News:

Members can see all forum boards and posts. Non members can only see a few boards.  If you have forgotten your password use this link to change it.
https://forum.boinc-australia.net/index.php?action=reminder

Main Menu

Bizarrely low flops

Started by TouchuvGrey, January 16, 2021, 10:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooka03

I personally think the best value cards for M@H is the R9 280X. At about $100 for a second hand one, it does really well at M@H and Einstein@home.
The RX480 or 580 is also a good option and better on the wallet for power usage. I see you could buy 3 x 280X for the price of 1 secondhand RX580. Again... you may want to factor in power usage though.... and heat.
When i run my 280x or even my Vega 56's, you are pumping out 80 - 90 degrees C per card.

This is where it really depends on the projects you like running. Ie - I like M@H and E@H and my cards do well at those projects..... Primegrid though.... all my cards (including the Radeon VII) get smashed by NVIDIA.

TouchuvGrey

New ( 2nd hand ) box up and running.
i5 4570, 16GB RAM, R9 280X water cooled GPU
running 1 WU at a time right now. Will run that way for a
day or so and then try 2 or maybe 3.

chooka03

Water cooled...wow  :thumbsup:
I run 2 consecutive on my 280x.

tazzduke

Congrats TouchuvGrey, no stopping you now  :cheers:

AA 24 - 53 participant

TouchuvGrey

A bit more in the mix now

Milyway@Home    GPU WU's

Machine #1  R9 280X + RX580
Machine #2  R9 280X
Machine #3  R9 280X
Machine #4  TX 580 (2)

Universe@Home

All machines running CPU WU's

chooka03

It might be early days but are you reserving a core for each of those GPU's? ie - Your 8600K is crunching 4 CPU tasks out of your 6 cores? (because you have 2 GPU's so hence reserving 2 cores)

TouchuvGrey

Thank you Chooka. As usual i have overlooked something.

Like the other day when i spent 2 hours trying to figure
out why a computer would not boot into Windows and
finally realized that i had left one connector unplugged.

chooka03

All good mate  :thumbsup:
I was looking at your credits and they were quite low. The GPU was being starved. Watch it rocket now over the next couple of days!  :cheer1: