News:

If you are a member of the Team on BOINC you still need to register on this forum to see the member posts.  The posts available for visitors are not posted to much by members.
 Remember to answer the questions when Registering and also you must be a active member of Team BOINC@AUSTRALIA on BOINC.

Main Menu

So, which faster app......

Started by Furlozza, December 02, 2009, 12:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furlozza

should I download for TheGnat to get the most out of this project, since MW and SETI are starting to really get up me nose.

Have the latest (195.xx) driver, and Cuda 3 now up and running and it is doing gpu wus at the moment, but under the standard app, and since the descriptions of the mod apps are not exactly crystal clear to me, am at a loos as to which one to grab.

(truth be known, realised that soon will just have Gen Life to worry about, and am/have lost interest in it)

dyeman

I don't think there is any performance penalty in the standard app.  It certainly generates a lot more credit than SETI or GPUGRID on Nvidia - 3 to 4 times.   Even my lowly 9500GT did about 7000 per day, and none of the deadline issues there are with GPUGRID.  On ATI, I saw about 15% greater throughput going to Catalyst 9.10 vs 8.12, however Milkyway doesn't work on 9.10 for me so I have to stick with 8.12 if I want to have a backup project.  Collatz does around 40K per day on an ATI 4830, much the same as MW I think

Folding Stats

Furlozza

Thanks Dyeman.

TheGnat is averaging 35-40 mins per Collatz wu on 195.xx driver and CUDA 3. When I first looked at the credit claimed, was shocked, nay horrified to see it was .13 to .15 cr.

Imagine my relief when I checked later to see that they'd returned between 690 and 750 credits. Not a bad return for effectively 35-40 mins of actual run time...... 900crs per hr..... or if you want to go real crazy, look at the cpu usage *grin*

So, will leave it as it is at the moment. Got one CPU wu at start=up, and it seems to be going to take as long as AQUA, except it is just on one core, not utilising both of TheGnat's.

kashi

If you are talking Windows CUDA there are no optimised apps, so what is automatically downloaded when you attach is the only option.

If you wish to run Linux CUDA however you would need to download it from the "Power Optimized Applications" page and install it yourself.

For Windows ATI there are optimised apps, but they are really only needed for those who have some problems with the default automatically downloaded apps. Those with HD 4870 and above may choose to use an optimised app to be able to increase their speed a bit if their GPU load percentage is too low. This may result in a gain of between a few percent up to 15% for a card that is overclocked to say 950 MHz. Lower than optimum GPU load usually only happens with a few faster ATI cards and can vary depending on overclock and which Catalyst driver version is installed.

It certainly is a good little earner. :)

Vajras

veebee

I was getting a bit worried when I saw Furry's post saying that the collatz GPU work units were taking him 35 to 40 minutes... mine were taking me 50 - 55 mins.

I have been running the GTX 275's at stock as GPU grid doesn't (or didn't) like running on overclocked cards...

I decided to try Collatz with the card back up to where I new it was "stable " enough ... and they're now being done in around 25 minutes !  the last dozenor so WU's have worked out at an average of ...

1832 credits per hour !!!!! thats gonna be worth (once all the rest are validated) .. around 44K a day !   :dance2:

Might be time to swap BOTH 275's over !!

Furlozza

HMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm wonder what'd happen if I bumped the GTS250 up a few notches *WEG*

or buy another GTX285..... or.... DOWN YOU IDIOT!!!!! Spending money like it was going outta business...... idiot :hbang: