News:

We have a Twiiter Account for the Team https://twitter.com/BOINCAUSTRALIA

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Down

Author Topic: KIVA  (Read 216351 times)

Mysteron347

• Aussie Karma: +101/-0
Re: KIVA
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2021, 04:53:31 AM »

Here's a loan approaching expiry - Repeat borrower, Burkina Faso.

I've never had a default on a Burkina Faso loan - minor exchange-rate losses, but no defaults.

Having said that however, lookee here  and here.

The first "buy 500 male chicks" and the second "buy 900 cockerels". Now why would anyone raise vast quantities of MALE chickens? My conclusion is "to be used for cockfighting" but the FP "YIKRI" denied this when I raised the matter through KIVA - and KIVA allowed the loan to be funded.

I'm not convinced - YIKRI to my no-support list.

Similarly, but extremely more serious Asbestos dumping.

Really? Funding a loan to someone who proposes to dump asbestos? Picture shows "Eric" (or perhaps "Julius" if you read the story) standing in front of piles of dumped asbestos. Transported how? By his motorcycle? Transporting unwrapped asbestos through the streets on a motorcycle, fibres flying everywhere; dumping the asbestos on the surface, where kids will inevitably play with it? Rent the land until the dumping is complete and leave the landowner with a clean-up issue, probably removing the asbestos again or doing who-knows-what with the stuff?

Well, Kudos to Eric for his enterprise. The FP, HOFOKAM responded to Kiva's query that all appropriate licences were in force, despite this being clearly illegal under Ugandan law (I'd sent a link to Kiva). No more HOFOKAM loans for me.

All right - that was in 2014. I've tried (belatedly) telephoning the Fort Portal hospital (they have 3) hoping that their top doctor may take an interest in locating and neutralising this dump. Need to talk to the engine-driver who has enough education and contacts to deal with the matter without causing panic. Sadly, my ISP has taken to blocking all of my overseas access, so I can't even get on to our Ambassador to see whether he could lend a discreet hand. Asbestosis and Mesothelioma are no fun at all. They're a death sentence even with the best of medical care, never mind in a backwater in a third-world country.

jave808

• WEBMASTER
  • Super Hero
  • Aussie Karma: +71/-0
« Reply #376 on: April 02, 2021, 06:47:39 AM »

Here's a loan approaching expiry - Repeat borrower, Burkina Faso.

I've never had a default on a Burkina Faso loan - minor exchange-rate losses, but no defaults.

Having said that however, lookee here  and here.

The first "buy 500 male chicks" and the second "buy 900 cockerels". Now why would anyone raise vast quantities of MALE chickens? My conclusion is "to be used for cockfighting" but the FP "YIKRI" denied this when I raised the matter through KIVA - and KIVA allowed the loan to be funded.

I'm not convinced - YIKRI to my no-support list.

Similarly, but extremely more serious Asbestos dumping.

Really? Funding a loan to someone who proposes to dump asbestos? Picture shows "Eric" (or perhaps "Julius" if you read the story) standing in front of piles of dumped asbestos. Transported how? By his motorcycle? Transporting unwrapped asbestos through the streets on a motorcycle, fibres flying everywhere; dumping the asbestos on the surface, where kids will inevitably play with it? Rent the land until the dumping is complete and leave the landowner with a clean-up issue, probably removing the asbestos again or doing who-knows-what with the stuff?

Well, Kudos to Eric for his enterprise. The FP, HOFOKAM responded to Kiva's query that all appropriate licences were in force, despite this being clearly illegal under Ugandan law (I'd sent a link to Kiva). No more HOFOKAM loans for me.

All right - that was in 2014. I've tried (belatedly) telephoning the Fort Portal hospital (they have 3) hoping that their top doctor may take an interest in locating and neutralising this dump. Need to talk to the engine-driver who has enough education and contacts to deal with the matter without causing panic. Sadly, my ISP has taken to blocking all of my overseas access, so I can't even get on to our Ambassador to see whether he could lend a discreet hand. Asbestosis and Mesothelioma are no fun at all. They're a death sentence even with the best of medical care, never mind in a backwater in a third-world country.

Wow, just wow. I go for loans that help people with the basics - food, clothing and shelter. But dumping asbestos??? No, not with my money!
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1650, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon 64-bit

Mike Mitchell

• Team Recruitment Officer
  • Board Lord
  • Aussie Karma: +823/-0
« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2021, 02:29:48 AM »

"buy 500 male chicks" and the second "buy 900 cockerels"

The 500 might be for eating and the 900 to sell as breeders. Not sure, but there is probably big demand for foul in those farming communities.

As for the asbestos, it has to go somewhere. It's "dumped" here too. Wrapped up and buried. Hopefully, their government has decent laws.

I hope it is all on the up and up, at least
AA's > 1-Malaria 2-Tanpaku 3-Riesl Siev 4-Seti 5-ABC 6-Einstein 7-WCG 8-Seti 9-QMC 10-WCG 11-Cosmo 12-ABC 13-MilkyWay 14-3x+1 15-Rosetta 16-ABC 17-MilkyWay 18-Einstein 19-WCG 20-WCG 21-Poem 22-Rosetta 23-Docking 24-Spinhenge 25-Alternate 26-Simap 27-Alternate 28-Constellation 29-WCG 30-Edges 31-Alternate 32-Pogs 33-WCG 34-Seti 35-Pogs 36-Poem 37-Pogs 38-Asteroids 39-Pogs 40-Simap 41-Pogs 42-Seti

turbo0

• Aussie Karma: +98/-0
« Reply #378 on: October 07, 2021, 06:17:16 PM »

Started a new Job and have some extra cash so making a few new loans on the teams behalf. :oz:
Destop - Ryzen 7 1700@3.7ghz, Sapphire 5600XT/P106-90, 16gb DDR4-3200, Samsung 512MB NVMe, 29" 1080p Ultra Widescreen, Win 10
Laptop - Ryzen 7 4800H, GTX1660ti/RXVega7, 16gb DDR4-3200, 1.5TB NVMe, Full HD 144Hz IPS, Win 10
SFF Media PC - i7 3770@3.7ghz, GTX1650LP, 16gb DDR3-2133, 256GB WD SSD, 4k Ultra 65inch TV, Win 10
Old Laptop - i5 2430M, 4GB, 256GB Crucial SSD, Win 10
Tablet - Intel Atom Z3740, 2GB RAM, 32GB ROM, Win 10

Folding@Home Stats
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.