News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

IBM will no longer run WCG

Started by Dataman, September 14, 2021, 05:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dataman

jave808

I'm not sure either. IBM is a big company, but I know nothing about the Krembil Institute.

If nothing really changes, and is a move to benefit most people, then go right ahead.

Interesting to see of some projects are canned etc.
PC1: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @3.4GHz, 128GB DDR4, RTX3070, RTX3060, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit
PC2: Lenovo M700 SFF, Intel i5-6400 @2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, Intel graphics, Linux Mint 21.2 64-bit

tazzduke

The Krembil Institute has been involved with WCG, subprojects being SCC and MCM.

I think this may be positive for the grid, opens up the possibilities for other subprojects, one being Parkinsons.

Due to the only 3 active projects, researchers on both ARP1 and MCM have posted abouted the speedup they have noticed, which has made them happy.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

WCG's announcement raises the question as to how BOINCStats (and other stat's services) will handle this change. Will the WCG project be retired and a new Krembil project started or will WCG's name just be changed to Krembil?

For what it's worth, I prefer a new project rather than just a name change.

I posted this question at BOINCStats (Index>The Projects >WCG finds a new home at Krembil Research Institute). If you have an opinion, you may want to post it here:

https://www.boincstats.com/forum/10/12730,1

UPDATE: I asked this question to IBM and they are transferring the trademark WCG to Kremil and the name will not change.

Dataman

tazzduke

Had a quick look

Some of it is good, but what they have done to the badges and such well  :thumbdown:

But all that can be expressed through their forums.

Cheers

AA 24 - 53 participant

Dataman

I went through it in depth last night and really nothing has changed; just moved around. The only new feature is the "streak" function <yawn>. Kevin fixed the big blunders; no detail by project and badges without the years showing.

I do not like the new badges but then I did not like the old ones either.

The new logo (three black circles) does not show much creativity.

:y