Update

Started by Dingo, May 31, 2018, 04:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

We are in the higheest position in the world that we have ever been.  Well done Team  https://boincstats.com/en/stats/5/team/detail/73

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

shift

JugNut

Quote from: Dingo on May 31, 2018, 04:03:50 PM
We are in the higheest position in the world that we have ever been.  Well done Team  https://boincstats.com/en/stats/5/team/detail/73

Ooh yea!! that's the way ah-ha ah-ha we like it,  ah-ha ah-ha :dance2:

- Participated in AA's 27 - 55 & Team Challenge # 1.
My team (Boinc@Australia) stat's
My personal stat's

Crunching today for a better tomorrow...

Dataman

We will, we will rock you.
:rocks

Dataman

zzrhardy

We are 3rd in RAC at the moment according to https://einsteinathome.org/community/stats  , though I imagine SETI.Germany will mobilise soon as they are very competitive.

In total credit we have overtaken Russia Team for 15th place.

Current builds: Kuroneko and Chibineko

chooka03

In regards to my comment on the Einstein forum Jugnut, I'm actually undecided if I would give BOINC away entirely. I'm leaning toward the "would give it away" rather than "wouldn't" but I wanted to make a statement on the forum.
I would certainly save a lot of money by giving away this hobby both in electricity usage and machine equipment but I would dearly miss the regular chat on this forum  :thumbdown:

I hope the stats can be maintained. It would be such a shame that these new laws could royally screw this volunteer organisation. It would go down in history with the old adage... "Back in my day.... they didn't have these stupid laws."... etc etc.

There's actually quite a few old guys I talk to these days who just say they are happy to be at the end of their working lives.... or life in general really. The world's gone mad and it seems to be getting worse!

:oz:

chooka03

Hey just a question...when you view your computers in your account and you select "tasks" and view say the valid tasks........ Is the run time shown for each task regardless of how many WU's you were running consecutively? Or do I divide it by 3 (because I'm running 3 WU's concurrently.)

Vega = 960/3 = 320/60 = 5.3Min/WU ?

I should know this by now hey lol  Bashhead

If this is correct, the RX480 is much better than a Vega...... unless I'm better to crunch 2 WU's instead of 3 which is what the RX is doing.

RX480 = 555/2 =277.5/60 = 4.62min/WU.

I'm 99% sure I've got this right but thought I'd double check. Once upon a time when I was testing 0.5 vs 0.33 for Vega WU's, I'm sure there was a speed up running 3 vs 2 WU's. Then again, the work units have likely changed a bit since then.
I might just try it.

Dataman

Quote from: chooka03 on June 02, 2018, 02:24:43 PM
Is the run time shown for each task regardless of how many WU's you were running consecutively?

Yes.

chooka03

Thanks Dataman.

So I tried 2 WU's concurrently with the Vega. Basically 3 is better.

16min for 3 WU = 5.3min/wu
11min for 2 WU = 5.5min/wu

Probably not the best time to be doing this during the AA  :crazy

I wonder what I can squeeze outa the RX480?

If these numbers come up right (and its very early days), I'd be better to sell my Vega for a profit and buy another RX480 or 580. An R9 280x is a cheaper card still but very power hungry compared to the RX series.

Given the Vega 56 outclasses the RX480 in also every way (except speed) I'm not sure what to make of these numbers.

kashi

Anyone else noticed a large variation in the runtime of tasks? My GTX 970 is taking about 50% longer than during a little pre AA trial I did 12 days ago. About 20 minutes a task now and previously it was 13-14 minutes. 20 minutes per task is about 250K per day, on the stingy side of things compared to some other GPU projects. Still suppose the rate applies to everyone at least. Remember years ago Einstein used to have a beta cuda app that was more generous.

I've left 2 CPU threads free, I'll try turning off all Universe CPU tasks for a while to see if it's related to GPU processing being throttled by lack of CPU resources. I know GPUGrid is quite sensitive to that, I only run 4 CPU tasks when running GPUGrid. Also now running those Universe CPU tasks on a Linux VM client, I know this can sometimes slow down GPU processing much more than running the same number of CPU tasks on the Windows host.

Edit: Nope, makes no difference, suspended all CPU tasks for 2 Einstein tasks and they took the same time. Ah well, that's it then, pedalling as fast as I can on these current tasks.

zzrhardy

I belatedly realised I was having issues on Kuroneko with the Vega 64 liquid cooled cards also. The primary one was boosting to 1700+MHz but the other two were idling at about 600MHz. So some work units were averaging 5min and the others 8-9min. I fired up Afterburner and set Core Clock to the base 1406MHz and now all V64 cores are running between 1500 and 1450MHz.

This means WU now just take about 18min across the board running 4WU per card. So about 4:30min per WU/per card -  or a tad higher which is a much better figure.

Another issue cropped up on Chibineko too, it was prioritising CPU tasks over GPU tasks so one of the Titan V's had been sitting completely idle for goodness knows how long. Have turned off CPU work units in the project preferences because they aren't worth idling a Titan V over. PS - the Titan V's are barely faster than the Vega 64's (at these Gamma-ray pulsar binary work units at least).

So all up - hopefully things will be a bit more productive from now on.

Edit: after more experimentation the V64's handle core freq set to 1600MHz in Afterburner without any issue. This is well above base freq but still below max boost freq.

Current builds: Kuroneko and Chibineko

JugNut

@ Kashi: Yea it certainly seems that way.  For me they appear to be about by 25% longer but it's hard to say? All I know is I can't get anywhere near the credit I was getting last time around.  And that's using the exact same hardware too.   Perhaps they've added additional features that require extra processing? 
With a bit of luck these are just some temporary long batches that will return to normal at some point in the future? 
:fingers 
Although that's not the way things usually work,  so it's probably just wishful thinking.

@ zzrhardy: It's good to see you finally got your problems sorted and are now  firing on all cylinders. :thumbsup:

My personal stat's

chooka03

I mentioned the longer run times last week and this is what Gary Roberts replied with -

"If you'd like to know the reason why 220-240 secs has now become 316 secs, you might like to peruse this thread, particularly the recent stuff near the end of the thread.  In the last month, there have been two significant changes in the nature of the data.  The first change, almost a month ago resulted in a significant reduction in the elapsed time to process a task (crunch time).  That has now been reversed, and a bit more for good measure, so it seems :-).  The latest tasks are now taking longer than what was the norm before the speedup earlier in this month.

The longer crunch time is a good thing.  Should take a bit of load off the servers.  They mightn't be quite so frantic in distributing tasks and receiving results :-)"

This was the thread he was referencing - https://einsteinathome.org/content/new-app-or-new-data

I was interested how different a Vega 64 was to my 56. Thanks ZZHardy  :thumbsup:

JugNut

Thanks for the info Chooka you saved me a search. :thumbsup:  + karma

PS Can anyone access boinc-stats?

EDIT: I can reach it now.  Thanks anyway...

My personal stat's