News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

Open Pandemics GPU Beta Test

Started by shift, February 26, 2021, 06:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shift

I have just noticed WCG has started GPU work in beta for Open Pandemics of course I can't seem to get any so maybe the first batch has been crunched already.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=43205

"We are starting a beta test for the GPU version of AutoDock for the Open Pandemics - COVID-19 project. There are a few minor changes to the code still to come. However, this first version is running stable in our internal testing and we know volunteers are very eager to help.

To be able to receive any beta work, volunteers will want to make sure that on the website under My Contributions -> Beta Testing, they have checked the device profiles that they wish to participate in beta.

Also, there is a change to the website to allow work on each GPU vendor. For this, volunteers will need to go to Settings->Device Manager->Device Profiles. From there, select each device profile you wish to run GPU work on and scroll down to the Graphics Card Usage section. In that section you can select which type of cards you want to allow to run between ATI/NVIDIA/Intel. In this section there is also a setting to allow GPU work while your computer is in use. It is recommended to set this to no (which is the default setting). While GPU work is running on the card that drives your display, your general computer usage may be impacted."

BTW what were the subprojects on WCG that used to use GPUs?

chooka03

Thanks for the update Shift  :thumbsup:
I'm not aware of any WCG sub projects that ever used the GPU. This will be great if they get it up and running.  :cheers:

tazzduke

Hi All

Bit of a delay in the next Beta workunits, Uplinger mentioned in the WCG Forums, having a build issue they are trying to rectify.

They had a GPU app for Help Conquer Cancer (HCC), but this was way back in 2013.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

shift

:greet

I've just got some beta WUs, they are estimating at 32 minutes but are taking more like 13 minutes.

Dingo

World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graphics Processing Units
The software that powers OpenPandemics - COVID-19 has been adapted to use GPU power. This will not only help the researchers to screen more molecules, but also could help them study molecules that are more complex.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=693

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

Proud Founder and member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA

My Luck Prime 1,056,356 digits.
Have a look at my  Web Cam of Parliament House Ottawa, CANADA

shift

Sweet. Has anyone seen one of these in the wild (non-beta) yet?

chooka03

I'm trying to get some work now but no luck.
I'll probably give up soon as the WW challenge is just around the corner.

Its a shame WCG don't have a page that shows how much work is available.

shift

I managed to get about three after I posted. They aren't as rare as the TB workunits but definitely not a reliable source of work/

shift

I'm not sure if I should assume everyone saw this already but they are doing a stress test on their GPU pipeline starting 4am AEST April 28 (I think, they said 1800 UTC today) so people should get plenty of work for a few days.

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,43386

Edit: maybe it started this morning? the website seems buggy and the project seems to be temperamental at the moment, maybe it already crashed!

chooka03

I've done a few work units this morning. Yes, the website seems to be struggling.
I've noticed the run times are all over the place. One of my pc's running 1 wu at a time, the times range from 3:19 - 6:03. I'm not sure how much credit you get for these tasks either. WCG isn't as user friendly to see those stats as other projects. imo anyway.

tazzduke

Grabbed a few before i left for work, i have seen a few completed workunits on my account at WCG.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

I started running the GPU tasks yesterday and the results so far are not known as the results page shows they are all still "Pending Validation.   There are about 38 pending with BOINC credit claimed as 0.8 per task and 0 Valid.

The tasks are taking between 1 min 54 sec to 2 min 27 min on my 1660 Ti.

Radioactive@home graph
Have a look at the BOINC@AUSTRALIA Facebook Page and join and also the Twitter Page.

chooka03

That's pretty quick Dingo  :thumbsup: Faster than my Radeon VII.
I'm starting to run down my existing work in preparation for the Pentathlon. I see some disciplines will be announced 30/04/21 and depending on what they are, I WILL be bunkering the best I can.

tazzduke

Good Morning

Overnight, the length of the GPU workunits has increased (so has the credits, this was pointed out in the WCG forums), also not having anymore upload/download delays.

On my GPU's am doing them in between 7-10mins, so most likely faster on more powerful GPU's though.

From what I can gather, they have loaded up more jobs inside each workunit.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dingo

I created an app_cofig.xml or this new GPU app to run 3 tasks at a time for NVIDIA.  You will have to change it for AMD graphics cards.

<app_config>
<app_version>
  <app_name>opng</app_name>
  <plan_class>opencl_nvidia_102</plan_class>
  <avg_ncpus>1</avg_ncpus>
  <ngpus>0.3</ngpus>
    <ngpus>0.5</ngpus>
</app_version>
</app_config>

EDIT:   I changed it to run two tasks as three seemed to take a lot longer.

Radioactive@home graph